• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Pinewood Derby Style

So I thought I might put this in the "build" forum but didn't want to offend any our good members who do actual work on real cars. As such, here is my NSX "Pinewood Derby" build that my son and I have been working on for the past couple weeks in preparation for this Thursday's big race!

IMG_6094.jpgIMG_6095.jpgIMG_6102.jpgIMG_6121.jpgIMG_6119.jpg

What a cool idea. It took me back to my father and I's pinewood derby car build. I loved snakes as a youngster and he was a custom car painter. We ended up with a pinewood car with the shape of a cobra, large front end with a smaller trailing tail, with custom paint. Much like the nsx with a low nose and a trailing tail. This story really brought me back. Thanks!
Fyi, use powdered graphite on the axel's and wheels! A lil secret we used to win!

Last edited:
Cool! How many hours do you estimate that it took to make?

2-3 hours of cutting and sanding. 1-2 hours of paint and prep. 1 hour of drilling and weighting. I'll let you know once we finish the axles and wheels.

UPDATE: My son and I spent another 2 hours last night prepping the wheels and axles and another 15 minutes putting on a layer of clear coat. We will be putting on the wheels tonight. My son put a lot of time into the sanding while I was at work so my prior estimate may be off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What a cool idea. It took me back to my father and I's pinewood derby car build. I loved snakes as a youngster and he was a custom car painter. We ended up with a pinewood car with the shape of a cobra, large front end with a smaller trailing tail, with custom paint. Much like the nsx with a low nose and a trailing tail. This story really brought me back. Thanks!
Fyi, use powdered graphite on the axel's and wheels! A lil secret we used to win!

Glad to trigger some good memories!!

This would be a fun idea to pull of before or after dinner at an NSXPO. [MENTION=18674]jcbadcura[/MENTION]
[MENTION=28247]vivanshah[/MENTION] one idea for if/when we look to doing an NSXPO in the magnificent city of Pittsburgh, home of some of the best easy-to-access country roads. :)

Awesome!
I bet getting the integrated spoiler right took some effort.

I remember making one as a kid, but I didn't have my attention to detail that I do now so it didn't do so well (the axles were skewed, lol).
I actually think it might still be somewhere in my parents' house, hehe.

Good luck on the big race! Keep us posted.

Awesome!
I bet getting the integrated spoiler right took some effort.

I remember making one as a kid, but I didn't have my attention to detail that I do now so it didn't do so well (the axles were skewed, lol).
I actually think it might still be somewhere in my parents' house, hehe.

Good luck on the big race! Keep us posted.

Yes, the spoiler took a bit of work. We are still working on the wheels and axles. Tomorrow is the big race so I will update with the results … unless they are just horrible in which case I will go radio silent! ;-)

e0111590818aa747fc7f7039f0a37b10.jpg

Race ready!!

Nice work.....mexi flush:biggrin:

This is so awesome, something completely new here.

And with Zanardi / Type-S wheels too, where the aspect ratio of the rears looks surprisingly appropriate.

I'm glad this isn't my son's car because currently I wouldn't have time to Photoshop or Illustrator may way towards creating some Acura emblems and taillights, laser printed onto label paper and then X-acto-knifed onto the car.

And, taking an NSX to a bunch of male cub scout eyes is hilariously appropriate. Just maybe warn your son that any Brownie cheerleaders or groupies (or girl scout cougars) present may not be too interested in your son's awesome machine there, so he's not disappointed.

:)

Darn it, I can't see the race ready picture, but docjohn and Yinzer's descriptions give me a pretty good idea of what it looks like.

lol, at Yinzer's insight into NSX/female relations.

Go Team gmeads and son!

p.s. Apparently the Pinewood Derby NSX is not a new notion base on the Similar Threads listed at the bottom of the page.

And, taking an NSX to a bunch of male cub scout eyes is hilariously appropriate. Just maybe warn your son that any Brownie cheerleaders or groupies (or girl scout cougars) present may not be too interested in your son's awesome machine there, so he's not disappointed.

:)

Haha! Yes, keeping the “Brownies” away for a few more years is a good thing!

Darn it, I can't see the race ready picture, but docjohn and Yinzer's descriptions give me a pretty good idea of what it looks like.

lol, at Yinzer's insight into NSX/female relations.

Go Team gmeads and son!

p.s. Apparently the Pinewood Derby NSX is not a new notion base on the Similar Threads listed at the bottom of the page.

Thanks! And yes, I am not surprised that some of our other members have done this before. The level of commitment to the NSX in this community is just too strong for us to have been the first. I would like to think, however, that our execution puts us near the top ;-).

Thanks! And yes, I am not surprised that some of our other members have done this before. The level of commitment to the NSX in this community is just too strong for us to have been the first. I would like to think, however, that our execution puts us near the top ;-).

I finally saw the picture (thanks to some help from Yinzer), it looked great! Especially considering what you typically start with for a Pinewood Derby racer.

So how did the race go?

So how did the race go?

Race started out great. In our first four heats our times were top of the pack and our “effective speeds” were as follows:

1. 202.1
2. 200.2
3. 198.7
4. 198.5

Then our times dropped off in the last four heats and we finished in either 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP].

5. 196.7
6. 196.8
7. 196.3
8. 196.9

I was diligent in re-applying the graphite in between races but wonder if I over applied. In any event, my son was thrilled that we did as well as we did but there is definite room for improvement next year.

Congrats!

What are the effective speeds measured in? How were other people running in comparison?

Hey, at least you guys were very consistent in the last four heats. And it looks like you guys had some blistering speeds to start off with.

Keep it up for next year!

hopefully the cars were weighed before hand to root out any cheaters.

Race started out great. In our first four heats our times were top of the pack and our “effective speeds” were as follows:

1. 202.1
2. 200.2
3. 198.7
4. 198.5

Then our times dropped off in the last four heats and we finished in either 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP].

5. 196.7
6. 196.8
7. 196.3
8. 196.9

I was diligent in re-applying the graphite in between races but wonder if I over applied. In any event, my son was thrilled that we did as well as we did but there is definite room for improvement next year.

The wheel alignment and weight placement are big factors. My son's car had an adjusted speed average in the mid 230 MPH range and was good enough for tops in his pack, but once we got to the regionals the top guys were in the mid 240's to 250 MPH range. We had no chance. No matter though your sons car looks very cool.

Back