Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: NSX Pinewood Derby Style

  1. #1
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    NSX Pinewood Derby Style

    So I thought I might put this in the "build" forum but didn't want to offend any our good members who do actual work on real cars. As such, here is my NSX "Pinewood Derby" build that my son and I have been working on for the past couple weeks in preparation for this Thursday's big race!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6094.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	142625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6095.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	142621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6102.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	142622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6121.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	315.2 KB 
ID:	142624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6119.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	142623

  2. #2
    NSXPrime Platinum CStricker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hokkaido, Japan / SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    450
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! How many hours do you estimate that it took to make?
    2000 NSX-T Silverstone - Stock -
    NSXCA Member

  3. #3
    Charter Gold sca037's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    1,908
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!
    Red/Black 1992
    17/18 Advan Model 5's, '02 headers + RM Racing 'DTM' muffler, Bilsteins

  4. #4
    NSXPrime Platinum Jinks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    El Sobrante, CA.
    Posts
    2,787
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a cool idea. It took me back to my father and I's pinewood derby car build. I loved snakes as a youngster and he was a custom car painter. We ended up with a pinewood car with the shape of a cobra, large front end with a smaller trailing tail, with custom paint. Much like the nsx with a low nose and a trailing tail. This story really brought me back. Thanks!
    Fyi, use powdered graphite on the axel's and wheels! A lil secret we used to win!
    Last edited by Jinks; 03-20-2017 at 17:44.
    1991 ctsc, night rider. All black in and out, black rg3, 340 whp, all on oem ecu. CF roof/interior

  5. #5
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CStricker View Post
    Cool! How many hours do you estimate that it took to make?
    2-3 hours of cutting and sanding. 1-2 hours of paint and prep. 1 hour of drilling and weighting. I'll let you know once we finish the axles and wheels.

    UPDATE: My son and I spent another 2 hours last night prepping the wheels and axles and another 15 minutes putting on a layer of clear coat. We will be putting on the wheels tonight. My son put a lot of time into the sanding while I was at work so my prior estimate may be off.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gmeads; 03-21-2017 at 13:57.

  6. #6
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinks View Post
    What a cool idea. It took me back to my father and I's pinewood derby car build. I loved snakes as a youngster and he was a custom car painter. We ended up with a pinewood car with the shape of a cobra, large front end with a smaller trailing tail, with custom paint. Much like the nsx with a low nose and a trailing tail. This story really brought me back. Thanks!
    Fyi, use powdered graphite on the axel's and wheels! A lil secret we used to win!
    Glad to trigger some good memories!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    NSXPrime Gold Yinzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,750
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be a fun idea to pull of before or after dinner at an NSXPO. @jcbadcura
    @vivanshah one idea for if/when we look to doing an NSXPO in the magnificent city of Pittsburgh, home of some of the best easy-to-access country roads.
    NSXCA#3229 | 1993GPW#0628 | INSTAGRAM#YINZERVICH YETI

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    31
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool. I remember competing in that as a kid.

  9. #9
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by runnin9z View Post
    Very cool. I remember competing in that as a kid.
    Some of my favorite memories as a boy were making Pinewood derby cars with my dad.

  10. #10
    Registered User JLCoolman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    951
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!
    I bet getting the integrated spoiler right took some effort.

    I remember making one as a kid, but I didn't have my attention to detail that I do now so it didn't do so well (the axles were skewed, lol).
    I actually think it might still be somewhere in my parents' house, hehe.

    Good luck on the big race! Keep us posted.

  11. #11
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLCoolman View Post
    Awesome!
    I bet getting the integrated spoiler right took some effort.

    I remember making one as a kid, but I didn't have my attention to detail that I do now so it didn't do so well (the axles were skewed, lol).
    I actually think it might still be somewhere in my parents' house, hehe.

    Good luck on the big race! Keep us posted.
    Yes, the spoiler took a bit of work. We are still working on the wheels and axles. Tomorrow is the big race so I will update with the results … unless they are just horrible in which case I will go radio silent! ;-)

  12. #12
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Race ready!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Charter Hero docjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    17,501
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work.....mexi flush
    96 with an 00 3.2L motor and 5 speed/shorties/4.23r&p....because Dave said so....

  14. #14
    NSXPrime Gold Yinzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,750
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so awesome, something completely new here.

    And with Zanardi / Type-S wheels too, where the aspect ratio of the rears looks surprisingly appropriate.

    I'm glad this isn't my son's car because currently I wouldn't have time to Photoshop or Illustrator may way towards creating some Acura emblems and taillights, laser printed onto label paper and then X-acto-knifed onto the car.

    And, taking an NSX to a bunch of male cub scout eyes is hilariously appropriate. Just maybe warn your son that any Brownie cheerleaders or groupies (or girl scout cougars) present may not be too interested in your son's awesome machine there, so he's not disappointed.

    NSXCA#3229 | 1993GPW#0628 | INSTAGRAM#YINZERVICH YETI

  15. #15
    Registered User JLCoolman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    951
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn it, I can't see the race ready picture, but docjohn and Yinzer's descriptions give me a pretty good idea of what it looks like.

    lol, at Yinzer's insight into NSX/female relations.

    Go Team gmeads and son!


    p.s. Apparently the Pinewood Derby NSX is not a new notion base on the Similar Threads listed at the bottom of the page.

  16. #16
    Charter Gold gleibig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,932
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silver woulda been faster.
    '91 Sebring Silver

  17. #17
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post

    And, taking an NSX to a bunch of male cub scout eyes is hilariously appropriate. Just maybe warn your son that any Brownie cheerleaders or groupies (or girl scout cougars) present may not be too interested in your son's awesome machine there, so he's not disappointed.

    Haha! Yes, keeping the “Brownies” away for a few more years is a good thing!

  18. #18
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLCoolman View Post
    Darn it, I can't see the race ready picture, but docjohn and Yinzer's descriptions give me a pretty good idea of what it looks like.

    lol, at Yinzer's insight into NSX/female relations.

    Go Team gmeads and son!


    p.s. Apparently the Pinewood Derby NSX is not a new notion base on the Similar Threads listed at the bottom of the page.
    Thanks! And yes, I am not surprised that some of our other members have done this before. The level of commitment to the NSX in this community is just too strong for us to have been the first. I would like to think, however, that our execution puts us near the top ;-).

  19. #19
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gleibig View Post
    Silver woulda been faster.
    Perhaps, but my instructions from my son were that it needed to match the one in the garage!

  20. #20
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docjohn View Post
    Nice work.....mexi flush
    Yes, the block and wheels options don’t allow for much else. Lol!

  21. #21
    Registered User JLCoolman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    951
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmeads View Post
    Thanks! And yes, I am not surprised that some of our other members have done this before. The level of commitment to the NSX in this community is just too strong for us to have been the first. I would like to think, however, that our execution puts us near the top ;-).
    I finally saw the picture (thanks to some help from Yinzer), it looked great! Especially considering what you typically start with for a Pinewood Derby racer.


    So how did the race go?

  22. #22
    Registered User gmeads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLCoolman View Post
    So how did the race go?
    Race started out great. In our first four heats our times were top of the pack and our “effective speeds” were as follows:

    1. 202.1
    2. 200.2
    3. 198.7
    4. 198.5

    Then our times dropped off in the last four heats and we finished in either 2nd or 3rd.

    5. 196.7
    6. 196.8
    7. 196.3
    8. 196.9

    I was diligent in re-applying the graphite in between races but wonder if I over applied. In any event, my son was thrilled that we did as well as we did but there is definite room for improvement next year.

Similar Threads

  1. Pinewood Derby NSX ?
    By FeetFxr in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 20:44
  2. Palm Beach Derby-Q; May 5th...
    By XSNSXTC in forum Southeast US Region
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 17:21
  3. Pinewood Racer
    By zahntech in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:52
  4. Kentucky Derby......Wow!!!!
    By DocL in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 14:38
  5. Diaper Derby Autocross
    By ANYTIME in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 13:30

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •