• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trying to compare BASE versions - no options - NSX, R8 and 911 turbo

From what I can find on YouTube, most NSX comparisons are with either the R8 v10 plus or 911 turbo S, not plain V10s or non S's. I believe those two "base" variants are what the base NSX was always targeting, not the higher performing versions most of these tests are using. All 3 base cars are priced 150-160k range if I am not mistaken. The V10 Plus and S looks to be at 20K or so more.

Curious to see comparisons of the V10/ 911 Turbo base versions in terms of what you get as far as interior finishes and material, standard equipment etc. Porsche and Audi website builder wasn't satisfying. I guess going to a dealer would be best, but I like to see online first before going. Any detailed links with photos would be much appreciated.

What's it matter..The mid engine V-10 is definitely the one to get and it looks fine,low key.

Just think of it ! That huge NA torque beast right behind your head with lightning shifts.

The 911 turbo is really going backwards and will scare you to death.

The New NSX : A mass of conflicting impulses :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Here's a Car & Driver recent review of the Porsche 991 TT (not S).

I opted for a TT (mine had an MSRP $172.5 vs $200K for a TTS)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-porsche-911-turbo-first-drive-review

Looks wise...other than the ceramic yellow brake calipers and centerlocks (which were of no interest to me) + the "S" badge.

Power wise - .2 seconds slower for $25K didn't compute.

The new NSX doesn't do it today for me either (especially in the bang for the buck department)

A $2K tune puts the TT &TTS on the same level for those who feel they need more.

P1030310_zps0hmpwyay.jpg~original

image_zpsft83m3yd.png~original

Last edited:
Beautiful machine HH and I didn't mean to slight it.

Those things are totally dialed and I'm sure a thrill to drive. would love test drive one. all of them.

I think the AMG GT-R gets an honorable mention here though I'm not sure how easily available that car is too own (I.e like limited production or what not)

A used CPO MP4-12C also for the same money. McLaren is even offer extra warranty up to 12yrs though I haven't priced the cost of that yet as I was just recently made aware.

What's it matter..The mid engine V-10 is definitely the one to get and it looks fine,low key.

Just think of it ! That huge NA torque beast right behind your head with lightning shifts.

The 911 turbo is really going backwards and will scare you to death.

The New NSX : A mass of conflicting impulses :biggrin::biggrin:

Haha..well I do love the R8's engine note and interior design for sure. The 911 is a fantastic all-rounder. To me, the NSX's exterior looks the best between the three. It all depends on we feel are more important: exterior design, interior design, ergonomics, performance, sound, reliability, heritage, brand or even MPG.

Here's a Car & Driver recent review of the Porsche 991 TT (not S).

I opted for a TT (mine had an MSRP $172.5 vs $200K for a TTS)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-porsche-911-turbo-first-drive-review

Looks wise...other than the ceramic yellow brake calipers and centerlocks (which were of no interest to me) + the "S" badge.

Power wise - .2 seconds slower for $25K didn't compute.

The new NSX doesn't do it today for me either (especially in the bang for the buck department)

A $2K tune puts the TT &TTS on the same level for those who feel they need more.

Very nice car and driveway! Thank you for the detailed link. It does help allot. I completely agree on your points about being bang for your buck, the 25K price difference and tune to add more power later on when needed.

How do you feel about Porsche updating the car seemingly every other year and making yours dated rather quickly after only a few years?

Do you believe these models hold their value pretty well compared to others in the same category?

I think the AMG GT-R gets an honorable mention here though I'm not sure how easily available that car is too own (I.e like limited production or what not)

A used CPO MP4-12C also for the same money. McLaren is even offer extra warranty up to 12yrs though I haven't priced the cost of that yet as I was just recently made aware.

Correct Regan! I actually looked into them after reading posts you made regarding the AMG GT and the 12C in the past. The AMG interior is veryy niiii. I prefer the 12c looks over the the newer ones for sure.

I remember you and others posting regarding Mclaren having many issues. Call me crazy, but I am one of the few nut cases that actually do prefer a car to have some durability factored into it when engineered.

Louis, we're not FB 'friends' but I posted a clean 12C with 2k miles, highly optioned, for sale for $150k
Will check it out, thanks sir!

Last edited:
How do you feel about Porsche updating the car seemingly every other year and making yours dated rather quickly after only a few years?

Do you believe these models hold their value pretty well compared to others in the same category?

With the reality of no new NSX anytime soon, in 2012 purchased a 2013 991C2S. Great car, but routine service costs surprised me ($300 oil changes etc) compared to what
my gen 1 NSX's were.

Fast forward.....kept asking the Acura dealer about the new NSX and got the "sold out for at least a year" story ha ha....decided in Nov. 2015 to get a new Turbo.

As far as the TT holding value - who knows? My guess is there will always be strong resale customer base at the right price. These cars are not an investment.
An interesting fact is the 911 (991) Turbo models make up about 28% of total 991 sales.

RE: The car being dated....done playing that game. When I press the gas pedal it makes me smile....big smile!
Also have always liked the way 911's look - old and new.

Previous 2013:

P1020039_zpsa4c367bd.jpg~original

Last edited:
Every car enthusiast should own a 911 Turbo at some point. If you knew you had only one shot at a high-end car, it would be tough to pick an NSX over a Turbo. Porsche is the "gateway drug" to other brands, but I think for diversity not necessarily superiority.

This game is about maximizing fun over your lifetime, not finding that one perfect car (or watch, or house, or meal, or bottle of wine, or vacation destination, etc., etc.).

With the reality of no new NSX anytime soon, in 2012 purchased a 2013 991C2S. Great car, but routine service costs surprised me ($300 oil changes etc) compared to what
my gen 1 NSX's were.

Fast forward.....kept asking the Acura dealer about the new NSX and got the "sold out for at least a year" story ha ha....decided in Nov. 2015 to get a new Turbo.

As far as the TT holding value - who knows? My guess is there will always be strong resale customer base at the right price. These cars are not an investment.
An interesting fact is the 911 (991) Turbo models make up about 28% of total 991 sales.

RE: The car being dated....done playing that game. When I press the gas pedal it makes me smile....big smile!
Also have always liked the way 911's look - old and new.

Previous 2013:

P1020039_zpsa4c367bd.jpg~original

great looking car :) but i could be bias.

Back