• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket security system, looking for suggestions.

I am in the market for aftermarket security system for my 1993. I had an avital entry system installed couple years back and well, it is not so good. Range is short and it is now time to take it out. Im not looking for top of the line kit. Something that will provide good security. Seem a lot of people use viper, or dei system. Some ran compustar. What about omega excalibur? Are they, as a company, any good? Some say viper has gone down over the years, don't know how true it is. Im not fimilar with aftermarket alarm kit. Not looking for smartphone and drone capability. Just simple. Something that will be reliable. Shock sensor, tilt sensor, glass break sensor, trunk popper(current system equipped with popper).
2way prefer but not necessary. 1500ft or more range would be nice. Ease of use and install. I do plan to install myself.

Any good system, best bang for the buck, out there that you know of or have experienced with?

TIA

I'm also interested in an upgrade. I'm currently using a crimestopper system that I just would not recommend. It has a ton of false alarms and only use it for power locks really.

Funny you say that because i am also just using it as keyless entry and trunk pop. Its old and outdated.
Ive been looking at the Omega Excalibur AL-1510-EDP plus some sensors like, glass break, tilt, and proximity. May be a little much but cant beat the price. Complete kit would still be less then a viper entry system. I just dont know if omega is good or not..

I have the top-of-the-line Viper 5906V on both my NSX and Gemballa.
Great alarm with "theoretical" 1-mile range two-way pager. Remote engine start. Turbo timer (for the Gemballa). Trunk release. It has so many features built-in, as well as additional modules you can install (powering up windows or sunroof).
The remote engine start is really great on temperature extremes. For the winter, keep the heater on, and 4 mins after you start the car, you come into a cozy warm interior. Same for the summer with the A/C.

[MENTION=4535]Yawwn[/MENTION] thank you for your input.
Do you use remote start on your nsx? I dont have the need to because i only drive it during summer months.
My thinking is to stick with just alarm kit without the remote starter extras.

I have a viper remote starter in my rav4 and compustar in my civic. Both get use in winter months.. therefore i have no need for that extra feature on the nsx. The current avital system on the nsx does have trunk popper, which i used quite a bit.

Ive been looking at compustar kit but they are quite expensive. I do like their 3 in 1 sensor. Shock, tilt, accelerometer..

Still researching, have not pull trigger on any certain brand yet.

Ok so one thing lead to another and end up piecing my own kit together for under $200.. which is pretty good for compustar.
I purchased the Compustar FT-7300A Cont control (brain) module kit. Which have everything BUT remotes and DAS (3-in-1 sensor), both purchased separately.
Remotes are (1) 2ways and (1) 1way. Good up to 1500ft.
Ft-DAS sensor are digital 3in1: 2ways shock, tilt, built in accelerometer (shut car off if detect car move 3in when remkte start in gear, i wont be using it)
$69.99 ft-7300a module
$34.97 FT-DAS Sensor
$85 RF remote kit, 2 remotes, 1 antenna, 1 antenna cable
Grand total of $189.96

[MENTION=4535]Yawwn[/MENTION]; how good is the viper at detecting shocks?

My current system goes off all the time either due to heat changes or large vehicles driving by. I have no need of remote start but trunk pop and good alarm system (no false positives) are my highest priorities.

[MENTION=4535]Yawwn[/MENTION]; how good is the viper at detecting shocks?

My current system goes off all the time either due to heat changes or large vehicles driving by. I have no need of remote start but trunk pop and good alarm system (no false positives) are my highest priorities.

Hello furinax,
It's quite good. It has an adjustment so that you can tweak the sensitivity. I have the optional glass-breakage sensor, and when I have my windows even slightly open, and my wife moves her car (with squeaky brakes), the sound from the loud brake squeaks will cause the brain to think the window is being shattered and will set off the alarm. Also with that same sensor, when it rained, the beating of the raindrops against the glass set it off once or twice until I adjusted the sensitivity for that particular glass-breakage sensor. However, in terms of movement, heat changes, or other cars moving by, I don't think I've had one false alarm yet.
It has a feature where if it went off once for movement, I think it mutes it for that same stimulus so that you don't get another false alert.
Check out the reviews for this system. Consistently rated the best alarm system. The colored keyfob is already really cool (except for the fact that if you break it, the replacement cost is like $200).

Last edited:
Hello furinax,
It's quite good. It has an adjustment so that you can tweak the sensitivity. I have the optional glass-breakage sensor, and when I have my windows even slightly open, and my wife moves her car (with squeaky brakes), the sound from the loud brake squeaks will cause the brain to think the window is being shattered and will set off the alarm. Also with that same sensor, when it rained, the beating of the raindrops against the glass set it off once or twice until I adjusted the sensitivity for that particular glass-breakage sensor. However, in terms of movement, heat changes, or other cars moving by, I don't think I've had one false alarm yet.
It has a feature where if it went off once for movement, I think it mutes it for that same stimulus so that you don't get another false alert.
Check out the reviews for this system. Consistently rated the best alarm system. The colored keyfob is already really cool (except for the fact that if you break it, the replacement cost is like $200).

Looking get a an alarm because the built-in one on my 91 goes off when ever I unlock the doors. Someone with an NSX recommended the Clifford, but I think yours may be the hot ticket. Do you have a model number of the Viper you had installed?

Hello Onsuko,
It was their TOTL at the time 5906V.

I love, love, loved the old Alpine SEC-8063 that my 91 had. It had an internal relay that you could set to normally open for a stealth theft-proofing option.

My theory is that given enough time and right conditions, one can bypass the alarm and steal the car. This is just a general statement as not all alarms are built or wired the same way. I mentioned "right conditions" because it would require the theft to be on their hands and knees removing interior panels to get to the wires, which is not an ideal for someone trying to be stealthy. Therefore, having an alarm does have its place especially with immobilizers. A honking horn does not do much these days.

What are you thoughts about kill switches and locking hubs (for aftermarket steering wheels)?

Back