• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the NSX, 0-to-100-0

I did not know the 17 GT-R weighed so much!

Interesting. Did they say which tires the NSX and others were on? 675LT is in another category, but NSX definitely back of the pack on straight-line performance in its rarefied peer group.

But two years ago, it would have been on top. Everything is relative and yet, on an absolute basis, the NSX is still remarkably capable. Being 6th of 30 sporstcars in the '16 and '17 model year is "fast enough" for me.

Interesting. Did they say which tires the NSX and others were on? 675LT is in another category, but NSX definitely back of the pack on straight-line performance in its rarefied peer group.

But two years ago, it would have been on top. Everything is relative and yet, on an absolute basis, the NSX is still remarkably capable. Being 6th of 30 sporstcars in the '16 and '17 model year is "fast enough" for me.

Your C7 Z06 should probably be in the top three of that list. Not sure why it isn't there

What's really impressive to me to me is the new ZL1. That's an awful good bargain for the amount of performance you get.

The Tesla's number, while impressive, doesn't matter. Tesla is a one trick pony. We all know that it gets most of that low 0-100-0 number from the acceleration. Not the stickiest or particularly wide tires combined with its immense mass is not going to have eye popping brakes. Not to mention that same formula means it handles like a old land barge Cadillac Deville (just without the body roll) should a turn of any kind come up.

The numbers connect some dots

i would refer folks to a vlogger named Mr JWW from the UK

in a recent video he did in Hong Kong with an owner of a 675 LT you got a good sense of how fast the car is using the facial expressionometer, which correlates with the butt dyno

i wouldn't dump on Tesla as they are raking it in on the Model S and then the Model 3 will produce a tidal wave of cash. I think the Model S handles ok, the interior details and quality are the real issues

if you have some lower weight battery tech in hand I am sure Musk will share his pile of cash with you

i wouldn't expect the can't arrive too soon R36 GTR to be a light weight as that is also slated to be a hybrid

Your C7 Z06 should probably be in the top three of that list. Not sure why it isn't there

I wouldn't be so sure. RWD launch makes 0-60 times prob 0.5 slower than AWD ICE cars of similar power/weight. Corvette is more a "full package" performer that distinguishes itself in the corners, not the straights (sounds crazy for a 650HP car, but it's true).

To me, the notable thing is how well the 570S performs, and not that the NSX is off the mark a bit (presumably mostly because the other AWD cars are known to launch MUCH faster).

I wouldn't be so sure. RWD launch makes 0-60 times prob 0.5 slower than AWD ICE cars of similar power/weight. Corvette is more a "full package" performer that distinguishes itself in the corners, not the straights (sounds crazy for a 650HP car, but it's true).

To me, the notable thing is how well the 570S performs, and not that the NSX is off the mark a bit (presumably mostly because the other AWD cars are known to launch MUCH faster).

I believe the Z06 is rated to do the 0-60 right in the same time as the NSX which is right around 3 flat. For sure, the NSX with all wheel drive and no brainer launch control, will easily win the holeshot to 60'. And getting a super powerful Corvette to hook up and launch to get those claimed times is a helluva lot harder than people think. But if you nail it, the higher horsepower and lighter weight will eventually overtake the NSX. So I think the Z06 wins the 0-100 over a NSX without too much hassle. You could probably give up a tenth or two and let GM's PTM system handle the launch and still easily out drag the NSX.

Then once it's time to bring it to a stop I have absolutely no doubt that the Z06 can outbrake damn near any car out there.

Top three I tell ya.

it wasn't a Sportscar comparison test, it was an acceleration test of the Tesla by Motor Trend. the Tesla did 0-to-60 mph in 2.3 seconds flat!

they just chucked some other results in for contrast, that's why there were a lot of cars absent from the list. the ZO6 will do very well, and the 488 and Huracan would also demote the NSX further down the list...

I've driven the 100D and wow is that thing is a rocket ship for sure. But that's all it has. And it doesn't pull nearly as hard once you're past 70-80mph. So it's a great stoplight warrior, which realistically is about all you can get away with on the street anyway. The interior, once you're over that enormous touch screen is rather unremarkable for a $100k+ vehicle. What's really funny, is that even though it would suggest otherwise because of its air suspension and Rolls Royce level of mass, it actually rides kinda rough. The low center of gravity keeps body roll to a minimum, but it still handles awful. Any kind of track or even backroad situation, I don't think anyone in their right mind would think the Tesla is a better driver than something like a 7-series BMW...which just happens to be far more luxurious inside as well.

I've driven the 100D and wow is that thing is a rocket ship for sure. But that's all it has. And it doesn't pull nearly as hard once you're past 70-80mph. So it's a great stoplight warrior, which realistically is about all you can get away with on the street anyway. The interior, once you're over that enormous touch screen is rather unremarkable for a $100k+ vehicle. What's really funny, is that even though it would suggest otherwise because of its air suspension and Rolls Royce level of mass, it actually rides kinda rough. The low center of gravity keeps body roll to a minimum, but it still handles awful. Any kind of track or even backroad situation, I don't think anyone in their right mind would think the Tesla is a better driver than something like a 7-series BMW...which just happens to be far more luxurious inside as well.

The Tesla is amazing,but I agree with you. It has the interior of a 65k car. Put next to an S-class it really looks bad inside. But damn it's fast!

it wasn't a Sportscar comparison test, it was an acceleration test of the Tesla by Motor Trend. the Tesla did 0-to-60 mph in 2.3 seconds flat!

they just chucked some other results in for contrast, that's why there were a lot of cars absent from the list. the ZO6 will do very well, and the 488 and Huracan would also demote the NSX further down the list...

You are clearly holding back your nsx trashing.... come on.. let it out :wink:

Just rename the thread, "What say you, FastAussie"? :biggrin:

And getting a super powerful Corvette to hook up and launch to get those claimed times is a helluva lot harder than people think.
I traded my '15 Zo6 in for the NSX...i seriously could not get that thing to do anything under 4 sec. 0-60, most of the time it was in the 5's because it was impossible to launch!

I traded my '15 Zo6 in for the NSX...i seriously could not get that thing to do anything under 4 sec. 0-60, most of the time it was in the 5's because it was impossible to launch!

Really? With warm tires, a recently-paved stretch of road and using launch control (in an A8), I always got in the 3s (per dash computer). But agree that getting near the claimed 2.9 seconds seems to require a prepared drag strip.

I've only tried Launch Control in NSX a couple of times, and it involved a lot less noise and drama, but I have no idea how fast it was. And I don't particularly care.

Really? With warm tires, a recently-paved stretch of road and using launch control (in an A8), I always got in the 3s (per dash computer). But agree that getting near the claimed 2.9 seconds seems to require a prepared drag strip.

I've only tried Launch Control in NSX a couple of times, and it involved a lot less noise and drama, but I have no idea how fast it was. And I don't particularly care.

Well mine was the 7 speed manual...much harder to get consistant launches and no real launch control on it with that trans.

Back