• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weird Clutch Bleeding

I setup to change the clutch fluid using the gravity method. Emptied and cleaned the reservoir and refilled with fresh fluid. I put a hose on the bleeder and cracked it open... and nothing. I've bled other hydraulic clutches this way and it always works fine, just let it drain and keep refilling the reservoir.

So I tried the vacuum pump and still nothing. Pulled a strong vacuum so that's all working, but no fluid movement.

The clutch is working fine. This is just a maintenance item. The PO had the MC and slave replaced by a dealer about 6 years ago, so it's past due.

What am I doing wrong?

Remove the bleeder screw and check to see if it is clogged.......

LOL! Yeah, I was thinking that's next. But I thought maybe there was some issue with the damper in the system, and it had to be done differently. Thanks Larry!

I'd probably try pumping the clutch pedal to see if I could start the flow that way. Once it starts the vacuum will work.

Thanks guys. Just thought this may be different because of the damper or something.

+1 on cloggage.

I just did this, gravity does not work. But even a small amount of vacuum on the slave bleeder was enough to empty the master reservoir in a matter of seconds.

Yep, need to pull the bleeder next. Thanks!

The dealer that did the slave cylinder wrapped some teflon tape on the bleeder threads. It must have moved the last time it was tightened because the bleed holes were blocked. Simple fix and the system bled perfectly after that.

Back