• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please use common sense to avoid scammers on Prime

There seems to be an uptick in attempted scams so although caveat emptor is the rule, I figured I would try to make the proverbial light bulb go off above Prime's collective heads by reminding that you need to look for "red flags" such as:

1. Are you being contacted by pm by a Primate who has no posts or history on Prime
2. Are you being contacted by someone offering you a part for which you didn't post a WTB thread but perhaps you discussed in an unrelated thread
3. ARE YOU BEING ASKED TO PAY BY WESTERN UNION?!
4. Are you being asked to use paypal "gift"
5. Does the person contacting you appear unable to understand English and spelling and rules of grammar
6. Have the photos you are being sent been lifted from somewhere else
7. Does the seller sign off his email/note with something like "Have a blessed day"

Currently, there appear to be two persons attempting to scam here: "Charles I Turner" at [email protected] and "Davemacri" at [email protected]

Please always be skeptical unless it is a known member and use the search tools of the interweb to:

1. Google the screen name
2. Google the email address
3. Google the telephone number
4. Google the photos sent to you

The 4th suggestion is rarely used by people and would show if the photograph appeared somewhere else and was lifted to make you think a seller actually had the part, etc. I used it recently when someone listed an NSX and used the prior owner's photos from the prior sales ad and the prior owner had lifted someone else's pics and represented them as his car. The current seller was unaware and was indignant when I took down the ad for copyright violations and misrepresentation and he was surprised to learn that his seller had used someone else's images and car. If you search a specific image often times you can find where it originated if there are enough identifying features in the photo to set it apart from let's say a generic front end shot of a red NSX.

As always, it's caveat emptor on Prime but I hate being contacted after the fact when there were red flags waving all over.

Last edited:
Great post bob. I think everybody should read this just as a refresher.

I always check even when selling parts who they are. Most the time I know of them or they are in an area with other owners I know. However I did have to dig around a little about someone who was buying an expensive set of wheels from me at one time. They turned out to be a new owner and just didn't know anyone yet and he is a very awesome individual.

That's another benefit of facebook over the forums imo. Usually on facebook someone's credibility is on the line as their life is laid bare. As owners age they will start to sell and the new crowd will pick it up which means a lot of new forum users.

Thanks for the announcement! I have not yet encountered any scammers. :smile:

Hold on a sec now Bob. So the guy who I PayPal'd money for car parts who is in the Army and overseas is a scam. He said the parts are with his uncle in California and the uncle is watching everything for him.

Hold on a sec now Bob. So the guy who I PayPal'd money for car parts who is in the Army and overseas is a scam. He said the parts are with his uncle in California and the uncle is watching everything for him.

Never fear. You had a good transaction. His Uncle Frederic Dumass is legit and so is his paypal [email protected]

That's another benefit of facebook over the forums imo. Usually on facebook someone's credibility is on the line as their life is laid bare. As owners age they will start to sell and the new crowd will pick it up which means a lot of new forum users.

Thanks for the announcement! I have not yet encountered any scammers. :smile:

Not so fast there sparky.......

One of our vendors here got scammed on facebook because he ignored several of the red flags I pointed out.........

And if Prime had a marketplace requirement to put an index card with your screen name & the date written on it HEAVILY in each picture of the item/car for sale it would go a long way toward cutting the crap. Like A LOT of other car forums require.

Last edited:
And if Prime had a marketplace requirement to put an index card with your screen name & the date written on it HEAVILY in each picture of the item/car for sale it would go a long way toward cutting the crap. Like A LOT of other car forums require.

That won't prevent anything. I can photoshop that very easily

I caught a member here trying to front for tamoske by Photoshopping a "factory" in the Philippines. And just to prove a point I actually sent someone to the address he gave to prove it.

So because a few people are liars, deadbeats, cons, & scammers, zero precautions should be taken???

That won't prevent anything. I can photoshop that very easily

I caught a member here trying to front for tamoske by Photoshopping a "factory" in the Philippines. And just to prove a point I actually sent someone to the address he gave to prove it.

So because a few people are liars, deadbeats, cons, & scammers, zero precautions should be taken???

We don't have a real problem with bogus sellers posting ads, it is with them contacting WTB folks. If we do star to see that problem we can certainly take that step. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back