• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jinks engine build thread

Congrats on the build! We're rooting for you AJ.

I can't, not, say my $0.02 though for risk of seeing a friend being in trouble again because they had an awesome motor but skimped on engine management. So it'll suffice to say I'm sure you've weighed your options and making the best choice you can. Good luck man! Looking forward to the progress.

Thanks RYU. But didn't you say on another thread that tuning is key no matter which engine management one chooses? The fic works well for a ctsc. Shad knows them like the back of his hand and even sos has said time and time again that they work well for a sc'd motor. Rob's car ran so damn good with one. I know it doesn't provide endless tuning or additional metering. But, I am not on your level of mods quite yet. I also am not well connected in the auto industry and need it 200% legal.

However,,, I may be able to swing a Aem ems in the build. The fic was a budget route and thanks to a very cool prime member, I got a free boomslang for the fic in my build. As long as the crankshaft and rods made it out of the engine explosion ok, I might be able to swing a full stand alone. I'd really like to go ems for the gauge art monitoring option. Unfortunately, this build costs BIG dollars. So, I am forced to keep costs down in some areas. But I do appreciate all comments and thanks for steering me in a good direction. I really do appreciate it!

I have a complete F-CON V-Pro (3) with dual 02 sensors & knock sensors for sale...
Thanks Billy. I will run that by the S man. I'm not sure if he tunes those. But much appreciated.

[MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION] I know you've pondered over this much so I really don't want to come off like the know-it-all but if I don't say my peace I'll genuinely feel bad if something happens.

Yes, you're right in what I said but I was referring to a full stand alone ECU. The F/IC is really a dinosaur that's more like a 8bit calculator than your iPhone.

FWIW I think a properly tuned ECU should be the top three of mods. In Japan and on modern cars it's like the first thing people address. I know you've seen and heard of reflashes and such. ECUs are very important. It's the brain of your motor. Everything else is just muscle and fuel.

I am considering it definitely. I hear you! Lol. Just trying to keep things under the cost of new home down payment.:eek:
Even if I go fic, it will eventually get swapped to a full stand alone. We shall see how the tear down goes. But please continue to contribute your thoughts. I listen.

I was debating on building my motor as well, but it is quite the expense and quite the hassle. I did have them do a full tear down and reseal the whole motor and refresh everything. runs like a champ although the idle is a bit high (now turbo'd). I trust your build will be epic and I wish you luck. :cool:

Attachments

• honda.jpg
    honda.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 400
I was debating on building my motor as well, but it is quite the expense and quite the hassle. I did have them do a full tear down and reseal the whole motor and refresh everything. runs like a champ although the idle is a bit high (now turbo'd). I trust your build will be epic and I wish you luck. :cool:
Hahah. I like it. Corvette is supah ugly...

The more I learn the more I freeze up. It's why I haven't torn open my motor for that "epic" motor build. Trust me... There's nothing I want more but to do it right is difficult.
Well of course! No one should tear open a good running motor unless sponsored by a race team. Unfortunately, mine is toast anyhow. I weighed the factors of a used motor and they were only a few grand less than a full spec build. Hopefully all goes well in the tear down and I can make up for some extra spending on an engine ecu.

I am in full agreement with RYU on this one. The FIC is just an old "piggyback system". It will retard timing and monitor fuel, but little else.

[MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION], I was thinking about this more and you can call me crazy for what i'm about to say... but if budget is a constraint I'd rather buy a stock motor, keep the CTSC, but get a high end properly tuned ECU with safety provisions.

Getting a badass motor built but control it with a F/IC is like playing a roulette game. Do you feel lucky? :)

[MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION], I was thinking about this more and you can call me crazy for what i'm about to say... but if budget is a constraint I'd rather buy a stock motor, keep the CTSC, but get a high end properly tuned ECU with safety provisions.

Getting a badass motor built but control it with a F/IC is like playing a roulette game. Do you feel lucky? :)

Thats kinda why I was suggesting just dropping in a oem long block...

@Jinks, I was thinking about this more and you can call me crazy for what i'm about to say... but if budget is a constraint I'd rather buy a stock motor, keep the CTSC, but get a high end properly tuned ECU with safety provisions.

It is more than just budget but have you shopped around for a C motor lately? So you think buying a junk yard motor or a motor from god knows where with however many miles on it, then boosting it is better than a motor built by DA with an fic tuned by Shad? Trust me, it isn't cheaper... That's not a good idea in my opinion. The motor would have the same garbage head gaskets unless it was a 3.2L and good luck finding one of those. I thought about just selling the ctsc and dropping a used motor back in but where is the fun in that?

Here is what I will be doing: The fic will be installed first, as my car is due for a smog in October. After that, I will be free and clear from The DMV's clutches for a while to do the full stand alone, which I will be doing. That way, I will have two fully tuned options for my car and I can quickly unplug the fic and swap to the ems after future smogs. All things in time. But for now, I want the car mobile and with a brand new motor.

then I would have to shift into flintstone mode.....:eek: btw I had more options with my 96, for those not familiar with the ecu's the 95-96 can run the 3.2 motors....so it was plug and play with the tbw

then I would have to shift into flintstone mode.....:eek: btw I had more options with my 96, for those not familiar with the ecu's the 95-96 can run the 3.2 motors....so it was plug and play with the tbw
Well, technically speaking I will be extremely close to a 3.2L motor after Shad molests it.:tongue:

I have no doubts about Shad's engine prowess ....he has molested so many....:wink:

Thanks @Nsxrookie but I have one ready to go.

Update: The engine has been pulled from the car with all fluids drained. Oil was extremely clean with no metal shavings in it. Only a mix of coolant and oil. So hopefully the crank made it out unscathed. Will post some pics soon. I also have to decide on a powercoat color. I am going with yellow as it gives a nice pop in a Bay full of black. Not really interested in type r red.

I am going for the spoon sports b series look.IMG_0235.JPG

Cant wait to see you back on the road AJ. Git er done................
Thanks Roger. I hope you guys have an epic trip to Vegas next month. Stay safe.

Sorry to hear about your motor going, but it looks like it is in really good hands with Shad.

Standalone > *
Thanks. I have been following your build posts too. I must say I second [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] advice of forged pistons. The cast factory ones are a liability. But I understand, your build/your choice. Like me with an FIC, do what you feel like.

Unless I have proof that it helps with our specific pistons I will tell anyone to do the same and go with a set of aftermarket pistons. I'm doing it more as an experiment to see how well it helps prolong the life of the stock pistons. If they let go I am sleeving the block so the concern is low for me.

After all I am doing a refresh this round, not a rebuild.

Last edited:
Back