• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Very new to NSXs

Just took delivery of a '92 MT, Berlina/Black, VIN JH4NA1157NT001279. Car runs great, I can't believe how lucky I am to have gotten such a nice example with 15.5k miles!
A few small issues with the sound system & climate control-apparently the same stuff that a lot of other people have seen, so the Forums are being a big help.
Is anyone going to the 'High Octane' Cars & Coffee in Mt. Laurel, NJ tomorrow, 08 April? Sounds like a good first outing...
Photos will come when there is some decent weather in the Philadelphia area!

Congrats! and welcome to the ownership club. As a new user, you'll want to check out the NSX Wiki which you can find on the red action bar at the top of most pages. It's the aggregation of FAQs and how-to posts over the years and although it's currently locked down from updates .. but most information is still useful. For more active topics like wheel/tire fitments, you're probably better off just searching the forums. There is some sound system in the Wiki and user BrianK offers a cost effective rebuild service. The BOSE system doesn't have a central amp in the head unit but rather 3 'distributed' amps .. one in each door integrated with the speaker and one in the passenger footwell integrated with the sub. The speakers themselves rarely fail but the amp often do .. known problem. Use the L/R switch on the head unit to isolate failures. The head unit is less likely to fail than the door amps but it does happen. If you want BrianK to rebuild them, you'll have to get them out first and there's info on how to do this on the Wiki. I think he might also do the climate control system as well. All these failures are due to electronic components leaking and failing .. so easily fixed.

As a new owner, you should be aware that the timing belt is supposed to be replaced every 7-9 years and 80k miles .. whichever is less so even though it has low mileage, the car should have had its timing belt changed 3 times already and hopefully the previous user did it in the last 7-9 years otherwise that should be a priority maintenance item. If the belt fails, the valves will contact the pistons and repair will be quite expensive.

Good luck .. enjoy the new ride. Get out and drive it!

Thanks for all of the good info...
Belts, water pump, various gaskets were changed 2 months/100 miles ago by an Acura dealer, so no worries about loud noises behind me...
CD player works fine, crisp sound from the speakers, radio is mainly noise both AM & FM, antenna position doesn't matter, although it is not working properly, so a new mast/motor will be in the to-do list. Cassette player-there's nobody home after a cassette is inserted...maybe it's really a storage compartment?
Only have high fan with the climate control, but A/C is cold, so I figure it is control box, possibly power transistor? All stuff that I don't mind doing myself.
Other than that, my biggest problem is getting my size 12 feet into the size 8 pedal box! The proper shoes make all the difference.
Funny, these are all of the same little problems that I have with my other old cars, and those get fixed as I get time. What's important is having the car drive-able at a moment's notice, as anytime somebody wants to do a run, and i have some time, I'm in.

Enjoy your low mileage NSX, and I recommend that whatever mods you make....stay with reversible ones, and keep the original parts!

Thanks for the heads up...
I plan on wheels & tires, then I'm going to keep things as stock as possible. It would be a shame to mess up something that is as original as this one, but I am going to add some mileage. I really like the idea of being able to pull the cover off and run it out the door without worries. There's enough in this life to fret about, I don't need it with another car.
Definitely will keep any of the take-off parts.

I would suggest that you contact Larry B and have him give the car a look.

No question on the Timing Belt. You will also need to do the Hoses. Brian K can help you with the climate control. Also, you may have some other lights on such as the SRS light. Brian K can also help with that. In both the climate control and SRS systems the circuit boards go. Brian can swap them out and get you running again. Another source is Science of Speed who, I believe, also offer a swap out for the Climate Control System circuit board.

The forum is the best place. Do not delay in your maintenance! I got mine with 19,800 and went through the entire gambit.

Contrats on the NSX. Post some pics.

Let me know if you and others are getting together now that the weather is nice. I am right outside of Philly.

Back