• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Loud sound coming from right exhaust when idle

I'm noticing a loud sound coming from the right exhaust of my '91 NSX when idle after driving like something is continuously blowing hard into the pipe. I don't hear the sound when I first start the car. The sound is not constant and sometimes will go away for several seconds. I do not hear the sound from the left exhaust. I recently updated my clutch's master and slave cylinders but I don't think that would be the cause of something like this. Anyone has any idea what it could be?

Thanks

I would check the A/C belt tensioner pulley, this is very often the cause of the sound changing when the A/C compressor goes on/off.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty sure the A/C was off but I'll turn it on and off to see what happens. I'll also check the pulley. Thanks!

Bump for this thread-I'm dealing with a noise that cycles on/off with my AC compressor. Not sure if it is the compressor or the tensioner pully.

Were you able to isolate and diagnose this noise?

Bump for this thread-I'm dealing with a noise that cycles on/off with my AC compressor. Not sure if it is the compressor or the tensioner pully.

Were you able to isolate and diagnose this noise?

Not yet. I stood on the right side of the engine bay and tried to listen to the sound, however, it did not seem to be coming from that area. I didn't even hear the sound if I put my head near the engine where the belts and pulleys are. Too me it it definitely seems like it's actually coming out from the right exhaust or at least from the bottom of the engine area. I've also tried to turned the A/C on and off, and it didn't seem to have any affect on the sound at all. I did notice that if I turn off the engine and then come back in like 20 minutes and turn it on again the sounds goes away so it seems to only happen right after I've driven the car.

I was going to try to do another video but haven't had a chance yet.

I would check the A/C belt tensioner pulley, this is very often the cause of the sound changing when the A/C compressor goes on/off.

HTH,
LarryB

Hi Larry,

Two questions-

1. How do you check to see if it is the A/C belt tensioner pully vs. the AC compressor?
2. Wouldn't the A/C belt tensioner pully be going around (and thus making sounds if bad!) regardless of the AC compressor clutch being engaged or not?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can typically hear it is coming from the pulley. Yes they are both going aorund but when you engage the compressor the belt tensions and will make a bad tentioner pulley sound louder.

Back