• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommend a car for me

Hello all, it's been a long time! Not sure who is still hanging around this place, but NSXprime was always my go to resource for anything and everything car related. Sort of a 90s version of Quora :). So let's give this a shot for old times' sake.

My E46 M3 vert is getting a bit boring after 4+ years and it's time for an upgrade. Looking for best bang for the $ that meets the following requirements:

Convertible
Has back seats I can cram my 10 and 12 year old into. Tight fit is fine, the M3 is already pretty bad, but 98% of the time it's just me in the car.
996TT is the benchmark I'm aiming for as far as performance and is at the top of my list to replace the M3
max budget is low 40s, but cheaper is always better of course

I've always sworn I'd never give up 3 pedals, but someone took me for a blast in their 2016 Audi TTS last week and the DCT was an OMG moment!! So much so that I'd love to go with a DCT (not a Tiptronic type of transmission, but a true DCT).

Other cars I'm considering are an RS4, a newer M3, I was also toying around with the idea of an E64 M6 but the 10-12mpg for a commuter is kind of a turn off.

But I don't really care about the marquee. A lot of companies are coming out with some insane performing cars. A newer car like some sort of Mustang convertible that gets close to a 996TT in acceleration and handling would be fine if there is such a beast. I like bells and whistles and tech and it's a bit of a turn off jumping out of 2003 BMW tech and into 2004 Porsche tech :). I was even considering a 2016 TTS w/DCT but the convertible option deletes the rear seats.

Suggestions?

Thanks Hapa, good to see you're still around. I will read up on those suggestions. I thought the GT500 was meant to be more of a straight line car but I've heard good things about the ZL1 from reading car mags. But honestly I don't know much about all the new american muscle cars other than these two look examples like you're driving around in a giant penis :). I was debating on non-convertible .... opens up a ton more great options...... but it was 85 degrees here yesterday and I put the top down for the first time since November and decided I'd miss that too much!

I thought the GT500 was meant to be more of a straight line car but I've heard good things about the ZL1 from reading car mags.

I think the GT500 was designed for crowd control.... :biggrin: But seriously, ask [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] his opinion on the new Fords.

Anyway, don't discount the latest performance based Automatic transmissions (not just the Dual Clutch). There are a lot of them out there that are not Dual Clutch that are surprisingly good. I've driven the ~2016 BMW 640i (standard Auto), the 2015 Lamborghini Gallardo LP-550-2 (single clutch e-shift), and my wife's new 2017 C300 Coupe with the 7 speed Auto and have been thoroughly impressed by the responsiveness, shifting speed, smoothness and the ability to rev match downshift. Having the ability to switch between "Comfort" and "Sport" modes on the transmission makes it even better depending on my driving mood.
The new performance automatics in the latest GM cars are supposed to be amazing, though I haven't tried them.

I'm not a big convertible rear seat kind of guy, and even if you have small kids, they better not have legs or your whole family needs to be jockeys to fit in the rear seats. Despite that 996TT is probably your best bet.

The new Mustang GT & Camaro convertibles have 435-450hp and will blow the doors off of your M3 in every way. Don't discount either. The Mustang has better outward visibility and is higher revving and will feel more like an NSX or m3 in that regard than the Camaro.

Oh and I HATE the FB groups. Way too much discussion there and not enough here.

I've been coming back to this thread a few times but it's a tough one. You've got pretty specific criteria no wonder why you asked us lol.

I'd say 911 or go the entirely opposite route and buy a open top Defender or a Jeep. Kids have a ton of fun in those.

Have you considered a new Focus RS. I know it's not a convertible, however for the same price as a 15yr old 911TT you'll get a car that handles better and is a lot of fun to drive. It has a 5/50 drivetrain warranty, and is loaded with technology. Look at one with the RS2 package, Forged wheels, and Moonroof. Yeah it may look like a regular Focus to most folks, but those who know about it love it. I've had mine for about seven months and I love driving it. It's cheap to mod if you want, I'm keeping mine stock. Plus it has room for the kids and decent size trunk area.

You can find them for about 5% under MSRP at this time. There are still some stealerships tying to get ADM, but those cars are just sitting on the lot.

Last edited:
I would go with an Audi S5 convertible over the RS4.
It is a much better car.
Unless you really need the 400+ HP of the RS4, but the 333 HP in the S5 makes for a fun drive in a much nicer car.
And, Audi reliability has been improving in later years.

I kind of wanted similar qualities in a DD, but for different reasons. I wanted a back seat, just in case, I wanted a convertible with all wheel drive, and I wanted "fun". If cost were no object, and a back seat wasn't required, I probably would have gotten a R8. My budget was a bit larger, and I was looking at "lightly used" C4S convertibles, but that car is almost as common as CRV's around here (not necessarily convertible versions). I ended up with a new 650IX convertible, which I've had for just over 2 years, and 27,000 miles. You can pick up used versions pretty close to your budget, and it's a great "cruising" car. The 640 version will give you better gas mileage, and isn't that much slower. I'm averaging around 17 combined local/highway. Car is a blast, 0-60 in 4.4, which is quicker than my NSX. Whatever you decide on, enjoy!!!!

I would go with an Audi S5 convertible over the RS4.
It is a much better car.
Unless you really need the 400+ HP of the RS4, but the 333 HP in the S5 makes for a fun drive in a much nicer car.
And, Audi reliability has been improving in later years.

Why not the RS5 convertible? My DD is an RS5 Coupe after 7 years of GTR. Very, very happy with 450 normally aspirated horses up to 8,500rpm. Wonderful car in regular mode and a thrilling ride in Sport or Dynamic mode. And you can get a last year 2015 convertible with low miles. Look fo a CPO and AudiCare example.

I have to disagree. We keep a 2105 A5 at our home in Brazil and it's been a piece of crap.

I will diasgeee with your disagreement :). 20 months and 15K miles on my RS5 and not a single problem aside from a warranteed set of front rotors.

I know it is basically a Fiat but has anyone driven the Guilia Quadrifoglio? It basically is a sourced Ferrari engine. I am sure it sounds marvelous! But probably still a POS Fiat.

Back