• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX: New vs. Old

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
This topic may or may not be relevant for most people here but it's been on my mind since I had a go with the NC1 (New NSX).

The last 12 months has been a rediscovery and revaluation period for my small "stable" of cars. Moving does that to you. I'm not rich but I have been prepping to flip my old NSX for either a Porsche GT4, MP4-12C, or a lightly optioned NC1. I even bought an AP2 S2000 to hold me over in case there was significant down time. That is now for sale.

I have about 30 mins of seat time in the GT4 and more is coming at the track this year. I have about 4 hours on the 12C and 650S combined with about 20mins on track. I have about 20mins of aggressive driving in the NC1. I feel I've got a good sampling of each one but obviously could use more seat time in the GT4 and new NSX to hone my opinion better.

To cut to the chase i'm not convinced I want to sell my modified old NSX. The NC1 was much easier to drive fast than the 12C, yet the 12C was more exciting. The GT4 is somewhere in the middle but it isn't seat of the pants fast in feeling (probably the gearing) but has the most analog feel of the 3 (duh). HOWEVER, I feel like my NSX still hits the sweet spot and I may continue to live in this sweet spot for another 20yrs. If I sold it for one of these replacement i'd feel like i'd lose more than i'd gain, except in safety of course.

I'm happy to answer any questions other owners have who are considering selling their old NSX for any of these cars.

Am I crazy? I'm trying not to appear like an old NSX fan boy.

I felt similarly about my (manual) 997.1 Turbo--- it was time to sell it and yet I could not let it go. I loved it too much. So I kept it. Other cars have come and gone, but I still have it. But, you know what? I ALWAYS ended up warming up to the new cars and ended up driving them MUCH more. I'm lucky to have the space to keep the Turbo around but, knowing what I know now, I would absolutely sell the old car to make room for a new one if needed.

Obviously, this makes zero economic sense. Dumb to face the depreciation of a new car when you're about as happy with an old one whose value will hold up a lot more (on percentage basis). But if you're on car forums, you've already admitted to having a "problem" wasting money on cars....

Maybe get a bigger garage?

Thanks for mentioning that. You're right. If I had more garage space the answer would be to buy more vehicles within budget. My problem is giving up the old one to buy a new one. The value proposition isn't there yet for me. I think it might be though 10+ years as my old NSX deteriorates, parts become impossible to find, and my values trend towards more of a touring car.

Driving the 650S a week after I had just driven the NC1 has definitely made me appreciate the NC1 much more. They are 2 different cars.

I felt similarly about my (manual) 997.1 Turbo--- it was time to sell it and yet I could not let it go. I loved it too much. So I kept it. Other cars have come and gone, but I still have it. But, you know what? I ALWAYS ended up warming up to the new cars and ended up driving them MUCH more. I'm lucky to have the space to keep the Turbo around but, knowing what I know now, I would absolutely sell the old car to make room for a new one if needed.

Obviously, this makes zero economic sense. Dumb to face the depreciation of a new car when you're about as happy with an old one whose value will hold up a lot more (on percentage basis). But if you're on car forums, you've already admitted to having a "problem" wasting money on cars....

Maybe get a bigger garage?

Last edited:
Regan you are wise and lucky to be able to sample all these cars, and in a significant way too (not just a round the block a few times with a salesman in the passenger seat). That's way cool.

I've been through: AP1, AP2 CR, R33GTR, R35GTR since the old NA1 was sold and all of them did not hit the sweet spot, and unlike you I kept on going through car after car in series until I came across my NA2 and saw the light. With the way these cars are appreciating now there's no way I can see me giving this car up. It cost me a lot of money (due to lack of garage space) in car depreciation for me to arrive to the conclusion I think you're professing.

Just keep the NSX and find a way to pick up something different yet fun to supplement the its awesomeness. The NSX costs (and owes you) nothing to keep.

Last edited:
Looks as you are comparing an NSX that has been fine tuned to YOUR personal tastes versus the new stock cars that are tuned for the MASS. I feel the NSX will be very difficult to replace, unless you were willing to visualize the full potential of what the newer cars can become once modified to your liking as you did with the NSX. Sure, you may feel you will lose more than gain, INITIALLY, but that's what modding is for. Don't even tell me you won't want an exhaust, wheels, more power, perfect balance..blah blah blah after owning any one of those newer cars. It's a given and actually mandatory. HAHA. We all do it.

Drive a 458 Speciale.

No doubt a great car but unless you are related to Trump or have a large checkbook, tracking an exotic like that is very unlikely.

s2000 is the best track car experience for the amount of money spent.

The NSX is a good step up but few cars will offer more excitement per dollar ratio.

12C is good, 570S is better and 650S of course is even another notch up ~ as you get into the $200k range of cars, there are many great examples but not many track these high dollar cars unless you really have a lot of expendable income.

Life is good to have these choices :)

I think you're in a tough situation. I doubt anything you replace the NSX with you'll love as much in the long term and will cost much more to run on the track. Personally I would go for a Ferrari or Porsche GT car. Both much more emotive than McLaren or NC1 with possibly lower running costs.

Regan I made the jump to the GT-R and it was not the same. Wickedly fast, but just not the NSX. I'm now coming back. :) Just watch some of those old Best Motoring videos, or of that Japanese driver with the crazy ITB NSX doing laps at Ebisu on youtube. I realized it's about the drama, not the raw speed. Sell your other cars, keep the Honda and try out one of those on your list for a couple of years. Then, when you get sick of it, you can go back to your NSX.

Regan I made the jump to the GT-R and it was not the same. Wickedly fast, but just not the NSX. I'm now coming back. :) Just watch some of those old Best Motoring videos, or of that Japanese driver with the crazy ITB NSX doing laps at Ebisu on youtube. I realized it's about the drama, not the raw speed. Sell your other cars, keep the Honda and try out one of those on your list for a couple of years. Then, when you get sick of it, you can go back to your NSX.

i knew you would be back :)

Back