• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner of 2000 MBP / Camel VIN JH4NA216XYT000176

Hi all! I've been lusting after the NSX for years and seriously in the market since January. This past weekend I picked up a 2000 MBP / Camel with 32K miles in New York City, from its original owner. Then I drove it back to Denver, 1730 miles in about 46 hours. I'm a big fan of fly&buy&drive, which is how I got my last car ('11 Lexus GS460) home.

Immediate plans: take it to Chris Wayland at FlatIrons Acura in Boulder to do a full end to end inspection. The previous owner's mechanic took great care of the car but he only took cash and provided no records, the owner told me to call him and ask what he had done to the car and when :biggrin: so it's time to start the paper trail on this car. CarFAX shows no accidents or title issues.

Known issues: the shifting is a little notchy, like how my S2000 feels before the transmission warms up. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the original transmission fluid. The gas pistons that hold the trunk up have lost seal. And the speakers pop sometimes when adjusting volume. And that's it. Any initial concerns on how the car was cared for were dispelled when I saw the car in person, the cosmetic condition is immaculate.

I also want to thank [MENTION=32200]RacerXwing[/MENTION] for his Gen1 NSX Market Analysis thread, this was a great primer to know what to expect to pay but to also explain some of the quirks of the buying process and the owners of these cars. If you are a new / prospective owner, please read that thread and message Eric, I found him to be engaging and helpful. I sent Eric my purchase price and would recommend that other new owners do the same, as it helps us to keep track of the market.

A little about me: I moved to Denver for offroading in 2011, and now help run Colorado FJ Cruisers, a 1500+ Facebook group that focuses on helping Denver locals find, buy, modify then offroad Toyota 4x4's. I'm a software developer / project manager by trade, with ~18 years spent in the telecommunications and defense&space industries. The NSX is replacing an '06 LBP S2000, both of which are excellent canyon carving vehicles for when you want to go to the Colorado mountains but not drive on dirt. The rest of our stable is an '11 FJ Cruiser (the offroader), '11 GS460 (the cruiser), wife's '15 XTerra Pro-4X (redundant to the FJ but she loves them) and our '99 Tacoma TRD.

Photos:

Before rolling out from NYC (Queens):

aNXHKenh.jpg

Home in Denver:

gFTarkLh.jpg

In the garage stored on the lift (I have a 4-post Bendpak HD-9STX):

uV6uOSkh.jpg

I'd like to thank the various Prime members who messaged me about my original WTB post. Now to go dig into the audio and car detailing sections :smile:

James

Congrats on the purchase bro! Best color ever on the NSX. Sounds like a gem!

What a beauty, and a rare bird too! Out of nearly 1300 NSX listings since June 2013, yours is only the 4th Monaco Blue. That's 0.3%. Thank you for the kind words; I am glad your search reached a successful conclusion and I am happy to help out other prospective buyers. Enjoy your new NSX!

New York is sad to see that car leave.....many happy mile high miles....:biggrin:

Clean car. Congrats.

Congratulations! Only 36 cars ever made in this color, and only 15 with camel interior, and to top it off only 11 of those were manuals. What a gem!

Last edited:
great find Jimmy and welcome to ownership!

The previous owner definitely gave it a longing look, and I got a lot of thumbs-up on my way out of town. I would have been able to wave more often except I was too busy dodging potholes :D

the NY pothole dance is legendary.....kinda like the electric slide.......:biggrin:

Congratulations, may you enjoy every mile that you own it. Where in Queens was it?

James -

Congrats! Katherine forwarded me the pictures & I've been keeping an eye out for your introduction thread. That looks like a fine specimen.

-paul

James -

Congrats! Katherine forwarded me the pictures & I've been keeping an eye out for your introduction thread. That looks like a fine specimen.

-paul

Hey Paul, glad to see you're on here! How has yours been doing? I'll probably be at the Parker Cars&Coffee in a few weeks if you want to swing by. My father in law lives ~2 blocks from the Vehicle Vault so he's there every month.

How has yours been doing?

Mine's been running great. In celebration of Spring, I changed the oil & applied a fresh coat of wax. I drove it down to the Springs and back last night via Sedalia & Palmer Lake, which is a beautiful drive. Ping me before you head out to C&C. It would be great to see your car up close. Who knows, we might even be able to convince Bruce to pull the cover off of his.

Excellent. I also have a 2000 MBP; but, with black interior and double the mileage. When you leave the car out in the sun for more than 10 minutes, you are really going to appreciate the camel colored seats. I am envious.

About your known issues.

The notchy shift when cold, particularly 1-2 isn't an issue, its a 'feature'. My car does it and the limited number of 6 speed owners that I have conversed with all report some level of balkiness. So, deliberate steady shifts until its hot which can take a while. Once stinky hot, shifts are perfect. If things don't improve when hot, then that may require further investigation and / or the magic synchromesh cocktail; but, with your low mileage you should not be having an issue.

New cylinders for the trunk are available. If you go new, go OEM rather than aftermarket - don't lose the little clip for the brake light wire. This guy rebuilds the struts and is reported to be good. Give him an email to see if the saving is worth it.
http://strutwise.tech/

See Brian K at NSX Erepair for the dreaded speaker pop. New door speaker amplifiers are also available directly from Bose. You are a software person. If you can also manage a little hardware, the amplifier fix is doable yourself.

Probably the best after care purchase you can make is an original Honda service manual in paper form (it will be a 1997 manual with a 2000 supplement). New ones used to be available; however, looks like they might be out of print. You may have to try E bay to score one.

How is the speed of your windows - another genuine NSX issue. The NSX is known for sluggish windows which only get slower with age. Search for Hugo's window kit or Hugabuga window kit for a fix for the window regulator to improve its operation. Hugo seems to be out of the business or slowing down on the production of the kits, so you might want to search around to see if you can still pick one up.

What a car and color. Congrats!! Just curious; did you notice any power loss coming from essentially sea level to Denver?

Lucky sunovagun. I wish I'd been able to find a blue in my searches. Yours is a unicorn. Another former S2000 owner here, only I had an AP1.

Enjoy in good health!

The notchy shift when cold, particularly 1-2 isn't an issue, its a 'feature'. My car does it and the limited number of 6 speed owners that I have conversed with all report some level of balkiness. So, deliberate steady shifts until its hot which can take a while. Once stinky hot, shifts are perfect. If things don't improve when hot, then that may require further investigation and / or the magic synchromesh cocktail; but, with your low mileage you should not be having an issue.

They definitely get better as the car warms up, just like the S2000. But they're still a bit notchy. I wasn't sure if this was because of the shifter location vs the transmission (i.e. linkage) or the fluid or what. It's probably due for new fluid anyway so I'll try that and see if it improves.

New cylinders for the trunk are available. If you go new, go OEM rather than aftermarket - don't lose the little clip for the brake light wire. This guy rebuilds the struts and is reported to be good. Give him an email to see if the saving is worth it.
http://strutwise.tech/

Thanks for this, I also found Strutwise last night after looking around. I also washed the car yesterday and realized that the gas struts for the engine glass need help too.

See Brian K at NSX Erepair for the dreaded speaker pop. New door speaker amplifiers are also available directly from Bose. You are a software person. If you can also manage a little hardware, the amplifier fix is doable yourself.

Copy that, and thanks for the reference. I'm not looking to do a full audio overhaul so this plus the bluetooth-cd-changer piece might cover me.

Probably the best after care purchase you can make is an original Honda service manual in paper form (it will be a 1997 manual with a 2000 supplement). New ones used to be available; however, looks like they might be out of print. You may have to try E bay to score one.

How is the speed of your windows - another genuine NSX issue. The NSX is known for sluggish windows which only get slower with age. Search for Hugo's window kit or Hugabuga window kit for a fix for the window regulator to improve its operation. Hugo seems to be out of the business or slowing down on the production of the kits, so you might want to search around to see if you can still pick one up.

Window speed seems fine, they don't strain that I can tell.

did you notice any power loss coming from essentially sea level to Denver?

I didn't push the car in NYC, sorry :( not knowing the service history I tried to take it easy most of the way. I've had friends move here from sea level saying that it's noticeable in their cars, but I did get on the car once up here and it's very quick.

Mine's been running great. In celebration of Spring, I changed the oil & applied a fresh coat of wax. I drove it down to the Springs and back last night via Sedalia & Palmer Lake, which is a beautiful drive. Ping me before you head out to C&C. It would be great to see your car up close. Who knows, we might even be able to convince Bruce to pull the cover off of his.

Glad to hear it! Bruce and I took that route a few years back from watching a Broncos game at a restaurant down there, great drive. Parker C&C is getting huge and if you're not there by ~7 the parking isn't great, so I plan on being there early. I'll PM you my contact info. Would be awesome to get Bruce to go as well, roll up together and park side by side!

Lucky sunovagun. I wish I'd been able to find a blue in my searches. Yours is a unicorn. Another former S2000 owner here, only I had an AP1.

Absolutely 100% agree on the luck bit :D a friend who knew I was looking put me in touch with the original owner within ~3 hours of the listing going up, I verbally committed to buying it the next morning knowing that if I didn't, somebody else would jump on it. If I had waited on this one, who knows when the next one would have come up...

Hi all! I've been lusting after the NSX for years and seriously in the market since January. This past weekend I picked up a 2000 MBP / Camel with 32K miles in New York City, from its original owner. Then I drove it back to Denver, 1730 miles in about 46 hours. I'm a big fan of fly&buy&drive, which is how I got my last car ('11 Lexus GS460) home.

Immediate plans: take it to Chris Wayland at FlatIrons Acura in Boulder to do a full end to end inspection. The previous owner's mechanic took great care of the car but he only took cash and provided no records, the owner told me to call him and ask what he had done to the car and when :biggrin: so it's time to start the paper trail on this car. CarFAX shows no accidents or title issues.

Known issues: the shifting is a little notchy, like how my S2000 feels before the transmission warms up. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the original transmission fluid. The gas pistons that hold the trunk up have lost seal. And the speakers pop sometimes when adjusting volume. And that's it. Any initial concerns on how the car was cared for were dispelled when I saw the car in person, the cosmetic condition is immaculate.

I also want to thank @RacerXwing for his Gen1 NSX Market Analysis thread, this was a great primer to know what to expect to pay but to also explain some of the quirks of the buying process and the owners of these cars. If you are a new / prospective owner, please read that thread and message Eric, I found him to be engaging and helpful. I sent Eric my purchase price and would recommend that other new owners do the same, as it helps us to keep track of the market.

A little about me: I moved to Denver for offroading in 2011, and now help run Colorado FJ Cruisers, a 1500+ Facebook group that focuses on helping Denver locals find, buy, modify then offroad Toyota 4x4's. I'm a software developer / project manager by trade, with ~18 years spent in the telecommunications and defense&space industries. The NSX is replacing an '06 LBP S2000, both of which are excellent canyon carving vehicles for when you want to go to the Colorado mountains but not drive on dirt. The rest of our stable is an '11 FJ Cruiser (the offroader), '11 GS460 (the cruiser), wife's '15 XTerra Pro-4X (redundant to the FJ but she loves them) and our '99 Tacoma TRD.

Photos:

Before rolling out from NYC (Queens):

View attachment 143459

Home in Denver:

View attachment 143458

In the garage stored on the lift (I have a 4-post Bendpak HD-9STX):

View attachment 143460

I'd like to thank the various Prime members who messaged me about my original WTB post. Now to go dig into the audio and car detailing sections :smile:

James

Congrats.

On the speaker pop, before you tear anything apart...pop off the knobs on the head unit, get some electronics cleaner and spray that in there. Turn the knobs a bit and then see if that remedies the situation. I can't tell you how many dying head units were remedied that way. But, if you do end up needing speakers, Bose will sell them to you new in box for $140 or so per. I did this with my cars and it is an easy insurance policy for them.

Back