• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R Engine Cover Sag

No more sag for me :D

Edit.... I found out the Targa hatch frame is available for about $150 if any coupe owners need this!!!!!!!!!!

So the aftermarket R covers seem to all sag and mine is probably the worst since it's been modified to fit the Targa Without spacers. I have been trying to figure a way of supporting the other side and it came to me that the oem Targa hatch has a leather strap that snaps on to hold up the top of the oem engine cover when inserting and removing the targa top. I forgot all about it since i removed all that about 8 years ago.

I am using a prototype rod made to allow more clearance for the super charger alternator and it also props the cover up higher. Love it cause now the cover is up higher when propped, which gives it a better look from the side.

So all i needed to do was make a small clip with a nylon loop attached and it supports perfectly. The loop can barely be seen when hatch is closed and all around doesn't look bad. There is even a extra snap on hatch and leather strap so it is stored when not being used.

And a OEM fix, well almost :wink:

Mike

Last edited:
Nice! I'm wondering if the OEM lids will eventually sag over time as well?

Doubtful as the prop rod supports the OEM lid is close to the center of the lid. The R lid prop rod was moved to the passenger's side and causes the lid to sag on the driver's side.

I imagine if the OEM lid was supported the same way it would also sag - probably worse as it is heavier than the R lid.

My R lid sags when open, but then it is rarely open.

Last edited:
Doubtful as the prop rod supports the OEM lid close to the center of the lid. The R lid prop rod was moved to the passenger's side and causes the lid to sag on the driver's side.

I imagine if the OEM lid was supported the same way it would also sag - probably worse as it is heavier than the R lid.

My R lid sags when open, but then it is rarely open.

I forgot to clarify that I was asking about the OEM R lid. I have one and purchased comtec's mounting kit and now I'm wondering if it'll sag as well after some time.

I forgot to clarify that I was asking about the OEM R lid. I have one and purchased comtec's mounting kit and now I'm wondering if it'll sag as well after some time.

I imagine it will. Frame is aluminum IIRC so placing the support rod anywhere other than the center of the lid will result in some sag at the opposite side.

Nice! I'm wondering if the OEM lids will eventually sag over time as well?

Hey man,
It's hard to say without knowing what grade of Al was used and what if any hardening process. I would think it would lean a little now, may be slight enough that it's not very noticeable. It would be at it's worst on a hot day after a drive when the engine compartment is very hot. There is not enough stress on the cover to change it over time but the continual heating and cooling could change it a little. Best guess, it won't change much.

Mike

Here is a view of the clip I made for mine. It slips on the E cover then the weather strip slips right over it to where the clip is inside the weather strip.

Mike

I've used the stock one on multiple cars for the last 12 years. It is study and light and will not sag

Back