• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Suspension with increased performance?

Does anyone track their performance-improved NSX (supercharger, turbo, stroker) with the factory NSX-R suspension?

Just curious if the factory tune can handle increased speed and cornering loads.

Have you seen this video?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XcD1To6vsAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes. I love how he gushes over the NA2 R as essentially a perfect sports car. I guess my concern is that the R suspension is so finely tuned to the exact platform, if I bump up the power 60 or 70 hp, will that throw it off balance? It is looking like even single adjustable JRZ with springs, pillow ball, etc. are going to be over $3,000. There are used, street driven R suspensions out there for half that.

Yes. I love how he gushes over the NA2 R as essentially a perfect sports car. I guess my concern is that the R suspension is so finely tuned to the exact platform, if I bump up the power 60 or 70 hp, will that throw it off balance? It is looking like even single adjustable JRZ with springs, pillow ball, etc. are going to be over $3,000. There are used, street driven R suspensions out there for half that.
So... I've been trying to build my version of an R for the last 2-3yrs now. Comparing to my car now.. I'd need to swap to smaller tires, smaller brakes, less power. I'm already working on smaller BBKs (I don't really like the OEM NSX Brakes but a lot of ppl do) which will fit behind the NSX-R wheels. Swapping tires to AD08R or equivalent will be easy.. too bad Michelin doesn't make the PS4S in the 17" size we need. I'm considering a new NA motor build... BUT i'm not swapping suspension only because I think the NSX-R dampers are too track focused. With some additional tuning time i'm confident the JRZs can be tuned to be better than the NSX R's. Afterall, I think Jethro loves the last gen NSX-R because of it's playfulness. I think you get that from small rear tires and suspension tuning mostly.

So... I've been trying to build my version of an R for the last 2-3yrs now. Comparing to my car now.. I'd need to swap to smaller tires, smaller brakes, less power. I'm already working on smaller BBKs (I don't really like the OEM NSX Brakes but a lot of ppl do) which will fit behind the NSX-R wheels. Swapping tires to AD08R or equivalent will be easy.. too bad Michelin doesn't make the PS4S in the 17" size we need. I'm considering a new NA motor build... BUT i'm not swapping suspension only because I think the NSX-R dampers are too track focused. With some additional tuning time i'm confident the JRZs can be tuned to be better than the NSX R's. Afterall, I think Jethro loves the last gen NSX-R because of it's playfulness. I think you get that from small rear tires and suspension tuning mostly.

Since this will be primarily a track car, I'm really leaning toward the R setup. Only major concern is rebuild-ability, especially if I buy a used set. But, based on my research, it looks like some suspension shops can break the shock down, replace seals/o-rings, replace fluid and recharge. There is nothing magical about the R dampers- they are a twin tube, gas filled shock.

I plan on sticking with the 215/255 tire split for that very reason- it's a lively and fun car to drive.

what is interesting is my first recollection of going from the zanardi/koni combo to the R suspension many years ago.My first impression was how responsive the front was...less understeer....and then how body roll and yaw angles were reduced...on track my confidence was increased and the car was faster...I track with the venerable 235/275 setup.

Did someone ever do a shock dyno plot on the R suspension? Specifically the later NA2 NSX-R

Edit: If anyone has the time and resource to take their R dampers to a shock dyno i'd consider paying for the dyno time.

Last edited:
I will dyno them if I can find a set for less than stupid $$. We have a few good race shops here in Denver with the equipment. Mostly to determine if they are worn out, and to rebuild them to new.

It will not throw off the balance.

oh! that's a good point. I will ask Mr. Yamamoto-san if he can forward me a shock dyno of the Showas.
Thanks Billy. Have you seen the RF Yamamoto options? They actually have shock dyno plots listed.

http://www.rf-yamamoto.com/NSXfootwork/top.html

Might be worth considering, as the major Japanese tuners (KSP, RFY, Spoon, etc) have better access to the factory Honda engineers and data.

nice..I'd like to see a plot of those showas....kinda correlate the butt with the graph.;....:biggrin:

nice..I'd like to see a plot of those showas....kinda correlate the butt with the graph.;....:biggrin:

Ideally, we could build our own units to match the factory damping curves and save 30 lbs in the process!

Adnan, is the man. Very knowledgeable asset to our community!

BTW... looks like the R dyno sheet was a bust. Sorry for the false hope.

Paul, doesn't your wife read Japanese? If so, could you have here kindly translate this please? It might prove helpful.
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ssknj818/64236111.html

Nope, my wife is French. But, based on Google translate, It looks like the RFY units are Penske pistons and tubes that they custom tune. That blog also complains about the NA1 R suspension- that it leaks fluid after 1 or 2 years. It also complains that the 0.3 m/s measuring speed of the Showa is useless for understanding the slow speed damper performance.

Did someone ever do a shock dyno plot on the R suspension? Specifically the later NA2 NSX-R

Edit: If anyone has the time and resource to take their R dampers to a shock dyno i'd consider paying for the dyno time.

To shock dyno a damper, I'm guessing it is done on the damper alone and not when installed on a car?
If that's the case I have a set of NA2 Type R dampers sitting in my attic. But I don't know if there are any places to dyno them in my area.

To shock dyno a damper, I'm guessing it is done on the damper alone and not when installed on a car?
If that's the case I have a set of NA2 Type R dampers sitting in my attic. But I don't know if there are any places to dyno them in my area.
[MENTION=24109]JLCoolman[/MENTION] U Da Man!

To dyno shocks you need a machine like this. It's also done without the spring on the damper. Please let us know if this is something you can help us with! I also have access to a dyno and all i'd need is one front and one rear (not leaking)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xYFQ9kqPSPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Yes! But I think Ryu would need both fronts, since they are presumably damped differently side to side (different parts numbers)...

That would seem odd to me. I suspect the part # just signifies L vs R (i.e. positioning of brake hose clips, etc). Of course, I could be wrong...just would be odd

Possibly...I always thought it was because of the extra weight on RHD from the driver.

Back