• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I buy an NSX?

Hello nsx owners, I apologize in advance if this thread is in the wrong section. But for a while now I've been thinking about buying an nsx. I'm 18 and currently drive a 2003 berlina black s2000 that I've had for a little over a year and I would love to pair it with a nsx. Lately I've came up with a plan on how I could actually own one, It's very far fetched but certainly doable. I'll be graduating high school mid June and will be attending a local community college while working full time with my stepdad at his business temple heating and air doing hvac as a technician, which I've done since I was 16 except just recently I've learned service. Since my grades are decent, 3.0gpa, my dad has agreed that if I work full time, go to college, and put down 20k he will cosign a 20k loan as my graduation gift for me to get an nsx for roughy 40-45k. I'm looking at earlier nsxs with clean titles and 75k miles or less. As of now I have no bills besides gas, maintance to my s, insurance, registration, and I also have to pay taxes on it too but pretty much hardly any bills. I'll be living at home for the next 4 years while attending college and as long as I continue to do well in school and work full time no other bills with come up. all I would be paying is extra insurance and the monthly payment of a 4 year loan on 20k. It'd be a lot of money, pretty much everything I have, but by the time I graduate college I will have a fully paid off nsx with a little bit of credit history as well. I'm really considering pulling the trigger in the next 6 months or so if I can find the right one. But let me know how you nsx guys feel about this one. Good idea or completely idiotic? I don't know and I don't really care either way but I want an nsx and I will own one. So shoot me straight and tell me some opinions on this. Have fun (;

NO. YOu have an S2k and youre still in school. There is no reason to have two cars.

You seem somewhat level headed and did your homework. I come from the crazier/riskier side of life so, I say do it ONLY if you already own your S2K (as in not making payments, and have the title). But don't rush into it. The only reason why I say this is because you will probably have no issues with employment during/after college. HVAC technicians will always be in demand. However, sharpen your automotive knowledge so you can do *most* of your own maintenance.

You are already aware of the drawbacks with such a long-term commitment, but there are much worse things you could be spending your future money on while in college. A ton of college students take out loans on cars, but their mistake is they take out a loan on a car they will neither enjoy nor care after, for the sole reason is because it's a 'practical' car. That's boring, and is generally worth very little at the end of their loan payoff.

If you have car A.D.D. , then don't do it. People with car A.D.D. want/own a different car every other week and will never be happy anyway.

If I did things differently in life, I would have started building credit at your age. It could be a benefit later in life, and not be that big of a hit financially if you secure a rather low interest rate.

DON'T EVER SKIP A PAYMENT! If the thought of that keeps you awake at night, then build up some savings before pulling the trigger just in case an emergency comes up. If you skip a payment, it will destroy any credit building opportunity you are seeking.

Last edited:
I don't even own one yet, but being a parent of college-age kids, I'm gonna chime in on this. Rguy above has it right. One car is enough for someone in your situation. If you must have an NSX, sell the S2000 to facilitate the NSX buy. When you're done with school, and have no debt (including student loans), THEN maybe you can have 2 cars. Honestly though, even then, you should be thinking about buying a house. Save your money. If you sell the S2000, use that as your down payment, your loan on the NSX will be much less. The best option though is be happy with what you have, finish school, and have no debt.

My opinion. You're just getting started in life. SAVE $$$. The earlier you start the better. Waste it on vehicles later.

The answer is absolutely YES if someone else is paying for it. If you're paying...get one...eventually. You have to be at the right place at the right time in your life, and find the right NSX at the right price. Still too many variables in your 18-year-old life. Get your schooling done, find a stable job and go to it everyday. Everyday. Buy a house with many garage stalls for your eventual vast collection. I'm confident that Gen 1 NSXs will be around for a long, long time (if that's what you'll still desire). No need to force a purchase, then immediately regret the decision. My 1991 NSX ownership experience has been awesome but very, VERY expensive. Consider purchase price, the outrageous cost of replacement parts, regular maintenance/labor, increased insurance premiums and where to store it (inside a must), to name a few. If I were in your situation, I'd save and wait. You're young lad, don't peak too soon.

we get someone like you asking this very same hypothetical every few years....its a car if you can afford it fine...but it is a very precious one...it is aluminum....it can't carry much....you have young friends who will push you to impress them...you don't know your own limitation yet....

No. My NSX has been a great car, I really enjoy it and have no regrets in having purchased it, BUT...it's also been a money pit. Since I purchased it several years ago I've done a timing belt/water pump, snap ring repair, brake master cylinder, abs, and axle boot repairs, and they've ALL been expensive! Add to that a clear bra and paint repair (fixing scrape that occurred during transport) and you end up with auto maintenance expenses that I couldn't imagine anyone but the wealthiest college students tackling. Just concentrate on school, establish a career, save money, and enjoy the S2000, which is a heck of a car in it's own right. You're only 18! It took me until well after I was 50 to get an NSX.

I was also on the wrong side of fifty before getting an NSX. It has been bulletproof up to this point, just like my S2000. Basically fluids and tires. Unless you are able to tackle a lot of the required maintenance chores yourself, the NSX will cost you a fair bit more than the Honda over time. Both of my cars are driven for half the year in fair weather. When I was your age my daily drivers saw lots of miles, as there always seemed to be a good excuse for being on the road. Your S2000 will be considerably cheaper to run day to day than an NSX and will provide many smiles per miles.

If you hold off on the NSX, work hard and save some coin, you'll be able to get into a no stories, lower mile sorted out car. Trying to find a less expensive example now could end up turning into a money pit. The S2000 is an awesome driving car and never fails to impress me every time I take it out. By the way, for a teenager, you have great taste in cars! Best of luck in your quest.

The maintenance and repair is not as cheap on the nsx as most people think or claim it to be. Do you have 3 grand lying around if you need a clutch? If your window regulators go can you spend 500 dollars minus installation for them? What if your manifold/header gaskets go. That's another costly repair. I'm a hvac master tech and there are about 70% of the repairs or maintenance I cannot do myself for the lack of having a lift and the complex midengine layout. Almost everything on the car is fixed underneath of it. If I actually researched much about all this stuff before I bought mine I'd have never handed the previous owner money. So if you really wanted one I'd say buy a less expensive one and keep money in the bank for repairs because these cars are old ladies now.

I dunno man, if you have to ask other people if you should buy one, I'm gonna say you're not ready. Finances aside, this car is a passion kind of thing.

I say no as well. I've had this same conversation with my son who started college this year. While you're in school all you need right now is a vehicle that takes you from point A to B. Most students your age have what I call a beater car. That's a car that runs reliable and usually doesn't look that great. There's freedom in owning a beater. You don't care where you park, you only have to have liability insurance and parts and repairs are usually cheap. I had one and many, many years later my friends still talk about all of the adventures we had in that bomb.

If your S2K is free and clear then you are in great shape vehicle wise. Now is the time to focus on school and future career. After you are done with school and have established yourself in your career then, you can buy what ever you want without impairing your financial security. As for my son, He owned a 97 C6 Corvette. The cost of insurance, maintenance and gas was killing him financially. So he "actually" took my advice and sold the Corvette and bought a beater Honda Civic with a lot of miles on it. He loves that car because it's easy for him to work on, plenty of inexpensive parts are available and if it gets hit by a shopping car, someone else's door or a random beer bottle, he could care less. It won't look any worse. None of that freedom exists with an NSX. You could do a lot worse than an S2K. I love my S2K, it makes a great daily driver. The NSX is a hobby/play thing and nothing to build your life on. Just my .02. Good luck in your future endeavors. It sounds like you think things through so, I'm sure you will come to the conclusion that works for you.

Great input from everyone. :)

If you have to ask, it makes me think that you don't truly want one, so I'd say no, in your situation. Taking out a big loan for a car while in school also probably isn't the wisest idea in the world but if you truly, 100% want one, it might turn out to be something you're glad you did.

The NSX was and is my #1 dream car since I saw one in high school. It took me years, but eventually I was able to buy one. My good friend from high school drove me to pick it up; he's not a car guy so I didn't think that I talked to him about the NSX that much, but even he was pretty excited that I was getting the car that I "talked nonstop about."

Like others have stated, but can't be said enough, please make sure that you have enough money saved (thousands, not hundreds) for maintenance and any unforeseen repairs that will most likely come up with a decades old car. Although it is a Honda, parts and repairs are not cheap. Purchasing a car is just one part of ownership; upkeep costs money too!

Good luck! :)

Well guys really appreciate the opinions. The s2000 is 100% paid off with title in hand. Also, since I'm going to community college it's rather cheap at 5k a year which my dad has been saving up and has roughly 23k in a college savings fund so I will have no student loans! Now seems like the best time to get an nsx because once the real bills start hitting when I get out of college I know it won't be till I'm 40 that I can afford one!

If you plan on modding, be prepared to have your money fly from your bank account....

It's a money pit for sure. If you can find a clean maintained one and keep it stock you could pull it off, but have 10k extra for repairs. You may or may not need to use it but you definitely need the cushion.

Also, I'll be working full time so making the monthly payment is not an issue at all. Maintance would be quiet expensive but since I'll be dailying the ole reliable s2000 the nsx would be a garage queen, maybe driven 1-2 times a month, and hopefully that will keep it from needing all that expesinve maintance. I would try and do all the maintance myself since I'm mechanically inclined and trust nobody with my cars

Seems like you're trying to justify to or get approval from strangers that you should buy one so there's at least some hesitancy on your end for some (good?) reason. You only know your own situation. But, as the great philosopher, Drake, once said: YOLO. Buy it and see what happens.

Well guys really appreciate the opinions. The s2000 is 100% paid off with title in hand. Also, since I'm going to community college it's rather cheap at 5k a year which my dad has been saving up and has roughly 23k in a college savings fund so I will have no student loans! Now seems like the best time to get an nsx because once the real bills start hitting when I get out of college I know it won't be till I'm 40 that I can afford one!

Fvck it. Tell your dad to give you all that money saved and buy a car and skip college.

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

There's no reason why I'm asking for opinions and it's not to justify my decision whether I end up investing or not. I Just like hearing more than 1 opinion and I assumed it would be best hearing it from other nsx owners that have been in the position of buying one before.

There you go again. "Investing or not". For one, I'd advise you not to consider an NSX as an investment. Albeit values have gone up in recent years, old rare cars more often than not, become a massive money pit. Two, so you're saying you might not end up buying one? Why so on the fence? Seriously.

Even you are working full time, think you can afford monthly payment is the dumpest idea. That's why you see so many people driving M3 because they think they can afford a $700 payment monthly. Such materialism is so wrong for this age. The reality is you can't afford the item if you can only make monthly payment on it.

Three things to do for your age: learn how to save money, learn how to make money, and learn how to control your desire. Once you finished that, you are probably in the age of looking for a van.

Setting up a real life goal and a financial plan (saving and spending) for yourself is very important for your life. Never get a loan on a car especially on the NSX. Learn to put these money on something more valuable. The best way is to invest yourself: learn more skills, develop your career path, and travel around to open your vision etc. Most NSX owners use disposal income to play with their car. Like other said, nsx costs way more than you can think of even you think you can do it yourself (dude, the parts cost $$). Even you have the money, you should help out your family's monthly spending. How about you pay for the gas electric bill?

I suggest you to keep the S2K, make sure you keep up with the maintenance, and you should have lots of fun with it. Relax and take a further look of your life. When the time comes, you will get yours. Be patient!

No judgement here from me. I totally recommend getting one, but do your homework. I'm impressed you looked/asked on Prime as research. I love mine. It's been a fantastic hobby. Mine was 235,000 miles old when I got her. Paid $14,000 back in 2012. She was cared for, but just barely. I've touched every part of her except the front subframe. That's right. Nearly everything needed off, cleaned, redo'ed, repaired or replaced (mostly replaced). Radio broken, AC control broken, ALB inop, seats worn, engine filthy, hoses cracked, wheels scrubbed, bushings/seals worn (every single bushing/seal on her has been replaced, except the front suspension). The list is extensive. It's an exotic after all. Her 5-year-long"refresh" made my 2003 S2000 refresh feel like a 30-minute recess period in Kindergarten. If you get one that's pristine, you'll pay premium. If you get a 1991 with half-average car mileage, it'll have 150,000 miles on the clock and need the engine, suspension and interior touched. Huge dollars and time. Lots of money. Lots of time. Please go to any Acura parts website and check the pricing for the O-ring on the oil filler cap. Just the O-ring...~$28.00! Do your research, before you pull the trigger. Also, buy a service manual and study it like you're taking the NSX final exam tomorrow. I've become quite adept at SM troubleshooting, and have many people on Prime and at Acura dealership parts counters that I rely upon to assist my next repair move. She's not just any ordinary automobile, she's a journey. You might want to first journey elsewhere.

Last edited:
I asked this question 2 years ago on this forum. Granted I am in a different place than you (was buying the car in cash, had a nice job, no loans besides mortgage, already contributing to 401k) I can offer my hindsight advice. If you really want an NSX then sell your S2000. They are both coupes and you won't want an overlap there. You even said you would not be driving the NSX much as it is a garage queen. Use the cash to buy the car and like others said have about $3k-10k for repairs. If you really need a daily, then get an old civic or something like that.

I just scraped by with the cash (spent most of my savings) but I was okay. This took a lot of saving and now I am in a position to afford my own wedding. If you have planned for it and are not going into debt, just make sure you have a nice cushion and you should be fine.

Gotta jump in here with my two cents... this is not the sort of car you want to get into "by the skin of your teeth"

enjoy your s 2000

these are incredible cars, but they are toys... with no useful, meaningful use ....

Buy a condo or house.... if you think girls like fancy cars... you should see them when you have your own place!!!
Buy life insurance while your still young and healthy
start two saving accounts... one for real life and one for you nsx!!!

good luck to you

Back