• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX LoveFab at Magny-Cours F1 track

Last week end, I got invited by Honda France to the Classic Days meeting in Magny-Cours France.
They took this opportunity to show the 2017 NSX side by side with two 1990 NSX's, one of them beeing my turbo charged car.
This gave me the opportunity of testing a bunch of new stuff on my car among which:
1) the upgraded NA2 ABS
2) the Avon ZZR tires
3) the Trackaddict Iphone application
4) the new Brembo disks fitted upfront with RS 29 pads

Upgraded NA2 ABS

The equipment consisted of an S2000 AP1 modulator with 2002 OEM brake lines and a special harness from [MENTION=25737]Kaz-kzukNA1[/MENTION]
The result was quite amazing as the ABS came on maybe only once or twice but the deceleration rate was really amazing as my confidence slowly restored lap after lap.
One of the straights brings you to 221 km/h GPS speed and I could safely brake at 150 meters to negociate the hairpin at 40 km/h.

Avon ZZR tires

In the search of the perfect semi-slick tire, I discovered by accident that the Lotus Exige V6's that run in the Lotus Cup use Avon ZZR tires.
The dimensions used are 215/40*17 and 265/35*18 i.e. the perfect combo for the NSX.
Not only is the grip level amazing but on top the car is pleasant to drive (a world of difference compared to the Toyo R888 in 234/40*17 upfront).
What's even better is that the tires wear out evenly without having this dreaded outer inch wear despite my modest camber setting.
Many cars on track were fitted with slicks and none could pull away in the curves.
Driving back home in pouring rain, I felt safe up to 120 km/h.

Trackaddict application

As I wanted to record some telemetry on track, I bought this application for my Iphone SE.
The good news is that it's very easy to set-up contrary to Harry's laptimer at least in my view.
The main issue comes from the Iphone support that can't hold the camera still resulting in a shaky image.
The picture quality is not in the same league as my Hero 5 but good enough for me.

Brembo disks an RS 29 pads

This was the only disappointing part of the week end.
I had tried to run in the pads before the meeting but after a couple of laps a tremendous shudder appeared.
Luckily as the day went on the shudder slowly vanished without disappearing alltogether.

The major lesson learned during the two days is that "Light is right"
During one of the sessions a Lotus Exige followed me until my braking performance improved.
This Exige weighs around 900 kg with only 190 hp against my NSX at around 1400 kg including the passenger.
Luckily my 400 hp made the difference but I now understand why the NSX-R's could go so fast with an NA engine!

I'll post a video as soon as it's uploaded on YouTube.

Here's a picture in the meantime with the Lotus Exige behind me

17N197_3473%201_zpshhzgmv4v.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative post, looked like FUN too!

Yes, I forgot to mention the fun factor for sure.
Part of the fun also came from the LoveFab turbo kit blowing at 8 psi.
The performance is exhilarating and seeing the Porsche's ( from an other era it's true) disappear in the rear view mirror added to the fun factor.
Here's the video.
It's my first video with an Iphone so please excuse the poor quality but at least one get's a view of the F1 Magny-Cours track and the speeds that can be attained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7hiiX-Vmig&feature=youtu.be

Back