• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who has the most power from a CTSC kit?

One of my NSX buddies mentioned the other day that I might have the most rwhp (425) of any supercharged NSX.

Not important to me at all as of course there are many way more powerful turbo cars out there, and being at 425rwhp, supposedly on the edge of reliability with stock internals if someone said "here's 50rwhp for $50" I would likely say, "uh, no thanks!"

But it got me interested.

Who is running more RWHP and what mods, and on what dyno?

Cheers

Lol sorry boca rat. Goin down. There's always someone else.. I didnt have the whipple, tho i think i made 465 on my paxton. Sampson tho...that guy custom made a lot of his own parts, very knowledgeable guy. He's been running 500rwhp for years.

Shouldn't you also mention the details of your setup and dyno?

Ken Sampson had a supercharged setup running quite high. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/160416-2001-nsx-t-vin-jh4na21661t000035

Darn, that's a big number!

Sure, here is my info. I am not trying to win anything here, more idle curiosity than anything else.

FWIW, I have a 166k mile Whipple CTSC (45k I think with the SC, track time before that), 9 PSI 3" pulley. AEMv1, RC660 injectors, DC headers, CT exhaust, Walbro 255, custom fabbed inlet manifold with built in intercoooler built by Mase and Stage 6 in Jacksonville. I believe the inlet manifold is the CTSC one that was worked over - I was told just the rework added 25hp.

Tried to post the Dyno sheet, but got this when I clicked "Go Advanced"

This page isn’t working

Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards).

ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR

Last edited:
Screw the Dyno chart, post a video!:biggrin:

[MENTION=28615]boca rat[/MENTION] your setup sounds pretty sweet. Can you post pictures of how the charge cooler is set up? What kind of dyno was it tuned on?

Try this, let me know if it works. Note the original install was on another local NSX. previous owner then bought the install. I need to get some pics of the under front hood reservoir and pump. Mase's Dyno Dynamics "heart breaker" dyno.

http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/cerria2/library/91 nsx

Last edited:
It works. Cool set up!

When you drove
my Whipple 2.3 CTSC car I don't remember you WOT'ing it or anything crazy, but anyway on E85 it has made 443whp on a Dynapack.

There is another SC'ed NSX in town with 550whp+ from a built engine.

So what is your setup exactly, Jack?

When you drove
my Whipple 2.3 CTSC car I don't remember you WOT'ing it or anything crazy, but anyway on E85 it has made 443whp on a Dynapack.

There is another SC'ed NSX in town with 550whp+ from a built engine.

It works. Cool set up!

Just saw your sig. LOL. Sold my 99 540i/6 for the same reason. Swore I would never buy another German car. 2 months ago bought an RS6 6 speed conversion. Make the BMW look like a freaking Honda.

We bought it new and waited for it to cross the ocean from Germany. It was a great car until about 90,000 miles. I don't miss it thought after owning the Equus...

I just sent a text to your old number from before.

The interior isn't done but I look forward to showing you all the progress.

1991 nsx 3.0L all stock block 94,000 miles. 2.3L whipple SC Ken Sampson original first built IC. Aem V1, 750 cc RC injector. 10 pounds of boost. 300 lbs torque from 3000 rpm to redline. 425 hp to the wheels. DC headers with stock cat. Exhaust Borla with 2" piping.

Last edited:
Darn, that's a big number!

Sure, here is my info. I am not trying to win anything here, more idle curiosity than anything else.

FWIW, I have a 166k mile Whipple CTSC (45k I think with the SC, track time before that), 9 PSI 3" pulley. AEMv1, RC660 injectors, DC headers, CT exhaust, Walbro 255, custom fabbed inlet manifold with built in intercoooler built by Mase and Stage 6 in Jacksonville. I believe the inlet manifold is the CTSC one that was worked over - I was told just the rework added 25hp.
I think the key is you're able to cool a "high boost" 9psi. IIRC high boost setups hover around 400whp until they heatsoak.

What fuel are you running? What dyno?

FWIW: My 3.0L got up to 383wHP on "low boost" 7psi on 50/50 meth/water with an HKS F-Con. Could have gone more but didn't see the point of tuning to the bleeding edge. I suspect we could have broke 390whp on the same Mustang dyno (known to be a conservative dyno). We calmed down the timing, put it back to crappy 91 oct fuel, and tuned for only water spray for heat management. 350wHP is where we ended up. Now I run a mix of 50/50 for the added octane insurance. Car has felt super healthy for several years now. I'm actually overdue for a retune and should probably swap out those worn out 02 wideband sensors.

1991 nsx 3.0L all stock block 94,000 miles. 2.3L whipple SC Ken Sampson original first built IC. Aem V1, 750 cc RC injector. 10 pounds of boost. 300 lbs torque from 3000 rpm to redline. 425 hp to the wheels. DC headers with stock cat. Exhaust Borla with 2" piping.

Info on the intercooler? Noticeably better torque figures than mine.

Ryu, my numbers were from a Dyno Dynamics, 93 octane pump gas, Oh and it's a 3.0L, with a 1.6L Whipple.

Any proof one is more reliable at a certain PSI? I know my 7.5 psi Turbo puts down 325+ torque. No meth, 440 injectors, AFR always below 12. Mercedes for example has all but abandoned SC. That being said SC sounds bad ass.

Any proof one is more reliable at a certain PSI? I know my 7.5 psi Turbo puts down 325+ torque. No meth, 440 injectors, AFR always below 12. Mercedes for example has all but abandoned SC. That being said SC sounds bad ass.
I haven't seen any formalized data collected on it. Just local accounts from the trusted (local) tuner shops here in Socal over the years.

With Turbo technology being so good now and ECU's and DBW control, as well as multi port injection and direct injection, etc also being so good manufacturers are all going turbo because its just more efficient if controlled properly. I just don't think all of those fancy controls would be worth retrofitting into an old NSX motor so you only really get the benefit of better turbo design and better ECU control of very basic parameters.

I can't go turbo here because of smog legality and because I don't want to run a scavenge pump. Though ASM's turbo looks pretty nice (no pump).

Bummer about the lack of fotos in that thread. A major problem with Prime IMHO. Post some more here?

Back