• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tires... as simple a question as I can ask

Not trying to get into a giant tire discussion here guys... iT'S IN THE WRONG FORUM FOR THAT

Just your opinion as to what you would do... or what you would want to see on a car if you were buying it.. NO I am not selling my car... but you know what I mean!!

1995 nsx t
18 on front 215/35 18
19 on rear 265/30 19

TRACTION / PERFORMANCE NOT REALLY AN ISSUE.... I DRIVE THIS CARE VERY VERY EASY
RIDE CONFORT A PLUS
ROAD FEEL A PLUS THRU THE STERRING WHEEL
LONGEVITY A BIT OF A PLUS... BUT .. IT GETS DRIVEN 2500 MILES A YEAR TOPS
COST NOT REALLY AN ISSUE... IT'S THE ONLY SET OF TIRES I'LL EVER PUT ON IT

THE CAR IS LOWERED JUST A BIT, I AM NOT IN THE MOOD TO "SEE IF SOMETHING ELSE WILL FIT.... THEY ARE TIGHT IN THE WHEEL WELLS AND LOOKS WONDERFUL

CURRENT TIRES ARE GENERAL ACCAIMS UHP... OUT OF PRODUCTION
FRONT ARE 7 YEARS OLD WITH PLENTY OF TREAD
REARS ARE "GONE"..

THERE ARE ONLY 2 BRANDS OF TIRES THAT I CAN MATCH ALL 4 TIRES FOR BRAND, MODEL TREAD PATTERN, AND SIZE.
SUMITOMO WHICH I AM NOT BUYING
NEXEN SU1 ALL FOUR MATCH AND CORRECT SIZE

I WOULD HAVE JUST LOVED MICHELIN PILOT TIRE, BUT WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED I CANNOT GET ALL 4 TOO MATCH

I COULD GET JUST TWO NON MATCH GENERAL AND KEEP THE FRONTS

I CAN GET NITTO NEOGENS IN THE FRONT AND NITTO NTSSS IN THE REAR... CORRECT SIZE, NON MATCH TIRES

SO... DO I GO WITH

4 MATCHING NEXEN
2 NEW GENERALS IN REAR NOT MATCHING BUT CORRECT SIZE... AND JUST USE THE FRONTS I HAVE
NITTOS... CORRECT SIZE BUT NOT MATCHING TIRES

THANKS TO ALL

So, are you saying you never go into VTEC or what ? ;^D

First, putting new rears with 7 year old fronts isn't a good idea....even if they DID match.

Performance tires tend to 'time out' after 6 years or so, so that would be a doubly bad mismatch.

Second, don't write off the Sumitomo's so quickly.......they were the only ones that I could find in the nutty sizes the purple boostmonster needed (bought HTRZ II's- which have turned out to be more than up to the task so far ;-)

Third, I don't know anything about the Nexen's so am of no help there ;-P

Brian

So, are you saying you never go into VTEC or what ? ;^D

First, putting new rears with 7 year old fronts isn't a good idea....even if they DID match.

Performance tires tend to 'time out' after 6 years or so, so that would be a doubly bad mismatch.

Second, don't write off the Sumitomo's so quickly.......they were the only ones that I could find in the nutty sizes the purple boostmonster needed (bought HTRZ II's- which have turned out to be more than up to the task so far ;-)

Third, I don't know anything about the Nexen's so am of no help there ;-P

Brian

why yes Brian.. that does mean I won't be engaging the VTEC

Not buying sumitomo is just a personal thing with me... I used to work for a division of that company... and I know how they operate!!

and I agree with not just putting rears on.. it's was just an option that was "out there"

frankly I am finding the whole deal cheaper than I thought.... I thought this would be a much more expensive deal so I'm willing to do this "as right as I can.

Morning rant time.

Being cheap when it comes to tires is a losing proposition. I see so many totalled S2000s with crap tires on them. Tires for the NSX are generally not very expensive, though I haven't priced 18/19 sizes.

I worry about the health of a motor that is driven so lightly that it doesn't get into VTEC and is only driven 2500 miles a year. Motors need to get hot to burn off water and other contaminants. "Italian tuneup" is not just a joke.

Finally, you don't need to scream at us.

Morning rant time.

Being cheap when it comes to tires is a losing proposition. I see so many totalled S2000s with crap tires on them. Tires for the NSX are generally not very expensive, though I haven't priced 18/19 sizes.

I worry about the health of a motor that is driven so lightly that it doesn't get into VTEC and is only driven 2500 miles a year. Motors need to get hot to burn off water and other contaminants. "Italian tuneup" is not just a joke.

Finally, you don't need to scream at us.

Be nice to Gthong, he's a really cool and soft-spoken guy in person so it's nice to see him give a shout out as it were!

I razz him all the time (like a BOSS) about needing to excersize the VTEC Solenoids, it's kind of our thang now ;^D

To be fair, regardless of what tires are mounted way too many S2000's have met a nasty fate because it's an enthusiastic youth's first time owning a RWD car.....let alone one so willing to dance.

Gthong, just go buy the tires Billy suggested. [/thread] indeed !!!

Cheers,
Brian

Be nice to Gthong, he's a really cool and soft-spoken guy in person so it's nice to see him give a shout out as it were!

I razz him all the time (like a BOSS) about needing to excersize the VTEC Solenoids, it's kind of our thang now ;^D

To be fair, regardless of what tires are mounted way too many S2000's have met a nasty fate because it's an enthusiastic youth's first time owning a RWD car.....let alone one so willing to dance.

Gthong, just go buy the tires Billy suggested. [/thread] indeed !!!

Cheers,
Brian

THANK YOU BRIAN!!!

If those tire are available.. I WILL buy them... I wanted Michelins from the "get go"... but when you actually try to buy them... they don't exist ! and I am not fiddling with tire size Believe me, I was quite disappointed not to be able to spend more to get "supposedly better tires!!

I'm running the Falken Azenis rt-615's and I love them. I have a turbo nsx and they never over rotate. The power transfer is amazing for the cost.

Tire rack. It's where I bought my PSS. Best tires ever.
IMG_0254.jpg

I run Yokohama S Drive 215/35ZR/18 front and 275/30ZR/19 back for only $630 total.

The low road noise and comfort level is great on the PSS. It makes it as if your riding on a much thicker walled tire size. Grip is insane for a street tire. Totally worth having the front of my car up higher than most nsx's due to the 225 width.

I'd go with the Dunlop ZII Star Spec. They have superior dry grip to the PSS and are nearly as good in the wet. Plus the tread pattern looks cooler and they're made in Japan. The only downside in my experience is they're a noisy tire.

I'd go with the Dunlop ZII Star Spec. They have superior dry grip to the PSS and are nearly as good in the wet. Plus the tread pattern looks cooler and they're made in Japan. The only downside in my experience is they're a noisy tire.
Please read the thread. The StarSpec does not come in a front tire size that will work for his needs.

The StarSpecs are nowhere near as good as the PSS in the wet.

Dunlop is an English tire company that's now owned co-owned by Goodyear (USA) and Sumitomo (Japan) -who make tires for their respective markets. Sumitomo's Asian-market Dunlops are made in South Africa.

I have PSS on my "winter" car - A5 Sline. Great handling and, as others have said, quiet. Get them if you can. Potenzas on the NSX in original tire size for a 1991 with original wheels.

Yes, what others have said. If 225 will work up front, go for PSS. If you're not looking to spend much i have a set of Falken FK453 in 215/35/18 and 275/30/19 with ~3k miles I will let go for cheap - but if you want to buy new, I would go with the PSS.

Jinks, could you possibly give me a definition of PSS and where would I find that on the advertisement on tire rack tires thanks Jinks...

Back