• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you still order replacement OEM Keyless remotes ?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend an Acura dealer where I can order a replacement OEM keyless entry remote for a 1997 NSX ? Does Kenwood still make these ? I remember reading a thread where someone mentioned an Acura dealer who did this, but I cannot find it using the advanced search function. I did try ordering at my local Acura dealer in Elk Grove, CA and they looked at me as if I was asking for a part for the Enterprise's warp drive. I also tried contacting Kenwood .... after several transfers, I got nowhere.

I finally had the chance to get the serial number/code from the OEM keyless brain, as I am currently home recovering from radiation therapy for a brain tumor.

For anyone that has removed the OEM keyless unit under the dashboard, what holds the screw of the bracket to the underneath of the dash ? Is there a clip ? I removed the bracket screw (without removing the lower dash panel) and can't figure out what it screwed into.

Thank you for your help - it is much appreciated !

First the easier part - it has been 6 years since I installed mine so my memory is a little fuzzy. MY car is a 2000 which I think should be the same as yours - passenger side air bag? My recollection is that the retaining nuts for the controller are loose which allowed for some flexibility in positioning the unit. As such, when you removed the unit the nuts will have slipped out of place. As I recall during the installation process, the under dash panel came off, you attached the controller to the bottom of the under dash panel and then re installed the panel. So, to reinstall the controller you will have to remove the under dash panel. If the car has moved at all since removal of the controller, chances are the retaining nuts have rolled 'someplace'. If you can't find them, on my car they just look like a regular metric machine screw so you should be able to find replacement nuts relatively easy (in Canada I know that Lowes has a selection of metric fasteners in their stores).

The remote is more difficult. The Acura part # is 08e61-sl0-2000-01. The dealer should be able to tell you whether that part # is still available and can be coded to match the coding number on you controller. If new remotes are not available, the easy path to replacement is blocked. There are other potential ways to fix this. The remotes are coded by punching holes in a flexible wire ribbon inside the remote. This is how they create the individual 101101.. (or whatever) code that the remote transmits. If you still have one of the remotes and you can source a used working remote, with a soldering iron and some level of dexterity, using your original remote, you can replicate the pattern of open and closed wires in the replacement remote. There is a thread on Prime from about 3+ years ago where somebody describes this process.

If you don't have an original remote, it should theoretically be possible to open up the master to determine the individual code. The code may be on a similar ribbon connector; but, more likely on a DIP switch because the larger box allows for the space taken up by a DIP switch. This last bit is conjecture as I have not pulled apart my keyless controller to investigate.

Finally, there are companies that sell universal remotes. I have not investigated these options and have no clue as to their compatibility with the Kenwood unit and how they might be coded to match the remotes. They may require an active remote to learn the code from like the old 'learning' TV remotes.

Old Guy - Thank you very much for your help !!!

I removed the 2 screws the under dash panel (as described in the service manual), but can't seem to get the under dash panel off. Do I have to remove the glovebox door before I can remove the under dash panel ?

As for the remotes - I called my local Acura dealer again and this time I spoke to a Parts Technician that knew the process of ordering new NSX remotes. I drove to the parts department and ordered two of them. I'll post again whether or not I actually receive them.

As I recall, just the two screws for the under glove box panel. But, as I also vaguely recall, there were two or three plastic catches along the back edge of the panel (back being towards the passenger seat). I recall that the padded bolster directly below the glove box door is part of the lower panel. Once the two screws are out, you need to pry on that bolster piece to release the panel. I can't recall whether the plastic catches release by pulling down or pulling back so do this gently. You don't want to be snapping anything off.

You definitely do not need to remove the glove box door 'before' because you need to get that bolster piece off to expose the screws which hold the glove box door on. Be aware that there is a fairly large pin on the front of the panel which fits into a hole on a bracket on the firewall. As a result the panel will not just drop down. You need to pull the panel back towards the seat to get the pin out of the hole before the panel completely releases.

I received the two OEM keyless remotes I ordered from the dealer last week, and they work perfectly. In total, it took about a week and a half to arrive. They actually came with the leather cases - which was a pleasant surprise. The cost of each remote was less than I thought it would be.

I received the two OEM keyless remotes I ordered from the dealer last week, and they work perfectly.
Did you have to program them as Old Guy was suggesting? Do they say Acura or Kenwood on them anywhere? Mine are starting to go but mine say 'Prestige' on them and an FCC number on the back so they may have been aftermarket as the FCC number seems to be compatible with other two button remotes .. but all say they have to be 'programmed'.

The remotes I received do indeed say "Acura" on the front and the back. The black case (could be leather or vinyl - not sure) also has "Acura" on the front. Each order included the remote, batteries, case and 2 black split key rings. The remotes came pre-programmed from Kenwood, all sealed up in a plastic bag. The two new remotes look exactly like the one that came with the car. The only thing that was different, was the new remotes have the remote SN on the back handwritten as opposed to printed. I'm wondering how much stock of remotes and cases Kenwood has left to make replacements.

You can PM chaseacura for these remotes.

OP, that was quick! That's great!

Another option for other people who may need the remotes.

This was back in October 2014 when I inquired, but Tim at Acura of Peoria said it would cost $89 and it would take around a month to get. He would also need the car's VIN and the serial number from the brain.

Tim Poliniak
Acura of Peoria
www.oemacuraparts.com
1-866-347-8355

I received the two OEM keyless remotes I ordered from the dealer last week, and they work perfectly. In total, it took about a week and a half to arrive. They actually came with the leather cases - which was a pleasant surprise. The cost of each remote was less than I thought it would be.

Did you have to program the remote? Which dealership did you order yours from if you don't mind sharing? Other than providing the serial number/code from the OEM keyless brain and your VIN what else is needed for the remote to come pre-program. Thanks.

My NSX is a 1991 and I never had a remote. The security system is turned on by the key when the doors are locked.

Do you know if it is possible to add the remote to my system?

My NSX is a 1991 and I never had a remote. The security system is turned on by the key when the doors are locked.

It sure is possible. Check to see if you have the keyless brain under the dash. If you do, then just order a remote.

If you don't have the keyless brain, you'll have to buy the whole kit with the brain and remotes. But don't worry, all of these cars are wired for the alarm so it'll be a straightforward installation.

Hopefully you have a functional brain so all you'll need is the remote. Good luck!

Did you have to program the remote? Which dealership did you order yours from if you don't mind sharing? Other than providing the serial number/code from the OEM keyless brain and your VIN what else is needed for the remote to come pre-program. Thanks.

The remotes came pre-programmed by Kenwood and work perfectly. I purchased them from Elk Grove Acura (877) 285-0740. All you need to give them is the car's VIN and the SN# from the remote or the keyless entry module under the dash. The cost was $100 per remote.

Maybe yes, maybe no. The keyless entry system was a dealer / owner installed retrofit. New keyless entry packages were still available from Acura around 2012 when I installed mine. I think the part # for my systems is 08E60-SLO-201F, not sure about the part number for the early systems. You could check with the dealer to see if it is still available. If not, you could search for a used one; however, the unit requires an interposing wiring harness (which comes in the kit). I think there were 3 versions. Up to 93 or 94, 94 to around 97 and then everything after that. The controller is the same, the harness is not so if you buy a used one, make sure it is for the correct model year. If you buy used, make sure you get the two matching remotes.

You can check to see if you have the keyless entry already installed and a previous owner just lost the remotes. You need to stick your head under the glove box in the passenger footwell. On post passenger air bag cars, the controller is mounted on the bottom side of the panel under the glove box and is easily visible. I think on your 1991 the controller may be mounted above that panel and may be difficult to see. If you already have a master, then all you need to do is purchase the matching remotes fro Acura as described.

Last edited:
Tim Poliniak says that there may be a keyless entry control unit in the car. Do you guys know if I can look for it without removing the glove box? All Tim needs is the 8 digit serial number and he can order the key fob for $82.

Thanks,

Ken

You do not need to remove the glove box, just the cover below the glove box which is held in place by two screws and some clips at the edge under the front of the glove box - see post #4 . Check the service manual on the Wiki for a more complete description if you need it. Should take 10 min tops to remove the cover, inspect and replace.

You do not need to remove the glove box, just the cover below the glove box which is held in place by two screws and some clips at the edge under the front of the glove box - see post #4 . Check the service manual on the Wiki for a more complete description if you need it. Should take 10 min tops to remove the cover, inspect and replace.

I did exactly what Old Guy said to remove the cover panel with the Keyless Entry Module. Mine was a bit of a struggle to get off, but I was finally successful.

After not finding the control unit I took out the glove compartment and there is no keyless entry brain back there, just an empty plug. The previous owner of my car must've either removed it or never got it as an option when the 1991 was purchased. I would really need to locate an OEM complete kit for my car which, as I understand it's nearly impossible.

After not finding the control unit I took out the glove compartment and there is no keyless entry brain back there, just an empty plug. The previous owner of my car must've either removed it or never got it as an option when the 1991 was purchased. I would really need to locate an OEM complete kit for my car which, as I understand it's nearly impossible.

Contact user saansijack. In December of 2016, he had a complete system (wiring harness, brain, 2 remotes) for sale.

Thank you for referring me to Jack. He has a complete kit. We are working it out now and I hope to have it soon for installment since mine is a 1991 there are a couple of extra steps.

Thank you for referring me to Jack. He has a complete kit. We are working it out now and I hope to have it soon for installment since mine is a 1991 there are a couple of extra steps.

Glad it worked out for you !!! Let us know how the installation goes.

Back