• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Willman stereo retrofit stock stereo

So this weekend I installed a Willman rebuilt NSX radio. My old radio came with the car and it would not even light up. The aftermarket one was installed and it had a flip up screen which blocked the Hvac controls. They also tore up the console cover to install so that also had to be purchased.

Options are go with this option or another aftermarket.

The plus. The stock appearing stereo gives the stock look which I like. It also gave me Bluetooth and streaming. The downside is the stereo is a little hard to use(only one button works and it controls everything) and you get one remote which if you lose it then very hard to use. The other downside was cost 1600 stereo plus console cover.

Aftermarket was cheaper would have been 400 for the stereo I liked plus 250 for a aftermarket console or 600 for a Euroboutique console which has the setback which makes it easier to see.

I basically doubled the cost to have a stock appearing stereo. I think in the long run if I do choose to sell will be better since I can put my car back to stock configuration in about 2 hours, since all my mods are bolt ons.

Experience with Daryl was excellent. My stereo and speakers were both aftermarket as well as I had an amp in the trunk. I emailed him with what I had. He carefully explained what I needed asked a lot of questions asked for pictures and was great about explaining everything I needed to do or could do. The stereo came with custom instructions step by step install took me about 90 minutes total taking off everything and putting it back together. Everything works fine and looks great.

Sorry rambled a bit but wanted to make sure I got all my thoughts in.

I've been using Willman's rebuilt NSX stereo for about a year and a half now and I like it. Keeps the original stock look with Bluetooth and USB cable. I'm only using the rear glass antenna so the factory power antenna stays down when I turn on the stereo.

I agree 100%...
My OEM radio display quit shortly after I bought the car in December, even though the radio worked fine. Thanks to this forum, I came across Daryl's web site and contacted him. He was very helpful and patient with my many questions and was zero pressure, but eventually suggested converting my head unit to digital. I was hesitant about giving up the OEM unit but he said he had one in stock that he could convert so I could keep the original for posterity. Since we all know it's getting harder and harder to get some NSX OEM stuff, I bit the bullet. Glad I did.
Daryl provided a paper owners manual and I also found a PDF online. Being from the analog generation it has been a bit challenging trying to wade thru the menus & functions using the single toggle, but I've gotten it to the point that I'm comfortable using it. Digital displays, "knobs," and menus drive me nuts! Just let me drive, DAMMIT! Truth is, I've always been much more interested in driving any car rather than fiddling with the radio controls, etc. I mean, just listen to that jewel of an engine back there!
One suggestion: I tried using just the rear glass antenna without the mast antenna and it did not hold even strong stations for more than a few miles. I reconnected the mast antenna and everything is fine. What's wrong with a mast antenna anyway?
Daryl's conversion looks great, sounds great and I like having Bluetooth for hands free phone operation if needed. Someday maybe my grandkids will look up and thank me for keeping the OEM head unit and CD changer! haha
AJ

http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx.htm

Agreed on all points 7tcatvert! I did this a couple of years ago. Daryl's the best and this is the only way to have a reliable, working head unit while keeping the OEM appearance. I gave up trying to use the joystick knob, but eventually figured out the remote and working through the menus. Bluetooth is great, and you can use the plug-in to charge your phone.

not sure if you guys are aware but darryl has upgraded the retrofit stock radio with a new version...I have been on fence for little bit about making the swap.. first version didn't match color second version like mentioned above was one button joystick control... darryl has made a new version which I finally purchased.. he emailed me letting me know this new version was about to be completed and would let me know when a video would be produced to see.. he contacted me minutes after putting it up on youtube as promised..seems to be as close to seamless as possible and cold only imagine what is involved to make work as some of the buttons on original radio have functions (learning curve I'm sure) I sent a him a slave unit I had purchased that was in good shape and he credited me for it based on his fair appraisal scale plus fee for new retrofitted radio and then he shipped the new one to me..great guy to deal with and looking forward to putting into the car in the near future as it is hibernating for the winter here in New York... the radio that is in the car now is perfect oem I will keep just in case decide to sell I can go back to true stock..would reccomend looking at Daryl's site and contacting him ...to me to have the look of stock and the bells and whistles of the new generation of options was key to me.. to replace the radio or modify the interior to me takes away from the beauty or charm of the car.. to now have bluetooth, xm,hd, and matching display color with charging port for phone is nice deal....just my two cents

Last edited:
Does anyone know if he also repairs the climate control unit? I was going to do both of them, ie stereo and climate control at once.

A follow up to this thread.
I recently had to replace the battery in the car, but for some unknown reason the bluetooth function stopped working. The head unit would not automatically connect to my phone, nor would it even recognize the phone. I emailed Daryl, who very patiently explained a couple options, which i tried without success.
Well the ol' analog guy outsmarted the digital thingy! I poured over the poorly translated from Japanese M502 manual and tried everything under "select" menu but nothing worked. The unit would just not see my iphone, and the closet I could get to any explanation on the display was "No Pairing." There was no list to show that my iphone even existed. Soooo...
I went into my iphone, turned on bluetooth, went to "My Devices" list, opened the M502 info and selected "Forget this Device" which took it off the list. Then I turned off bluetooth on the phone, turned it back on, saw M502 was again listed and the unit displayed that it was looking to confirm a 6 digit code. Since I had no idea how to confirm the code, I just accepted it and BINGO, bluetooth is connected! The cure was kinda like the old, "turn it off and turn it back on" solution for us analog guys.
Thanks as always to Daryl's willingness to help out a clueless customer. His products are well worth the investment and he backs them up 100%.
AJ

Last edited:
$1600? I paid $800 and change. I don’t think he’s doubled his prices in 2 1/2 years since I had my radio done?

Anyone have a link to buy the radio? I've been looking for something like this as I prefer to keep my car looking all stock.

Back