• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My personal opinion and review on Gen 2 NSX

The Gen 2 NSX is interesting as it is in a segment where it is competing against AMG GTS, R8, Porsche 911 Turbo, GT3, Ftype SVR, and maybe GTR Nismo.

At MSRP of $158k bare bone + $9800 CCB (which is a must have), even a low optioned one with just CCB is near $170k before tax and license fee. Add options then it quickly reach $190k to $205k. The pool of buyers on $150k+ car are small to began with. I dare to say even among gen 1 owners who are in market for $150+k are extremely small. The people who can spend this kinda money will likely go for other marquees unless they already own them. Not too mention the selection of other cars available increase dramatically if we include used market. This is where people will miss out like how they miss out on generation 1 NSX until years later. We are also in a different time period than before with youtube, social media, raising oversea and domestic economy that dramatically increased exotic car production numbers and number of exotic cars on the road.

Surprisingly NSX has quickly becoming my favorite all around car in just a week. The more I drive it the more I like it. The same for my business partner, we both purchase NSX within 5 days apart. He got 4 cars and 720S on order, I have 5. I have watched all review videos and seen many pictures, but never seen one in person until early this month. Similar proportion as Huracan, R8, 488GTB, but more striking. It just look different than anything else on the road.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets look at its strength:

P1 and 918 are no longer in production. So this leaves Laferrari Aperta and NSX as only hybrid supercar. Its strength is not to be the fastest car out there, but certainly do put out some respectable numbers.
0~60mph 2.8~3.1sec
0~100mph 6.8~7.2sec
1/4mile 10.8sec~11.1sec
0~160mph (fall flat on its face compare to other competitors)

On the street other than Tesla P100D with ludicrous mode, no sub million car can get the initial jump off the line without using launch control like NSX can and do it gracefully without looking like it is trying. Line up with a C7 Z06 or Hellcat, NSX will absolutely embarrass the other 2, the other 2 will catch up eventually or never. But they will look like they are trying too hard and run out of road by then. It be interesting if Acura will release software update. I am sure Acura/Honda left a lot of room for improvement similar that of GTR.

Daily drivability-car has all the bells and whistles, back up camera, lexus like comfort seat, carplay, bluetooth, reasonable size trunk more functional than Huracan.

Multiple drive settings- I mainly drive in Sport + or track, it is nice to have choices and different personality.

CCB brakes- zero brake dust, surprisingly quiet, wheels stay clean.

Engine and exhaust note-actually decent, not too loud even in Sport+ or track mode. Stealthy like original NSX without aftermarket exhaust. The upshift noise it makes from outside sounds really awesome.

Steering- feels pretty analog to me, even though it is artificially made to feel analog.

Handling- The car grips and blast out of corner with authority.

Drivetrain- Hybrid + Turbo, big displacement V6, everything is instant.

Small details- Carbon look owners manual folder, signed individual built sheet.

Cup holder-cheesy indeed, at least it has one compare to other competitors

Attention- it get the good kind from other car enthusiast. Lambo gets the worst you rich asshole kind of attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I dislike:
Seats- it is extremely comfortable and probably too plush and caused it to lose a lot of sporty feel. No height adjustment is kinda odd, if no height adjustment then I would rather have manual seats to save weight. A carbon fiber alcantara bucket seat option would had been nice. The 570S had perfect execution of comfortable bucket seats that happen to be very sporty at the sametime.

Exhaust- while it makes awesome noise on upshifts, it is only to entertain others from outside, driver can barely hear it inside the car. I do not want a loud car as I like to drive fast without attracting too much attention. But this is simply way too quiet.

No soft close door- Honda/Acura should had included soft close door to give it more premium feel

Interior Carbon Package- This package gives so little carbon fiber, no carbon fiber shifter paddles. My previous Granturismo MC Stradale had the best execution of what a interior carbon fiber package should be.

Exterior carbon package- not aggressive enough, rear diffuser fin too unnoticeable.

Design flaws- there are couple really tiny design flaw that would cost Honda/Acura next to nothing to fix, for example, the fender portion in front of the door where tire will kick up rocks, that part should had been black instead of body color to give it more clean look. Otherwise, it always look dirty.

Key-look just like any other Acura key fob, nothing special, these are small details that counts.

Acceleration- rolling acceleration is at best GTR like, 9speed a bit over kill, 7speed is more than enough. Doesn't seem to reach redline at stupid fast pace like 570S.

No folding mirror

No front lifter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion is that Honda/Acura did a great job creating another New Sports Car Experimental to set the tone for what is to come in the automotive industry. I am glad I gave NSX and myself a chance, I do not think I will ever leave NSX again other than buying the next one.

Thanks for the great review. Really appreciate the frank comments. Post pics if you can, especially the design flaws an interior carbon accents so we can understand what you mean? I'm sure Acura would love to see them too.

Thanks for reading my Tapatalk signature

Nice review. Thanks. My quick summary of NSX is that it has outstanding "accessible performance for normal owners," which is different than "ultimate performance on racetrack with professional drivers." On backroads, freeways and around town, the NSX is easier to drive briskly than other sportscars. The NSX inspires confidence without attracting nasty looks (or cops). And the advanced technology makes it feel more special and refined than the competition-- even if it doesn't break records in the standing mile, etc.

I'm not surprised you like the car this much and liking it more day by day. It was the easiest to slip into and feel comfortable in when I first drove it. I suspect you'll have lots and lots of miles on it! In many ways they've really carried on the 1st gen's spirit in this regard.

Everytime I get asked if they should buy the new NSX, I always say.. it really depends what kind of car you're looking for. I think people have this car misunderstood. I still wish it had a more robust EV system and also 15% cheaper. From a pricing standpoint it's surprisingly reminiscent of the Gen 1. The NC1 should to have a more premium interior and more "soft touch" options but that's probably not how everyone feels and is enough to buy the car given these minor limitations. I struggle with these as well as the overall design. It's tough for me to swallow knowing this is the last of Acura's beak treatment on such an expensive car. Why didn't they realize the beak was a mistake before they green lit the NC1 for production.

I've got my eye open for any good discounts on maybe 1-2yrs from now. I've got some fun left in my NA1 thank goodness.

Congrats on the purchase! I'm quite jealous!!!

Last edited:
bravo! after chatting with RYU and reading your review.. i also feel like i get the gist of what this car is and i'll take that. :) i'm sure i'll have one in the near future

bravo! after chatting with RYU and reading your review.. i also feel like i get the gist of what this car is and i'll take that. :) i'm sure i'll have one in the near future
Hopefully I haven't held you back! I like this car. The stars haven't aligned for me yet but I reckon the buy signal will show up sooner rather than later.

i agree.

more CF bits inside. surrounding the shift buttons (instead of alcantara), doors, etc. maybe [MENTION=8868]EuroBoutique[/MENTION] can fix that. :D
special key
folding mirrors

all should have been available.

i agree.

more CF bits inside. surrounding the shift buttons (instead of alcantara), doors, etc. maybe [MENTION=8868]EuroBoutique[/MENTION] can fix that. :D
special key
folding mirrors

all should have been available.

Currently we are offering a carbon fiber upgraded OEM steering wheel for the 2017 NSX and in development of some interior trim pieces. We have been approached by a few new NSX owners requesting specific products to be made so those will be released soon.

OP: Great review -we did a similar review with the new NSX and the Huracan

Coming from a recent Q/A session with the Lamborghini head, he mentioned people who buy their cars want to stand out and not flow under the radar. Driving a Lambo the car commands the crowds to behave around it and react unlike normal cars which get no reaction from surrounding people. We have also had good seat time in the new NSX and can attest the NSX 2.0 does similar things in a positive way.

here's our thread in the Off-Topic section regarding both cars, the notes are quite similar:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ur-new-Huracan-vs-the-NSX-1st-gen-and-2nd-gen

cheers!

Last edited:
I'm not surprised you like the car this much and liking it more day by day. It was the easiest to slip into and feel comfortable in when I first drove it. I suspect you'll have lots and lots of miles on it! In many ways they've really carried on the 1st gen's spirit in this regard.

Everytime I get asked if they should buy the new NSX, I always say.. it really depends what kind of car you're looking for. I think people have this car misunderstood. I still wish it had a more robust EV system and also 15% cheaper. From a pricing standpoint it's surprisingly reminiscent of the Gen 1. The NC1 should to have a more premium interior and more "soft touch" options but that's probably not how everyone feels and is enough to buy the car given these minor limitations. I struggle with these as well as the overall design. It's tough for me to swallow knowing this is the last of Acura's beak treatment on such an expensive car. Why didn't they realize the beak was a mistake before they green lit the NC1 for production.

I've got my eye open for any good discounts on maybe 1-2yrs from now. I've got some fun left in my NA1 thank goodness.

Congrats on the purchase! I'm quite jealous!!!

Recently one was listed for $24k off MSRP of $199k so prices are coming down but we feel for used models it will flatten around $130-140k and not move from there for at least a few years. A good car to use as a comparison is the Gen 2 Audi R8 - similar target market, similar performance and prices.

After driving the new NSX back to back with our Huracan mostly in city street driving, there are 4-5 things we feel the new NSX severely needs:

a) Lifter system - we are fully accustomed to driving lowered cars and even with extreme care, the nose of the NSX will scrape on many entrance ways and driveways which is very painful to hear especially if you are being rushed by traffic to make the turn unless you risk getting hit from behind by an impatience driver. With the Huracan, just hit the lifter switch 10 seconds before you approach and drive in with no drama. Not to mention it sure looks way cooler than scraping like a snail LOL

b) Folding mirrors - same reason as (a) as the mirrors really stick out quite a bit for parking in tight city spaces

c) Louder exhaust note - we heard the Pikes Peak TA1 race car with the 4" turbo back exhaust. That would never pass SMOG but Acura needs to have a Sport or even "Race" exhaust option for this car

d) Offer bespoke options for customization like carbon fiber, Alcantara, custom leather seat options. Acura is competing in a segment where McLaren has their MSO, Lambo offers a multitude of options and so does Ferrari. Buyers in this price point want OPTIONS OPTIONS OPTIONS. Acura needs to learn from Porsche how to create a base car and add options that can nearly add $50k to sticker price.

e) Better cup holder design (granted competitors don't really have good cup holders either)

Hope this helps owners who are on the fence about the new car!

EB staff

I'm trying to hold back my comments because I don't own the car. I will say... When I immediately got out of my aggressive 20min drive in one.. I immediately knew I didn't want one but could appreciate it's strengths. However, as time goes on i'm increasingly liking the car more and more in retrospect.

Nice and candid review. I'm warming up to the car. Unlike the first gen cars, it wasn't love at first sight for me. But the Gen 2 NSX does seem to grow on you, doesn't it?

Great post, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really wish Acura would have paid better attention to the market and put more polish on the ownership experience. Your statement "these are small details that count" hits the nail on the head. At that price point you need to dot all your i's and cross all your t's and missing some low hanging fruit like fit and finish is a really big mistake.

Attention- it get the good kind from other car enthusiast. Lambo gets the worst you rich asshole kind of attention.
In this hyper-critical environment of today, I'm seeing a some negativity against these cars. Some buyers might be questioning whether it is socially acceptable to flaunt big ticket items such as a flashy high-end automobile.
I wonder if this could start to impact sales on this class of cars?:frown:

In this hyper-critical environment of today, I'm seeing a some negativity against these cars. Some buyers might be questioning whether it is socially acceptable to flaunt big ticket items such as a flashy high-end automobile.
I wonder if this could start to impact sales on this class of cars?:frown:

These exotic cars in general are meant instill emotion when driving them. Flashy is the exact term these brands WANT. When you are talking about high end exclusive items, it is all about standing out and being noticed. If someone says they bought the car to be low key, they are simply lying. In business these cars make great marketing tools as it really controls the crowds and makes them feel excited too. If the product does not do this then it has failed.

Aside from cars just look at expensive watches, fancy shoes, name brand clothing or fine dining at places like French Laundry in Napa, CA. These places charge upwards of $1000+ for a 2 person meal. Why do people pay $$$$ when they can eat at McDonalds, same reason why people buy exotic cars.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxsupra View Post

We found the OP's comment especially amusing, maybe some truth to it but we have to ask what kind of attention does the McLaren get? :)

And Ferrari? or Pagani?

These exotic cars in general are meant instill emotion when driving them. Flashy is the exact term these brands WANT. When you are talking about high end exclusive items, it is all about standing out and being noticed. If someone says they bought the car to be low key, they are simply lying. In business these cars make great marketing tools as it really controls the crowds and makes them feel excited too. If the product does not do this then it has failed.

Aside from cars just look at expensive watches, fancy shoes, name brand clothing or fine dining at places like French Laundry in Napa, CA. These places charge upwards of $1000+ for a 2 person meal. Why do people pay $$$$ when they can eat at McDonalds, same reason why people buy exotic cars.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxsupra View Post

We found the OP's comment especially amusing, maybe some truth to it but we have to ask what kind of attention does the McLaren get? :)

And Ferrari? or Pagani?
Lol, everyone knows that "Flashy is the exact term these brands WANT"
The question still remains: Will the nouveau social environment we are currently in, cast a pall over Veblen goods going forward.
tick ... tock ⏰

The question still remains: Will the nouveau social environment we are currently in, cast a pall over Veblen goods going forward.
tick ... tock ⏰

The best answer is there is a time and place for everything :)

For example, car shows, weekend drives, etc are perfectly appropriate in our opinion

Driving one daily to work depending on your profession may not be suitable.

I don't bring mine to my apartment buildings as that might not be well received by my tenants.

I do drive it to work and folks love it.

tick ... tock ⏰
This gets to a difference I see between the NA1 and the NC1.
The NA1 wasn't a typical instance of a Veblen good. Honda/Acura
didn't have the luxury cachet to trade on. Instead the NA1 actually
offered value for the money. It had a higher price than any Japanese
automaker had ever asked in the USA but it wasn't overpriced.
People in the business--industry analysts, other manufacturers--were
uniformly impressed that Honda had the expertise to make that car
at that time for that price.

This time Acura is not just selling the (creditable) engineering
of the NC1, they are also trying to trade on the history of the
NA1/NA2. And they're hoping to find customers who don't mind
spending $30K for cosmetic options. Nothing wrong with that,
nice market if you can get it. I'm just noting the difference
compared to what Honda was selling in 1991.

The high-end watch market is varied. Yes a lot of people buy flashy
watches with a brand name everyone knows, but others spend just
as much if not more on watches that are not showy on the outside.

After driving the new nsx then jumping back into the first gen, I appreciated the engineering, speed, and ease of use in the new car. But, slipping back into the dated 90's car made me feel right at home with a manual transmission and the drama that comes with an older machine. I honestly thought I was going to jump back in my car feeling like I needed something new and on par to the engineering of the new car. I had no such thought. I just shrugged and said, "man that car is quick!". I also told myself, if I could afford such a toy it would be V10 powered. Not a V6 turbo. I also liked the interior more then I thought I would and the exterior less than I thought I did. I really disliked the huge air vents from the hood staring you in the face. A great car, just not my speed. I liked the stasis supercharged V10 Audi so much more. That is just my thoughts on it.

My friends, it's not my fault that the world value structure is in a state flux. I, myself, clearly have no axe to grind regarding exotic cars.:smile:
I just put in my 2¢ regarding the post: "Lambo gets the worst you rich asshole kind of attention."

The words of Robert Zimmerman - -
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly aging
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
Cause the times they are a-changing
⏰

Hi Rene,

First, welcome to the forum. And congratulation with you beautiful new NSX.
It is the first actual new NSX in my area (as in Europe, I am located in the Netherlands myself).

Enjoy your car !!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoy it Rene

The car looks so much better with the H badging

I love the night time delivery with the subtle lighting in the trailer

Back