• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gen1 NSX prices got you down?...go Gen1 Audi R8 V10 Manual

A couple years ago I unwillingly passed my NA2 NSX-T onto the owner of a local NSX body shop. It was a car I had decided to keep forever...until my habit of 2am driving + moist canyon roads got the better of said plan. Prior to our little encounter with a rail 2x...she was a 6-speed with spotless Hx and perfect PPI - $50k @ <50k miles. My other car at the time was a track prepped 3.8 GT3 - newer, way faster, louder, yet like an annoying girlfriend with too many quirks and impractical limitations...just not the kind you plan to stay with forever. Driving the NSX though was like being in a finely built jewel box, and it was a joy every time I got in it. Even being 13 years old, the NSX felt tight & nimble. Despite the kinda wimpy 290hp, it was plenty for my purposes of canyon carving between home and work. Even the annoyance of finding a capable mechanic - God bless Los Angeles - or tracking down hard-to-find parts was "worth it".

The problem came when replacing the car was now going to cost me $20K+ more than before. If I wanted an extremely low mileage example (the new plan), things were clearing $100k. I no longer had the GT3 (as planned), but I couldn't convince myself that the now inflated prices of a Gen1 NSX were justified. Last year, I started looking at potential alternatives...reliable, all-aluminum, open-top, mid-engine manual tranny cars = Gen1 R8 V10 Spyder. Got it in Spyder so I can hear the engine whirling behind me. Has a very mechanical sound somewhat like the NSX. Handling...better but very much like the NSX. Both cars give me the feeling of driving a finely constructed machine compared to other sports car (sub-$200k)...it must be the aluminum that makes the chasis feel different. Likelihood of spinning into the rails in the hands of an amateur like myself...hopefully less with the quattro system. Honestly, I hardly get to use the extra 200+ hp...but it's definitely nice to have.

Audi has stopped production of 3-pedal R8s with it's current generation. For NSX owners who enjoy the open top experience...the Spyder is the one to get. V10 in manual of course. Prices have now come down to near parity with a NA2 NSX of similar mileage (<10k miles). As for me, I just got back from work...same canyon road I've been driving for 20 years. Audi figured out how to let you hear the engine on a chilly night...the rear window rolls down with the top up. Honestly, I'd still be driving my NA2 NSX if it was an option. I would have replaced it if pricing had not gone through the roof. So if you can't swallow the current pricing, definitely look at the R8 V10 Spyder.

Last edited:
"My other car at the time was a track prepped 3.8 GT3 - newer, way faster, louder, yet like an annoying girlfriend with too many quirks and impractical limitations...just not the kind you plan to stay with forever."

Good report / perspective, and you certainly have a way with words ;^D

Is the V10 really worth the extra $$? My guess is that the V8 will do everything you would want the V10 to do for the kind of driving you would want out of a used R8. I haven't driven the V10 though, only a first gen V8 so I would be curious about your more educated view.

Thanks for the review. What year did you get? The prices don't look bad but I wonder at the cost of ownership and reliability of the car.

I would say it is worth it but I am biased. Don't know about the convertible as my engine sounds great windows up or down but that is the Larini exhaust. Essentially, round 180 more hp with a phenomenal V10. Also, there are some concerns about carbonization of the DI V8. Advantage of the hardtop is also no cowl shake and less body flex. Definitely feels heavier than the NSX. Dan, you can drive my R8 if you come to XPO. I am on the way. Also have another car which is very interesting.

Engine is GREAT. Absolutely no issues in the car. 2011 car owned by me since 2013. Concerned about transmission. There were issues with the R-Tronic and there are issues with the manual transmission - specifically the synchros. New transmission with clutch just cost me 22K. I was the second owner of my R8 but bought it with 6K miles, now with 28K miles-almost all highway. No abuse by me of the engine or transmission. Car is stock except for the exhaust. Car out of warranty. 3-4 upshift synchro went bad and they do not repair, replace only.

...the Spyder is the one to get. V10 in manual of course. Prices have now come down to near parity with a NA2 NSX of similar mileage (<10k miles).

Honestly, I'd still be driving my NA2 NSX if it was an option. I would have replaced it if pricing had not gone through the roof. So if you can't swallow the current pricing, definitely look at the R8 V10 Spyder.

So you're spending the same money you'd spend today on an NA2 but on something different in order to make it easier to swallow spending that much? If so, I honestly can't argue with you on that, I too would likely wrestle a good deal internally if forced to pay the 50%-60% more now than what I paid in 2013 to get an equivalent car I bought in 2013, just like it's human nature to sometimes not be able to get past Sunk Costs when trying to get out of a losing proposition. I can see where owning something different could help provide additional value to justify spending the same you would for a replacement NSX (if I read your post correctly). And definitely hopefully the R8 doesn't become ex-wife #2 from Germany/Italy after having forgone another shot at a 2nd "the One" from Japan. And hopefully you don't break down and try to reconcile with your crazy German ex-gf at some point. :)

Exactly - it's all highly emotional logic. You can also consider sunk cost before a divorce...but it ain't gonna change your mind:)

My V10 Spyder is a 2011 also Ibis White - bought with 3500 miles - I almost doubled the mileage since delivery in late Dec. I did not consider the V8 though am aware that some prefer the higher redline. In past experiences, the flagship model has served me well on depreciation so I didn't mind the extra capital commitment.

I also capped my low-probability but potentially catastrophic repairs with a 5 year, 60k, $250 deductible Audi platinum exclusionary policy for ~$4k. If anyone's had to replace a couple of failed components on their NSX, you'll know why I jumped at this.

Maintenance is expected to be in-line with other big engine Audis so not too different from NSX or P-car if you don't DIY. (I think dealer oil change ~$300).

jorligan can probably give a better idea on routine maintenance vs. NSX as he's had his for several years...damn, that's a nice stable!

So you're spending the same money you'd spend today on an NA2 but on something different in order to make it easier to swallow spending that much? If so, I honestly can't argue with you on that, I too would likely wrestle a good deal internally if forced to pay the 50%-60% more now than what I paid in 2013 to get an equivalent car I bought in 2013, just like it's human nature to sometimes not be able to get past Sunk Costs when trying to get out of a losing proposition. I can see where owning something different could help provide additional value to justify spending the same you would for a replacement NSX (if I read your post correctly). And definitely hopefully the R8 doesn't become ex-wife #2 from Germany/Italy after having forgone another shot at a 2nd "the One" from Japan. And hopefully you don't break down and try to reconcile with your crazy German ex-gf at some point. :)

Maintenance

Pretty much in line. Haven't had any maintenance issues except for the transmission. I do the routine maintenance myself, ie the annual oil change, brake flush, pads, etc. Haven't had to do any brake work except for fluid flush as I changed to ceramics immediately after I got the car. 1 set of tires which came with my aftermarket wheels but lots of tread left. Really no more cost than the NSX.

We've have a lot of experience with both the R8 and NSX (we build parts for both parts) so any questions welcome to ask!

Just one note about the "spyder" vs the coupe is that although the sound experience is better, if you are taller say 6'2+ you won't feel comfortable in the spyder because you lose roughly 2" of legroom to the firewall. It doesn't sound like much but it's enough to make you have to slouch to drive.

But we do agree the 2010+ v10 with the gated 6-speed shifter is the crown jewel! Try to pick one up with Audicare warranty as the magnetic ride shocks tend to leak for no reason!

Back