• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Experience with the NSX Whisperer in MD

I am finally getting back to writing this review. After purchasing my 1995 NSX in December 2016, a friend of mine who owns an NSX recommended Ben Shaffer, AKA The NSX Whisperer, in Woodbine, MD. I happened to be enjoying an unusual warm day drive in January and decided to locate and visit this guy since I was in the vicinity. I walked into the shop and introduced myself, and even though I had no intention of taking up his time since there were 3 or 4 other NSXs in his shop, Ben insisted, “BRING IT IN!’” Over the next 2 hours he proceeded to go over every inch of the car from top to bottom, showing me everything, including a very thorough inspection on the lift. I came to realize very quickly that I was witnessing something very special. He pulled out his little flashlight and was more or less talking to the car, with me as a mere witness, commenting on the overall good condition of the car, what previous maintenance had been missed or not completed properly and what needed to be done. I decided to keep my mouth closed and just listen and watch. I was grateful I had found him before I had naively assumed the car was fine and drove it with a couple pressing issues so clearly apparent. I drove it home that day and brought it back to Ben the following week. I was not in a big hurry since I wanted everything to be done right and I told Ben to treat it like it was his own car.
Over the next 2 months Ben and his crew took care of all the needed maintenance issues and repairs. It took time to R&R, locate and ship some of the parts, and other parts are increasingly difficult to obtain. Fortunately Ben is very well connected to all things NSX. Next to his family, it’s his absolute passion in life to keep these wonderful machines on the road.
Below are some of the important items he found that most mechanics might not even notice let alone repair. These are thing I would strongly urge other owners and NSX hunters to carefully examine:
I noticed the steering was “clunky” when sitting at a stop and steering left to right. The steering rack had to be sent out to an expert (see below) to be rebuilt since they are no longer available new for early years. A new one lists for over $6000 if you could even get it. The servo gear was missing teeth and was replaced with a bronze upgrade during the rebuild (Matt sent a video of the issue). The front lower control arm bushings were torn and replaced with an upgrade. The clutch master & slave cylinder was leaking and needed to be replaced. The climate control board was replaced. Fuel injectors were sent out to RC Engineering to do their magic. All coolant hoses were original and were replaced. Main EFI relay was replaced. New Red Top battery and new ground wires installed. Rear CV axles removed and leaking CV boots renewed. Some idjut had installed an aftermarket alarm system and butchered up the wiring under the dash, so that spaghetti was removed and completely renewed. The cam angle sensor was leaking sealant and was replaced. The water pump had been recently replaced and checked out OK but the timing belt was junk because the tensioner bearing had not been replaced at the same time and the lubricant was dry, and both were replaced. The cam seals and valve cover gaskets were replaced and a valve adjustment performed. The oil pan gasket and the oil drain plug gasket were leaking and were replaced. There were other less dramatic repairs that were also completed.
The car now runs absolutely flawlessly. I basically have a brand new 20 year old NSX that I can drive with confidence anywhere, anytime, thanks to Ben and his crew. I've attached photos of some of the repairs that were needed.
AJ

http://www.daisyimportauto.com/

Attachments

• IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 719
  • DSC05589.jpg
    DSC05589.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_3155.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 720
  • 20170119_123827.jpg
    20170119_123827.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 722
  • 20170119_123555.jpg
    20170119_123555.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_3190.jpg
    IMG_3190.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 721
  • NSX Whisperer2.jpg
    NSX Whisperer2.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
Ben is a great guy -- I didn't actually get a chance to bring my previous NSX to him due to scheduling issues, but you can tell he's got a passion for these cars.

Good stuff! It's always great to know an awesome mechanic for these cars and driving off with a fresh car feeling is what it's all about. I cannot wait to get my car back with a fresh engine.

I would recommend Ben to any NSX enthusiast/owner. He did wonderful work on my car 5 years ago. I recently developed a small issue and took the car to my local shop (I am in Michigan and Ben is in Maryland). I emailed Ben with the issue the local shop discovered. Ben took the time to call my shop and walk the guys there through the repair process and gave them recommendations. He even offered to ship them parts or tools if necessary. And he did all of this stuff at no charge to me. You don't find customer service like that very often. Anyone would be well served to go to his shop.

I was up at Ben's shop yesterday to finally get my car out of winter storage and have Ben give it a once over. (It's been a long winter around here.)
Anyway, The "NSX Whisperer" is a busy guy these days. He has hired 2 new mechanics and as you can see, he's doing his magic!

6 NSX's.jpg

haha or the secret Heinz collection..........

Stopped by to see The NSX Whisperer & Crew yesterday to investigate a little squeak in the front suspension. A very busy place. 3 NSXs on the lifts, and these various beauties in the pipeline or storage. He diagnosed my issue in minutes, assured me it was quite safe to drive, and the parts are ordered (which can take quite a while to receive.)
Thanks, Ben!

(Plates obscured to protect the innocent.)
IMG_6558b.jpg

Back