• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From the Facebook pages, my post on modifying NSX's

Someone asked I cross post this on the forum. I had posted this on the NSX owner's page.

I don't post much on this page but I know not everyone is on the owner's page. If you don't agree I respect that, just understand I'm sharing personal opinion and not looking to start arguments.
After 10 years of modifying, tracking, and de-modifying my NSX's I have a good idea of how I would do things again to make the NSX better. My end goal is to create a BETTER car, not a faster car. To enhance what the NSX does well already without taking away from it. This is hard to do but here is my list in order of importance:

1. Performance alignment specs. This is different than OEM spec especially later model cars. Do away with the shit specs that came in because pansies sued Honda.

2. A really good seat. I just can't say enough about what a great seat can do. While harder to get in and out of, I'd just give that all up for feeling so damn connected to the car.

3. Change the steering wheel to a light weight wheel. There's a reason the NSX-R has a momo wheel and it's isn't just to save weight on the car. It's feel, feedback, connection. Yes you lose the heavy ancient airbag so think carefully. I have a helmet on 90% of the time I'm driving my car. The OEM steering wheel is the single biggest piece of shit installed on the NSX. Go to an S2K wheel if you need an airbag.

4. Shorten the shift throw. R stalk, Dave's kit, R knob, however you do it. The "low effort" long throw knob is for your grandpa.
Now that I've enhanced my connection, I can go on to the car:

1. K&N filter, intake scoop. Just for the sound alone. Worth every penny. The NSX has a nasty induction noise way better than any exhaust you can install. Let it sing. It's $150.

2. KW V3 if on a budget, JRZ, Moton, if you have the resources and funds. It's WORTH IT. Even on a street car. This car can handle. Give it the tools to do it with. If KW's are too expensive then Bilsteins and springs. Please don't waste money on engine mods, useless chassis braces when you don't need them, carbon fiber, cosmetic stuff, and then skimp on your suspension. This is where money should go and everyone seems to skimp here like it doesn't matter because "I don't track my car".

3. Race pads on OEM brake system. Night and day difference in terms of bite and progressive grip. You transform the brakes with a cheap mod. Yes you have to clean the wheels more often. It's a trade I would make for the transformation.

4. Remove weight: Lithium battery, engine cover, spare and tools, B pillars, vents, clutch/flywheel combo, aluminum bumper beams, titanium exhaust, HFC cats, lexan hatch. Right there is 200 pounds. This translates to feel. Don't do it thinking you'll gain 0-60 or track time. A 2800 pound NSX feels different than a 3000 pound NSX. If you can do more, even better.

5. 6-speed conversion or gearing on a 5-speed car. The engine loves to rev and I love to shift. The car will feel so much more sprightly.

6. Non-compliance rear beam bushings, toe links, front clamps. While this is down the list, I think the better you can drive the NSX the more you'll start to appreciate these. Not necessary for a car not driven all that hard. Same with aftermarket chassis bracing. Don't put this stuff on a stock street car, but they are great if you've done the rest.

You're done. Yes I left the engine alone. If you want to properly enhance the engine, set aside $25,000. Starting with engine mods and not a seat and steering wheel is the wrong approach IMO. Enhanced engine for a very experienced driver only.

You now have a car that will make the OEM car feel fully lethargic and soft. You've inched your way much closer to an actual NSX-R which I'm certain is in a different universe than the feel of a regular NSX. You've enhanced what the car already does well. You get to see what a stiff aluminum chassis and a double wishbone suspension on a balanced car can do. You haven't tried to make the car something it isn't. Instead you have a raw, unfiltered, un-assisted, driver-centric car. Old school goodness.

Back