• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A mostly positive Dog DeMuro review

After 9 months, I find myself appreciating the new NSX more and more. It's a joy to drive slowly or quickly, in traffic or on the track. Always so composed. The suspension is a perfect compromise between comfort and performance (but I might get some much neg camber upfront to save on tire wear at track).

Unfortunately though, there really isn't that much to say about the car. The most interesting aspect - the hybrid drive train - doesn't seem to translate in to anything that notable on the road which is perhaps what is most damaging to the car. We all know that the engineers performed an ENORMOUS feat to put all of that hybrid magic in to a package that could stand up to the rigors of average consumer demands (in contrast to the million dollar hybrid super cars which would only see special usage) and yet all of that effort didn't translate in to a notable drive experience. It isn't something that WOWs you out of the gate and that makes it a tough sell. Consider that Doug didn't even mention the phrase "torque vectoring". Of course he also didn't seem to notice that the car weighs a ton and yet still dances nimbly through the corners like some sumo wrestler squeezed in to a ballerina's costume. Again, what is unsaid is what to me stands out. There was an incredible bit of engineering that went in to defying conventional performance and the magic is so good that everyone forgets that it is there and thus it has no value as a sales tool...

Hate to say it but i think you are correct. And pretty fair. I just think they may have gone to this tech about 5 years too EARLY. If this tech could have shown significantly better performance than a conventional drive train or alternatively MUCH broader range in driving modes while delivering superior fuel economy, then they would have truly built a better mouse trap. I mean it can't even keep up with a Tesla X P100D SUV! Where is the electric special sauce? I am beginning to believe that they went about 50% too light on the electric motors and battery and about 50% too heavy on the aluminum. The fact that "Quite" mode (S/B Stealth) can't run on electric only during acceleration and on the highway is a total buzz kill.

Haha. It's an NSX, not a Supra or GTR. It was never meant to have the best 0-60 or 1/4 mile. How many first gen owners out here based their buy on the 0-60 for the first gen???

Haha. It's an NSX, not a Supra or GTR. It was never meant to have the best 0-60 or 1/4 mile. How many first gen owners out here based their buy on the 0-60 for the first gen???

But the gen 2 does not corner or have superior handling compared to comparable costs. I find it comical that we are still in these discussions. The new gen is just a 200k dollar mdx in my opinion and is definitely worth the price of a gtr but nowhere close to the price of a 911 turbo s or 570. It reminded me of the new roller coaster at the theme park that had all new technology. It's new, people bought into the hype, then lost interest. The first gen is and will continue to be the old rickety wooden coaster at the park that scares people and creates excitement when driven hard. Sorry, the gen 2 just does not do this in any way, shape, or form. Driven it. Glad I did, cool car, not my speed.

But the gen 2 does not corner or have superior handling compared to comparable costs. I find it comical that we are still in these discussions. The new gen is just a 200k dollar mdx in my opinion and is definitely worth the price of a gtr but nowhere close to the price of a 911 turbo s or 570. It reminded me of the new roller coaster at the theme park that had all new technology. It's new, people bought into the hype, then lost interest. The first gen is and will continue to be the old rickety wooden coaster at the park that scares people and creates excitement when driven hard. Sorry, the gen 2 just does not do this in any way, shape, or form. Driven it. Glad I did, cool car, not my speed.

Neither does the gen 1 compared to the Supra or GTR.

A few things I disagree with when it comes to the NSX.....

1. The price 🙅*♂️not worth it I don't care what planet your on.
2. Hybrid is a joke waste of r&d they didn't need a back to the future ride this early in the game.
3. The weight
4. The dealerships got too cocky with the extreme carbon options (way over priced)
5. The line up is a joke theres the NSX then what before or after that the Civic Type R when it comes to Honda/Acura as a whole? 🤷🏾*♂️
6. No none hybrid option
7. Color selection boring I would have been happy with the old colors at least since there is no connection between the na1 models.
10. NO MANUAL OPTION!
11. NO MANUAL OPTION!!

To say the least if you spent any time of your life in the 90s and seen Honda change the game and provide a choice for people who wanted more at an "Affordable" price point and be ahead of the competition while at the same time reliable! I wont call the car a flop but it missed the mark and the audience thats helped build the brand all these years. I know its not 1991 and The iPhone 32 coming out soon but some of use simply aren't ready for hybrid hell we just starting to manipulate the can-bus systems now we jumping to 250k hybrid cars from Honda damn has time flew...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the rest of the Acura line up is a joke

Some of the problem is that they spent resources on the NSX instead of building a RWD sedan and or SUV.

Same story at Lexus, except in bigger scale, doing the LFA robbed them of need resources to update their drive trains. We still have the nice but way behind 3.5L V6 from 2005 being used.

I have watched a few of this vlogger's videos (especially liked the one where his clutch couldn't do the job at the drag strip).
I believe he is a serviceman and I appreciate his service.
He is a full on Vette Guy and doesn't seek to provide fair balance.
I am glad he has a vehicle he likes, but that doesn't mean his dollar value oriented approach carries the day for the NSX consumer.

How bout that new TLX A spec boasting a high power 290 hp V6? Saying it shares tech from the nsx. :biggrin: What a luxurious product! Really Acura???? Really????
They're so far behind the competition in luxury cars it is staggering....

Hate to say it but i think you are correct. And pretty fair. I just think they may have gone to this tech about 5 years too EARLY. If this tech could have shown significantly better performance than a conventional drive train or alternatively MUCH broader range in driving modes while delivering superior fuel economy, then they would have truly built a better mouse trap. I mean it can't even keep up with a Tesla X P100D SUV! Where is the electric special sauce? I am beginning to believe that they went about 50% too light on the electric motors and battery and about 50% too heavy on the aluminum. The fact that "Quite" mode (S/B Stealth) can't run on electric only during acceleration and on the highway is a total buzz kill.

See, I'd go the opposite route. :) Put on a bigger turbo so the gas engine produced 600+ hp, and scale back the battery capacity. Then tune the electric delivery to only be useful for mitigating the increased lag from the turbo, so the overall power delivery is absolutely level throughout the rev range of the gas engine - the battery pack wouldn't need as much capacity since it's supplying power under more restricted circumstances. Then ditch the direct drive motor between the engine and transmission, but retain the TMU up front for regen braking and torque vectoring (which I'd program to operate under any cornering situations, not just when torque fill is needed.) I've no idea what sort of battery pack that would require, but if Honda could get this theoretical 600+ HP NSX down to 3100 lbs, I think it'd be an amazing performer. The car wouldn't have a quiet/stealth mode since there wouldn't be enough juice to drive on electric only, but that's okay IMO. In city driving the TMU would supply just enough oomph from a standstill to give a smooth auto start/stop action with the gas engine, and to reuse energy gained through regenerative braking, so that city MPG is benefitted.

silly and entertaining. a wee bit harsh, but more people would agree with him than not (in the real world)...
Absolutely true, majority of general public are clueless, including that corvette guy. I watch a lot of his videos because of the click bait and most his videos are somewhat funny and entertaining. Doug is clueless a lot of time as well, but doesn't matter, his videos are entertaining. For example his Civic Type R review is a joke.

I get a lot of attention driving my other cars, but NSX bring a lot more positive feedback from enthusiasts and random people. A cop even asked me to stop yesterday to check out the car. He said it is first NSX he seen and said I can't leave yet, it just looks so amazing. I was kinda surprised that he know what it is.

NSX use same technology as P1, Laferrari, 918. If that doesn't excite you, you are not a car enthusiast. The harsh reality is just that not many can afford $160~$200k Acura, those who can, simply going to go for the badge first. Had NSX came out without hybrid, I see virtually 0 selling point unless it is absolutely supercar slayer like GTR back in 09.

Without hybrid there is even less of reason to go for it over other exotic car brands, and the same group of people who can't or unwilling to shell out this kinda money for an Acura will still find reasons to dislike it. The time also has changed. Exotic cars are simply way more reliable now if not virtually bulletproof reliable. Price it like a 570S, Turbo S, Huracan LP-580-2, simply not gonna do well. At best it might achieve R8 level of sales. Not to mention there are also AMG GTS at lower price point even that doesn't have that great of sales figure.

Back in 90s there there were no R8, lower level Lambo, lower level McLaren. Exotics wasn't as reliable as they are today. Now competition is fierce in used exotic market: gallardo, F430, GTR, dozen Porsches, R8, MP4-12C, etc. Higher end car market is also several times greater than what it was during the 90s in terms of production number, availability, etc.

As far as giving impression after a test drive, it doesn't get more silly than that. To truly get a feel of a car, you will need put drive it for 500 to 1k miles or at least spend a few days with it. My initial impression after first test drive was disappointment, wasn't familiar with the car or its characteristics and the 570s really spoiled me. But after I drove it home and took it out again to explore more about the car. Absolutely amazed by what Acura has achieved with this car.

How bout that new TLX A spec boasting a high power 290 hp V6? Saying it shares tech from the nsx. :biggrin: What a luxurious product! Really Acura???? Really????
They're so far behind the competition in luxury cars it is staggering....

Actually...saying this as a new A-Spec lessee....it's a step in the right direction for Acura's more plebeian cars. Interior much improved from before. Tranny programming changed to make it more engaging. Suspension pretty solid. I'd say Acura is finally starting to wake up. No, it doesn't have NSX tech....but it's a solid car that is a great improvement over the old TLX. I think the car is the first evidence that Ikeda is trying to exert some influence over product. Yes, it could have used even another 20-50 hp, but it's a fairly engaging ride for a DD-type luxury car.

The Key hole could be under the lever and that has been done by others. The GT-R for example has has a simiar flush lever, which when pulled out reveals the hidden key hole it hides. I'm guess the door opening linkages vs geometry may be an issue. Or maybe the electric assist pop out is an interference. But those are things the designers and engineers should be able to work out.

realistically, what else can you do with the keyhole? you cant hide it like the trunk keyhole.

After 9 months, I find myself appreciating the new NSX more and more. It's a joy to drive slowly or quickly, in traffic or on the track. Always so composed. The suspension is a perfect compromise between comfort and performance (but I might get some much neg camber upfront to save on tire wear at track).

Well Put Chrisn! ... as often is the case.
I could not agree with your assessment more. You really need to spend a lot of seat time under assorted conditions and roads to truly realize what it is... what it can do, and many times so effortlessly. I don't think anyone can really asses the car for what it is w/o significant exposure (time and miles) under mixed conditions.

I attended Northeast NSXCA River Run (my 1'st) last weekend. That required almost 200 miles of driving just to get to the start/meeting point. Those were mostly highway and mostly in rain (light , medium, and very heavy) along with mixed traffic conditions. I applied RainX before leaving and never used the wipers. Driving was very enjoyable and I did most in Quiet. When conditions ahead suggested I might want more response, I switched to Sport with flick of the wrist and eventually went back to Quiet.
As for the actual River Run it was a Blast of a good (Bulk) portion of "Spirited" driving on some really interesting roads of mixed variety. No it wasn't like a track, but something very enjoyable. A real Hoot! I did 90% of that in Sport + else Sport.
I have to say as I almost effortlessly enjoyed the pace I could drive, I also really appreciated what all the others in Gen 1's were doing. (I had the only Gen2 there.) I was trying to image their experience in a lighter and more nimble feeling car. Regardless I was having a blast while also being quite comfortable. Sometimes I'd be listening to tunes, and others to the engine. Being a pretty long duration (~100 miles, though it seemed to pass quickly) I was enjoying the sound in Sport + and Glad it wasn't excessively louder plus that there was no annoying resonance drone killing my head or ears.

After the event a few of us caravaned back East on highways, while having an occasional bit of fun with each other. Regular Sport mode was fine for most of that. As time passed we'd split and whittled down to to just 2 cars. It was great day with a bunch of great people. The ride home of ~250 miles was not fatiguing in any sense. (Love those seats and the ride). Once home I had a great smile and inner feeling of how much more I now appreciate the discussion to put down a deposit 3 1/2 years in advance to buy this unknown I thought would be special. And it is Very Special. It may not be what others want nor perfect, But it is for me.

On Sunday I washed the Gen2, then the bride and I took a Qality time break. We ventured out in the '02 to see some sites and get lunch were the plan. I decided to take some nice roads along the way. I was a bit concerned I'd be doing an A/B comparison in my head and have a reduced attitude toward the Gen 1 after the day before. NFW. I enjoyed the '02 about as much as the '17. But in different ways and/or for totally different reasons/feelings. They are totally different cars, but Both are great ones which suit me fine. Neither are perfect for many, and they don't need to be. But for some of the negative comments on the Gen 2 by those who had little or no seat time, it's OK. You just did not have enough time and exposure to understand/get it. Or maybe it really isn't for you. (Thats' why it's good to have choices of alternatives) For some others, it is.
So let's see if some can cut down the excessive negatives just because they feel everything should be their (imagined) way, or at least wait till they have put several hundred mixed miles on one to put things in proper perspective.

I'm confident this car will improve with time and tweaks. We'll see. Till then, I'm glad Acura Stuck to its mission to get it right vs right away for release... inspite of the delay anguish it caused.

In closing, where else can you drive 4 (though I've only played with 3) quite noticeably different cars (pending your mood, desires, or surrounding conditions) with a simple wrist twist (on the fly no less) while never stopping and getting out to change your (very good) seat?!

OK
I'm off the TMI soap box

Last edited:
Actually...saying this as a new A-Spec lessee....it's a step in the right direction for Acura's more plebeian cars. Interior much improved from before. Tranny programming changed to make it more engaging. Suspension pretty solid. I'd say Acura is finally starting to wake up. No, it doesn't have NSX tech....but it's a solid car that is a great improvement over the old TLX. I think the car is the first evidence that Ikeda is trying to exert some influence over product. Yes, it could have used even another 20-50 hp, but it's a fairly engaging ride for a DD-type luxury car.

I can appreciate very little of the updated styling and it does sound as though the suspension and drivetrain is engaging. But I am sorry, there is nothing luxury about a 4 cylinder or let alone a V6. Our cars had close to 270-290 crank hp decades ago. This is not moving forward in my opinion it is the complete opposite. This is a continuation of dropping cookie cutter motors into wildly styled Honda's and calling it luxury. Just my opinion. There's nothing luxurious about it.

Absolutely true, majority of general public are clueless, including that corvette guy. I watch a lot of his videos because of the click bait and most his videos are somewhat funny and entertaining. Doug is clueless a lot of time as well, but doesn't matter, his videos are entertaining. For example his Civic Type R review is a joke.

they're both a bit goofy, but they do raise valid points and are pretty entertaining...

I get a lot of attention driving my other cars, but NSX bring a lot more positive feedback from enthusiasts and random people. A cop even asked me to stop yesterday to check out the car. He said it is first NSX he seen and said I can't leave yet, it just looks so amazing. I was kinda surprised that he know what it is.

NSX use same technology as P1, Laferrari, 918. If that doesn't excite you, you are not a car enthusiast. The harsh reality is just that not many can afford $160~$200k Acura, those who can, simply going to go for the badge first. Had NSX came out without hybrid, I see virtually 0 selling point unless it is absolutely supercar slayer like GTR back in 09.

Without hybrid there is even less of reason to go for it over other exotic car brands, and the same group of people who can't or unwilling to shell out this kinda money for an Acura will still find reasons to dislike it. The time also has changed. Exotic cars are simply way more reliable now if not virtually bulletproof reliable. Price it like a 570S, Turbo S, Huracan LP-580-2, simply not gonna do well. At best it might achieve R8 level of sales. Not to mention there are also AMG GTS at lower price point even that doesn't have that great of sales figure.

you make some great and valid points there, i completely agree with some of what you're saying. you're right about the Hypercar technology situation. the 918, P1 and LaFerrari are massively respected by enthusiasts and teenage boys alike. you would think the NSX would be heralded for it's application of virtually identical technology for a fraction of the cost.

i think the problem is that the NSX doesn't perform like all of its high tech would suggest, or as Honda alluded to. when a decade old GTR spanks it in a straight line and around a race track, along with a long list of other petrol driven Supercars, what was the point of all the fanciness? i think that's the main reason for the lack of interest and respect for the car. it's a performance car, performance is the criteria on which it will be judged above all else.

i've driven the NSX, on the street and on the track. several times now. it's a very nice car, i like it. it's a lot of fun on the track too. if you've never driven a Ferrari, or 570S, you'd never be left wanting for more. but numbers sell cars like these, that's just a fact. 99% of buyers of Supercars won't ever get to 50% of these car's potential, but they'll still want bragging rights at Sunday's car meet.

and let's face it, a 570S or any kind of Ferrari is a lot more exciting than a Honda. if Honda was going to try and compete in this category, they needed to do as you said and knock it out of the park, make a Supercar slayer. i don't think how they did it would have been nearly as important as if they did it...

I guess this is why it's the NSX 2.0 and not GTR, the affordable Supercar-killer that compromises other factors to be the fastest performer.

But I agree, it would be good to have bragging rights and say it's faster than the GTR, even if Porsche is the only one that seems to care because Ferrari doesn't...

i think the problem is that the NSX doesn't perform like all of its high tech would suggest, or as Honda alluded to. when a decade old GTR spanks it in a straight line and around a race track, along with a long list of other petrol driven Supercars, what was the point of all the fanciness? i think that's the main reason for the lack of interest and respect for the car. it's a performance car, performance is the criteria on which it will be judged above all else.

i've driven the NSX, on the street and on the track. several times now. it's a very nice car, i like it. it's a lot of fun on the track too. if you've never driven a Ferrari, or 570S, you'd never be left wanting for more. but numbers sell cars like these, that's just a fact. 99% of buyers of Supercars won't ever get to 50% of these car's potential, but they'll still want bragging rights at Sunday's car meet.

and let's face it, a 570S or any kind of Ferrari is a lot more exciting than a Honda. if Honda was going to try and compete in this category, they needed to do as you said and knock it out of the park, make a Supercar slayer. i don't think how they did it would have been nearly as important as if they did it...

Pinch me I'm dreaming. I agree with every word you just wrote. lol.

It may have the sublime excellence nailed but most people don't have the time for sublime. The good news is there is room to grow this car.

Now the question is, will they take a page out of Nissan's playbook and have the courage to add a little more spice for 2018????

I have provided intel previously that the 2018 model will not have any changes, sorry.

I just got my car back from having a cut tire (road hazard) replacement (wheel and tire policy pays off). The guy that runs the service department test drove mine to see if he could experience the door/window/external mirror vibration most owners are having (but could not).

He said he has driven a handful of these cars and there is some variation in them. He said my blow off valve sound is much livelier than any of the others (my car has more miles, about 3300) and the car gets better with time as the learning module gather info about how the driver drives.

He also said that one of their customers has owned a Veyron and prefers the NSX.

I just got my car back from having a cut tire (road hazard) replacement (wheel and tire policy pays off). The guy that runs the service department test drove mine to see if he could experience the door/window/external mirror vibration most owners are having (but could not).
Sounds like the tire failure didn't hurt you or the car--good to hear it wasn't worse.
Was the cut tire drivable? Did you use the sealant kit?

Just a sidewall cut, no driving issues.

No need for the sealant.

I noticed it when I got home from a drive last week.

Chicago road hazards.

I never purchased a wheel/tire protection package before but with this car the $1500 for 5 years seemed reasonable.

The claim to the provider for this will be $440. No out of pocket for me.

Totally agree. Honda's seeming refusal to "play the game," looks a bit naive and arrogant in retrospect. I have no regrets about the NSX, but regret that it was marketed by Acura/Honda. It feels like the engineers call the shots there, which is great in some respects but not in others. Perhaps they should have added 100 *MORE* pounds of battery and electrics to enable it to smoke some competition in the 0-60 metric (at the regrettable cost of being a bit slower car around the track). And/or they could have held the line on MSRP-creep and offered a stripped-down base car at $139,999 to clearly signal that is should not be cross shopped with the 570S (for example).

Back