• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trunk Misalignment

The driver’s side trunk corner nearest the glass is raised about 3/8in. It is fine towards the rear wing and on the passenger’s side. I searched and found someone who had the opposite problem – theirs was too low in that same spot.
I received the car in March of this year, and I did not see this on any of the pictures the seller took in January. But right before he sold the car, he sent the trunk and glass hatch struts off to be rebuilt, and he installed them right before he shipped the car. He noted that they were very strong since the rebuild. After I received the car, the c-clips that hold the trunk struts kept popping off when I would open and close the trunk. I asked the seller about it, and he said since those struts were not on the car when it was inspected, and he didn't realize they were aftermarket struts, he would buy me some OEM trunk struts and send them to me (which is way above and beyond!). So, I replaced the struts, c-clips, ball studs, and rubber trunk stoppers, and it is still raised. I am wondering if the high pressure from the rebuilt struts warped the trunk out of alignment. I also notice with the OEM struts, when I pop open the trunk, the trunk lid does not spring open high enough to get my fingers under the trunk lid to lift it; I have to use the underside of the spoiler. It sprang open with the rebuilt struts. Any thoughts? Thanks.

sorry about the low-quality/low-light pics
IMG_20170523_213155299 (2).jpg

IMG_20170523_213301852.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say the trunk was closed with a little too much stuff in it. It's not a serious fix.

Last edited:
Looks like the trunk is not aligned properly. What I like to do is loosen the two bolts on each hinge on the chassis, disconnect the trunk struts, and carefully line up the trunk. Then once aligned, you tighten it all back down. You can also adjust the plastic rear vent to prevent contact with the trunk when trying to align it. For reference though, 100% of nsx owners open the trunk from the spoiler. Then you carefully push down on the trunk not the spoiler until it latches.

^You must not bite your fingernails. Lol.

Also check the seal that goes around the entire trunk. I have seen this not seated properly and be high enough to cause this......

Last edited:
This started for me (but for the passenger side), after I replaced the worn out factory struts. If I push down on the passenger side after closing the trunk, its perfectly aligned. It's almost like the struts are too strong and push up a bit when closing. Its almost become habit to push down on the passenger side after closing the trunk, haha.

This started for me (but for the passenger side), after I replaced the worn out factory struts. If I push down on the passenger side after closing the trunk, its perfectly aligned. It's almost like the struts are too strong and push up a bit when closing. Its almost become habit to push down on the passenger side after closing the trunk, haha.

Did you use OEM struts or aftermarket? I typically use OEM struts and I have to say after doing this on probably over 100 cars, never had this issue..

Last edited:
Same problem for me but on the passenger side. It usually pops up like that after I've opened my trunk but a simple push at the edge brings it right back down. I'm not sure if it has to do with the struts. I had blown struts and recently installed new OEM struts. Still was the same. It might have to do something with the hinge, my guess.

Back