• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do I get misinformation off of an AutoCheck Report

I recently posted my 1991 NSX on eBay Motors (this week). I put the starting bid well below what it should be selling for and after a few days I saw over 200 views, but 3 watchers and no bids. I looked at my ad again and noticed the AutoCheck showing an accident in 2005. Well, the car has been in my family since 2003 and I know it hasn't been in an accident during that time. It was added by an employee at a dealership that wanted the car cheap.

Backstory:
In 2008, my aunt took the car to one of the two dealership in my town for service. Mysteriously, later that day the service manager told her that he ran a Carfax report (why) and it showed an accident and the car had been totaled and restored in 2005. He offered to "Take it off her hands" for $8000 since it was an unsafe car and he could use it for parts (he was restoring an NSX at the time). I guess he didn't know she'd owned that car since 2003. I won't post her response, but it wasn't nice. The Carfax and AutoCheck were clear when she bought the car. She went to the other Acura dealership and they fixed the Carfax report for her. They knew what was going on. they didn't know at the time AutoCheck was also impacted. Now I have an AutoCheck to fix.

Has anyone ever been able to fix an AutoCheck false report? If so, how? And how long did it take?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

From what I've been told, correcting an Autocheck history report isn't easy, but it's not impossible. You'll actually have to contact them (telephonically, I believe) to begin the process. Having said that, every instance I've ever heard of anyone attempting to fix an Autocheck history report were for problems with incorrect miles reported causing an odometer rollback flag, not accident data. The challenge as I see it will be convincing someone over the phone that your car wasn't in an accident. Out of curiosity, does Carfax also show accident data? I wish you luck. Please let us know how it goes.

From what I've been told, correcting an Autocheck history report isn't easy, but it's not impossible. You'll actually have to contact them (telephonically, I believe) to begin the process. Having said that, every instance I've ever heard of anyone attempting to fix an Autocheck history report were for problems with incorrect miles reported causing an odometer rollback flag, not accident data. The challenge as I see it will be convincing someone over the phone that your car wasn't in an accident. Out of curiosity, does Carfax also show accident data? I wish you luck. Please let us know how it goes.

Yes, it was on Carfax. But when I went to the other Acura Dealership and explained what happened, they could see that is was false info and had I thought removed. Now the carfax is clean. I'm in talks with the AutoCheck folks now, so hopefully we can get this resolved. Thanks for your advice.

Perhaps you (or your aunt) could go back to this dealer and have them fix the AutoCheck as well?

I called the dealer and he remembered the event. However, that dealership does not have a relationship with AutoCheck. I'm talking with the AutoCheck folks now, so hopefully this will get resolved. There's nothing like trying to sell a 1991 NSX with 20k miles and a false AutoCheck accident shows up and kills the whole auction.

I've never heard of this particular type of fraud. How is it that the shop that put the fake infomation on is not cited, or legal action initiated? What you are reporting is a crime, is it not, and should have been reported to the dealership franchise authority in the involved state? In my state, that's reportable information.

This is honstly a bit frightening and shakes whatever *small* amount of faith I had in Carfax/Autocheck.

Back