• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Strange noise

Hello,

Each time just after starting the engine (cold start) and drive for a few meters with my NSX (NA1) a sound appears for a few seconds. It is a vibrating sound of a system. It is like the car is checking or adjusting a valve or something like that. After a few seconds the sound disappears again.
Today the same sound appeared for the first time during driving and it was not going away. I stopped the engine and started again but the sound was still there. The performance of the engine is still OK. Same power and no signs were lighted up on the dashboard. Does anyone have an idea of where the sound is coming from??

Hopefully someone can tell me more or had the same issue.

Greetings,
Steven.

Hello again,

I just checked another article on NSX prime and they were talking about the similar vibrating sound. "People have variously described this noise as "a loud grinding noise," or sounding like "a machine gun" or "a fan hitting something." A possible cause can be the ALB-system. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks,
Greetings,
Steven.

sounds exactly like the symptoms of the ABS. try the hard braking procedure mentioned above.

on a side note, i always thought it was odd that this system is referred to as "ALB" instead of ABS. lol

+1. Sounds exactly like the ABS accumulator pump. Very annoying...and a common issue.

The model year of the car would be a useful piece of information if you are going to seek advice on problems. Early versions of the NSX have an ABS system which is subject to problems. Your noise is unlikely to originate from the ABS system if your car is 2000 or later. It would also be useful if you could identify the approximate location of the noise. ABS related noises should be coming from the front of the car.

Hello guys,

Thanks very much for your input so far. I will try the hard breaking (stomping) method this weekend. I will let you know what the result is. Indeed the sound is like a rapid chirping sound, coming from the front of the car and only when I drive?

See you

The model year of the car would be a useful piece of information if you are going to seek advice on problems. Early versions of the NSX have an ABS system which is subject to problems. Your noise is unlikely to originate from the ABS system if your car is 2000 or later. It would also be useful if you could identify the approximate location of the noise. ABS related noises should be coming from the front of the car.

he is likely from Europe due to his affinity for the meter....

he is likely from Europe due to his affinity for the meter....

Perhaps; but, officially anywhere in the rest of the world except for the US, Myanmar and Liberia (you are keeping interesting company!). Officially I think England is metric; but, they seem to be half in and half out like Canada except here the metric / imperial division is more along age. Once all the old guys shuffle off we will be fully metric.

That would be a problem....to most americans the "meter" is around the side of the house....:wink:

Hello guys,

Thanks very much for your input so far. I will try the hard breaking (stomping) method this weekend. I will let you know what the result is. Indeed the sound is like a rapid chirping sound, coming from the front of the car and only when I drive?

See you

Just know you really have to stomp it hard to almost lock the brakes and activate the ABS- imagine someone just stepped in front of you.

Well noticed! I'm from Europe (Belgium). Now you understand why I'm talking about "meters".
What I remember is : stomping hard to lock the brakes.

Greetings,
Steven.

Back