• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering Clicking

Hey all,

Went for a drive on the weekend and noticed while stationary, there was a clicking feeling when moving left or right from when the steering wheel is centred. Felt a little loose too.

Dreaded steering rack EPS issue?

'93 done under 85,000kms.

Hey all,

Went for a drive on the weekend and noticed while stationary, there was a clicking feeling when moving left or right from when the steering wheel is centred. Felt a little loose too.

Dreaded steering rack EPS issue?

'93 done under 85,000kms.

If it was a manual rack i have a fix for it unfortunately the EPS is alot more complicated.

Michael,

You have a couple of options, you could send your rack to America - see the thread below:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/167677-EPS-Rack

There is also a second hand one available on ebay, which does suggest they could get it rebuilt. I wasn't aware anybody in Australia could do this, but it might be worth asking 👍

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Ns...945147?hash=item1a2cb0f87b:g:8OwAAOSwhQhY15yx

Cheers,

David

Hey David, if we find someone, let's do a 2 for 1 deal!? :)

Hello, That's my EPS rack on ebay. I have rebuilt the EPS rack in my car which had a knocking noise when going over bumps. I was able press the old bush out which is quite small and machine a self-lubricating bush in the end which I made longer, eliminating the knock. I stripped the rack cleaning the brushes, cleaning and inspecting the components before assembling and torquing to specs. I havent had any issues to date with the rack. If you have any questions happy to answer them.

Regards Brendan

Hello, That's my EPS rack on ebay. I have rebuilt the EPS rack in my car which had a knocking noise when going over bumps. I was able press the old bush out which is quite small and machine a self-lubricating bush in the end which I made longer, eliminating the knock. I stripped the rack cleaning the brushes, cleaning and inspecting the components before assembling and torquing to specs. I havent had any issues to date with the rack. If you have any questions happy to answer them.

Regards Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I think the knock in the steering rack occurs when you turn the wheel from side to side as opposed to when you are going over bumps. I am not too sure if your fix would resolve the issue Michael has with his rack, but I would be interested in your thoughts? If you do think the modifications you have made would fix it, is this something you would be prepared to do and if so, roughly how much would it cost?

I should add, please feel free to call me on 0413 832 098.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

The bush i replaced eliminates knocking noises when going over bumps or right turns (fully extended). The first thing I would inspect, would be to torque the guide screw. Loosen two times and retighten to 4Nm then back it off 20 degrees and tighten the lock nut to 20Nm. This puts pressure on the steering rack pinion. If it is too loose you will have excessive steering wheel free play. This is possibly where the clicking feeling is coming from.

Regards Brendan

Last edited:
Had another play over the weekend.

It doesn't 'click' only from centre. If I turn the steering wheel either left or right (no matter how much) and the turn the other way, the 'click' happens. I don't have as much free play as I first thought

If I do this when the car is turned off, I can hear more than a click, more like a clunk.

It's due for a service, will see what Honda says.

Hi David,

The bush i replaced eliminates knocking noises when going over bumps or right turns (fully extended). The first thing I would inspect, would be to torque the guide screw. Loosen two times and retighten to 4Nm then back it off 20 degrees and tighten the lock nut to 20Nm. This puts pressure on the steering rack pinion. If it is too loose you will have excessive steering wheel free play. This is possibly where the clicking feeling is coming from.

Regards Brendan

Thanks Brendan,

I will let Michael try and fix his, assuming he is getting Honda to have a look at it. Mine is still pretty good, but I suspect I will need to get it done at some point, so I do appreciate your advice above. I actually wasn't aware that they were adjustable at all, which I am sure will be a big help for Michael if he is taking it to Honda!!!

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Regards Brendan

Thanks Brendan for the advice, totally missed your post!!! :)

What was the diagnosis of your issue,
Mines currently doing the same at the moment..

Brought it into Honda for a service a couple of weeks back and got them to have a look at the issue.

Confirmed it is the rack.....more to do with the 'motor' than mechanical. But a $13K replacement. Was not a surprise as I remember reading it was $12K a couple of years back.

It's not too bad.....so either live with it or send it over to the states. Gotta look up how hard it is for me to remove myself.

Brought it into Honda for a service a couple of weeks back and got them to have a look at the issue.

Confirmed it is the rack.....more to do with the 'motor' than mechanical. But a $13K replacement. Was not a surprise as I remember reading it was $12K a couple of years back.

It's not too bad.....so either live with it or send it over to the states. Gotta look up how hard it is for me to remove myself.

I don't think it is a big job, but just means the car will not be able to be moved until the rack is back in, which might take 3-4-weeks by the time you send it, have it fixed and returned.

I don't think it is a big job, but just means the car will not be able to be moved until the rack is back in, which might take 3-4-weeks by the time you send it, have it fixed and returned.

Will look into it. The steering doesn't feel as good as it use to. :( When are you thinking of fixing yours?

Just in case you haven't seen this in Japan. Brand new EPS rack for $4320 + fees and shipping.

http://www.jauce.com/auction/k242708485

Would be good to get a new one but the EPS refresh service makes me think it's even better then the original design? With the brass cogs... The age of this new one could be quite old and as I understand, it's not the kms that makes the rack break down, it's the age?

Last edited:
Will look into it. The steering doesn't feel as good as it use to. :( When are you thinking of fixing yours?

Would be good to get a new one but the EPS refresh service makes me think it's even better then the original design? With the brass cogs... The age of this new one could be quite old and as I understand, it's not the kms that makes the rack break down, it's the age?

Michael,

Mine is still pretty good, but as I mentioned, I wish I had swapped the refurbished one back into my white car, rather than put it back in the black one!!!

I have fantastic news. My clicking is now gone!!!

My mate who builds cars came to my rescue. Taking out the rack was ok. It took some time to follow the instructions in the service manual. The hardest part was dropping the rack even though I had loosened the steering joint bolts.

It took my mate around 10 mins to diagnosed the issue. There's two metal rings with rubber inserts in the recirculating ball screw.

In the first picture below, you can see cross-linked rubber inside metal rings. The rubbers were crumbly and explained why I suddenly experienced the issue.

He made some new solid brass inserts as you can see in the second picture. I put the rack back on.......took a bit of time......two jacks......and really sore arms/muscles. :)

I took it out for a drive just now and the turning now has instantaneous response!

He's happy to provide a service and an alternative to d1guy in the states. He's not offering a complete service like d1guy. But if you had a similar issue to me, you don't have to send it off to the states. ;)

20170930_212139 (Large).jpgIMG_5158 (Large).jpg

Hi, just doing a full rebuild of my spare rack atm as a project. Who did you get to make the Bush?

Are you doing a manual or EPS rack

Doing the EPS rack. I have 3, so rebuilding all of them. Done all bearings except for one which i'm still sourcing for the worm drive bearing (10 day wait). Also was able to find a self lubricating bush 5mm longer than the OEM 30mm bush and remachine the locating clip in the housing, so should last longer. Also sent the plastic torque gear to a machine shop in victoria to reproduce in brass.

Doing the EPS rack. I have 3, so rebuilding all of them. Done all bearings except for one which i'm still sourcing for the worm drive bearing (10 day wait). Also was able to find a self lubricating bush 5mm longer than the OEM 30mm bush and remachine the locating clip in the housing, so should last longer. Also sent the plastic torque gear to a machine shop in victoria to reproduce in brass.

Well done are you going to provide a swap and go service or are you going to sell them off.

Back