• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Airline/Military Pilots and Hiring

I figure there's at least a few NSXers out there that are either already airline pilots or working towards making the jump from mil/charter/regional.

I'm a military guy myself with 1500TT, 500 PIC turbine and will probably come close to doubling that before I make the decision to stay in or get out in just over 4 years, so I feel pretty good about my odds of getting hired. Really aiming to have a more stable home life in the endgame than the military has been or will be for the next few years even with the first couple years of sitting reserve for days on end. As much as I would like to keep flying in the guard/reserve, I may just cut away cold turkey for my family's sake. I have a few older buddies I would consider mentors that have been recently hired, so I've been able to glean some info from them.

Got my ATP last year under the old rules and have recently started preparing my apps for a few of the majors on airline apps. I know there's more to be done as far as pre-interview study and app prep, but that's still a ways off.

Going to max blast apps out to every major, but really hoping for a job offer from Delta so I can sit on a line at ATL and be close to my family in TN and my wife's family in FL.

Any airline/military pilot NSXers that can give me some advice? Dos/don'ts? Any recent hires?

Thanks!

I'm a former Navy P-3 driver, now working for one of the majors (longer than I care to think about sometimes). Your friends are probably your best source of information - they've all been hired rather recently. Your timing will be good, for the airlines will see A LOT of retirements over the next 10 years and will be looking to replace those retiring pilots. One bit of advice that I would offer is that if you can stomach it, stay in the reserves or guard. I completely separated from the Naval Reserve but fly with a lot of guys who either are or will not only be drawing a military retirement but will also enjoy military retiree healthcare benefits (i.e. TRICARE). This stuff may seem a lifetime away to you right now, but trust me, it's a big deal. Many of my friends at work are glad that they stayed in the guard or reserves long enough to retire.

I did not go commercial but I echo the "stability" of the Reserves. With ups and downs of aviation (like after 911) it provided an alternative and the medical component is a nice safety net.

I'm a former Navy P-3 driver, now working for one of the majors (longer than I care to think about sometimes). Your friends are probably your best source of information - they've all been hired rather recently. Your timing will be good, for the airlines will see A LOT of retirements over the next 10 years and will be looking to replace those retiring pilots. One bit of advice that I would offer is that if you can stomach it, stay in the reserves or guard. I completely separated from the Naval Reserve but fly with a lot of guys who either are or will not only be drawing a military retirement but will also enjoy military retiree healthcare benefits (i.e. TRICARE). This stuff may seem a lifetime away to you right now, but trust me, it's a big deal. Many of my friends at work are glad that they stayed in the guard or reserves long enough to retire.

I did not go commercial but I echo the "stability" of the Reserves. With ups and downs of aviation (like after 911) it provided an alternative and the medical component is a nice safety net.

Nice. I'm an AF product of Corpus before the AF side of the program was shuttered shortly after I left (C-130 guy). Great flying and a good deal, was sad to see it go.

My buddies are also suggesting taking a hard look at serving in the guard or reserve for the same reasons, medical, income supplement for the first few years. I wouldn't mind continuing to serve and I'm a shoe-in at the local KC-135 unit (for however long that lasts if they don't get the KC-46) but my family would have to be able to stomach it moreso than me. It would be a shame to lose 12 years of active service, but picking up 8 years worth of days to get to retirement would probably end up being 15 more years and multiple trips to the Died. Lots of things to think about here over the next 4 years and lots that could change it.

My buddy who recently got picked up at United is a reservist in Colorado Springs but commutes to Newark and transferring to SFO later this year. He's saying to try not to commute to both. Either live in domicile or live near the unit, but don't commute to both.

Last edited:
The Reserves can be a tough commitment! We did not have kids... but I missed many events because of the Reserves. My wife and I agreed to the sacrifice (as this is necessary). I had 11 years active and the Reserves don't add much pay to your retirement but without them you get nothing. That being said, I ended up with O-6 at 28.5 years...so that becomes a tremendous cushion against the unknown.
Its like a marathon...long and tough but the results (for me) were worth it.

I'm retired AD AF (F-16Cs) and AFRC (A/T-38B/C). Was a TR for 1 year and an AGR in AETC for 11 more. Several of our airline TRs continued their military service with no deployment requirements and the option to massage their airline schedule (trip drop) for mil duty. Only 7 days/month required in my Group, to be on good standing, with weekend X-C training as a great way to get those days quick. IMHO, continued military service in AETC is the best way to combine both jobs. I also highly encourage a single commute. Saw multiple TR double-commuters quit inside a year after living a "burn at both ends" lifestyle. Live at your base/post or airline domicile.

I got an AD retirement from the guard. I also fly for a major airline. If I had to pick the AD retirement or the airline job I'd take the AD retirement in an instant. Of course everyone is different with different situations. I strongly agree with the single commute. INHO a double commute is not sustainable.

Back