• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Upgrading condenser fans

Recently did the evaporator, replaced with aftermarket of course. System doesn't cool as well as it did before the leak.

While investigating, my mechanic said the condenser fans hardly seem to move any air at all. And one of them was replaced two years ago....

He put a couple of clip on fans down there and immediately system did way way better at idle.

So, has anyone gone custom condenser fans and if so, how, what etc?

I live in Florida, black NSX and in the summer if the car is parked in sun for any length of time, the system really struggles to cool down even before the evap swap.

Do you have R134A? The original hvac condensers were built to a cfm spec for R12. That is why I stay R12. Above 100 degree condenser temperatures, R134A is a significantly higher pressure over R12 which means more heat and less condensing capability. I'd just swap to R12 if you're not already running it. See chart below for reference. Fan upgrades sound pricey and I have no idea how guys claim here on Prime that they removed the fan motors without complete disassembly of the bumper and condensers.
IMG_0288.JPG

I have a suggested test. Take the car out on the highway and operate the air conditioning. If you still are not getting satisfactory operation from you air conditioning system, putting in higher flow fans on the condenser coils is not going to improve things. At highway speeds the fan is pretty much irrelevant in terms of airflow. If operation of the air conditioning improves at highway speeds, then you may have a condenser cooling issue.

Before looking for a higher flow fan, two things to try. Do a voltage test at the fan terminals with the fans running (will take a little improvising). Should be around 13 volts or so. If the voltage is a lot less the relay that controls the condenser fans may be approaching the end of its life or you have a bad connection someplace. Check the condensers for bent fins or plugging with debris. After I got my car I discovered that the condensers (and a portion of the rad) were plugged up with dead grass hoppers - smelled a treat when I re hydrated their corpses when I washed them out. You can buy a thing called a fin comb for cleaning out and straightening the fins after they have been bent over by the colliding grasshoppers.

do you have any picture of the clip in fan? i repalaceed one of my fan and it seem to be going slow also....looking for a new alternative lol

No, this was just a temp fix to prove they were an issue

Old Guy, they tested the voltage, all good apparently. I did wonder about the highway speed aspect. It cools better but I need to be doing a lot more than 50mph to get some improvement, and it's not great then either.

I'll have him check the condensers when he gets the car next in a few weeks, I know one of the condensers and I think it's fan were new 2 years ago though.

No, this was just a temp fix to prove they were an issue

Old Guy, they tested the voltage, all good apparently. I did wonder about the highway speed aspect. It cools better but I need to be doing a lot more than 50mph to get some improvement, and it's not great then either.

I'll have him check the condensers when he gets the car next in a few weeks, I know one of the condensers and I think it's fan were new 2 years ago though.

yea i currently have the same exact issue. going on the freeway my a.c is cold...on local and when idle it starts to get quite warm and normal temp air is just blowing through. one of my fan for sure isnt working though and that was what my mechanic told me.

I have the same issue. Anyone know the fix?

ThaiT. I would also check your condenser fan fuse. See if it is blown.

Back