• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dreaded clutch switch

91 nsx wouldn't start,First thought it was battery, But had good charge, So went with the clutch switch plastic button, Bottom one was gone easy to replace,but that one is for cruise control, so had to be the top, There is no way I can get to it,Pulled plug connection and jumped with paper clip,Started right up, Now don't know if I should leave it like this or go to Acura, They said have to remove clutch pedal assembly about two hours job,I kind of like it hard wired,What should I do, Anybody have this problem, Thanks Danny.

I tried and tried and tried. I gave up and brought it to my favorite NSX tech. $80 for an hour's worth of labor, was worth it to me.

You should consider the paper clip a temporary fix. You probably don't want hot current going across an exposed non-insulated piece of metal in spite of it not likely grounding somewhere. Unless you have secured it with electrical tape. And don't ever give anyone your keys without letting them know the clutch interlock is disabled, especially someone like a service tech.

I would leave it as is. Crank walk happens mostly during starts, as there is no oil pressure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The easiest way to access the hole in the clutch pedal is to do it while you bleed the clutch system. Open the bleed screw on the slave cylinder, depress the clutch pedal and replace the plug while the pedal is on the floor. Then complete the bleeding process in a normal fashion. Same is true for the brake pedal plug - do it while you're bleeding the brakes.

Last edited:
If you turn the key and dash lights up but no crank, usually clutch switch, Ive seen people check fuses, rebuild starters, replace ignition switch, ends up being 5 minuite fix. Just ordered trunk strut from acura going to replace it Monday.

Not a "5 minute fix". I've done quite a bit of work on my '91 NSX and don't remember a job as difficult (or frustrating) as this fix. Initially, I thought I could remove the driver seat and get "easy" access. No way. After an hour of trying (and multiple shimmy ins and shimmy outs to get different tools) I reconciled the need to remove the clutch pedal subassembly. Two nuts, one bolt, one cotter pin, one pin, two connector plugs and 0.5 hour later, it was out. What a PITA! I can see why the shop charges two hours labor minimum for this job. That subassembly/plastic pad might be the worst design feature of this car. Single-point of failure...a $6 piece of plastic.

Just replaced mines and it was painful. Honestly do not know how anyone can get a hand up there to push it in, there's just no room. What ended up working for me was having a second person press the clutch pedal in slightly so I could see the hole. Then I held the stopper into place with a homemade "Y" shaped wire, and then used a long flathead screwdriver to push it securely into the hole. It still ended up taking some time and alot of trial and error.

Dreaded Clutch Switch Stopper

Decided to inspect my clutch / brake switch stoppers today and they appeared to be in good shape no cracks and still seemed pliable. So I'm wondering has anyone actually had a white one break?

Last edited:
Just replaced mines and it was painful. Honestly do not know how anyone can get a hand up there to push it in, there's just no room. What ended up working for me was having a second person press the clutch pedal in slightly so I could see the hole. Then I held the stopper into place with a homemade "Y" shaped wire, and then used a long flathead screwdriver to push it securely into the hole. It still ended up taking some time and alot of trial and error.
Good job. Very similar approach to mine (funny how we used the same wording, too), but imagine doing it solo, lol. Like you said, I actually forgot to mention that the clutch pedal must be pressed in slightly while attempting this, which adds to the overall challenge.

Copying to this thread, in case people aren't going to the previously referenced thread.
I was able to get to it by using a pair of long needle nose pliers and a long flat head screwdriver.

The needle nose pliers were used to get and hold the new pad/pedal stopper in position, then the flat head was used to push the stopper into the hole.

It is an act of acrobatics and contortionism.
Driver seat was still in, but taking it out would definitely give you more room to work with. I was laying on my back, I don't think using mirrors would work that well. You have to be able to see directly where your working at, and definitely figure out a way to light up the area.

And it is totally trial and error, with a lot of failed attempts.

Well, we actually did it. I could never get under there, but my wife got in without us removing the seat. The problem was getting it to stay there while she applied pressure to pop it in. I wanted to share my idea which actually worked. I drilled a tiny hole right in the center of the stop. I took a piece of #24 stranded wire (I used white because my interior is black and it made it easier to see) and threaded it through the hole from the flat side and put a knot there. So, she fed the wire through the hole in the top of the clutch pedal, pulled it through with needle nose pliers. Pulling on the wire kept the conical part of the stop right up against the hole while she pushed it in, I think using the tip of the needle nose. Then we just pulled the thin wire out the front. Don't get me wrong, the whole thing is nearly impossible, but I hope this technique helps someone.

Decided to inspect my clutch / brake switch stoppers today and they appeared to be in good shape no cracks and still seemed pliable. So I'm wondering has anyone actually had a white one break?
Do you still have the old blue ones, or do you have new white ones for all three locations?

I've never had a white one break on me (referencing other Hondas/Acuras I've had previously/currently). Blue ones are a guaranteed degraded, crumbling mess turned headache (dead battery and/or non-starting car).
In [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] 's words, the new part is made of a white polyurethane type of hardened material.
To me, it seems like Honda redesigned the part with a material that won't breakdown over time from exposure to air, oil/grease, and moisture.
It would be interesting to find out when the new part was introduced and started production (I believe 2005 NSXs still came with blue pedal stopper pads, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

One last note, the solution of using a nut/bolt combination to replace the pedal stopper pad which definitely works and would be a permanent fix, I feel should only be a temporary measure (I've done the same in the past, but then replaced it with a new pedal stopper pad). I think the bolt being metal could end up damaging or wearing down the plastic plunger/push switch of whichever switch (clutch, clutch inhibiter, stop & cruise), which could possibly lead to switch failure. In my opinion.

Last edited:
A couple of data points for the blue versus white failure analysis:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/211824-Dead-battery-brake-lights

My 2000 has white stoppers - at least the ones I can see without the use of one of those remote inspection cameras! So, 2000s were equipped with white unless a previous owner had them replaced on my car. I do have a couple of new stoppers in bags in the trunk just in case they fail. I also have about a 1.5 m roll of wire to act as a remote starter switch to get the car going if the upper stopper ever does drop out.

Last edited:
Good job. Very similar approach to mine (funny how we used the same wording, too), but imagine doing it solo, lol. Like you said, I actually forgot to mention that the clutch pedal must be pressed in slightly while attempting this, which adds to the overall challenge.

Copying to this thread, in case people aren't going to the previously referenced thread.

Do you still have the old blue ones, or do you have new white ones for all three locations?

I've never had a white one break on me (referencing other Hondas/Acuras I've had previously/currently). Blue ones are a guaranteed degraded, crumbling mess turned headache (dead battery and/or non-starting car).
In @RYU 's words, the new part is made of a white polyurethane type of hardened material.
To me, it seems like Honda redesigned the part with a material that won't breakdown over time from exposure to air, oil/grease, and moisture.
It would be interesting to find out when the new part was introduced and started production (I believe 2005 NSXs still came with blue pedal stopper pads, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

One last note, the solution of using a nut/bolt combination to replace the pedal stopper pad which definitely works and would be a permanent fix, I feel should only be a temporary measure (I've done the same in the past, but then replaced it with a new pedal stopper pad). I think the bolt being metal could end up damaging or wearing down the plastic plunger/push switch of whichever switch (clutch, clutch inhibiter, stop & cruise), which could possibly lead to switch failure. In my opinion.

Mine are the white material.

Looks like the anecdotal evidence indicates white ones are not the breakage problem the blue ones are. I've got a 98 Accord MT so I checked and its got similar stoppers that appear to be the same white material. Its got 250Kmi as my daily for 20yrs w/o any problems. So Given the A**pain to change the upper as a preventive measure I think I'll leave it alone till theres more data on the white ones failing.

Good thread, I have heard of this problem on several threads. My 97 still has the original ones and for a few bucks I just ordered a few. Easier to order some, than to lay under the dash to see if I have white or blue. Damn I am lazy sometimes!

There's one of these new damn plugs now in the glove box of each of the Honda/Acuras (the Honda 20 hp outboard and Z50 RD don't use them) I own. :frown:

Last edited:
A couple of data points for the blue versus white failure analysis:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/211824-Dead-battery-brake-lights

My 2000 has white stoppers - at least the ones I can see without the use of one of those remote inspection cameras! So, 2000s were equipped with white unless a previous owner had them replaced on my car. I do have a couple of new stoppers in bags in the trunk just in case they fail. I also have about a 1.5 m roll of wire to act as a remote starter switch to get the car going if the upper stopper ever does drop out.

Thanks for the data points. Still looks like whites are a non-failure at the moment.
How long have you had your 2000? A previous owner probably had replaced them, as I definitely know of post-2000 Hondas/Acuras that came with the blue ones.
Hopefully, someone with the knowledge will chime in on when the white ones were introduced.

A paper clip to bypass the upper clutch interlock switch in case of emergency is a good idea, too. That's actually what I had to do with my car for a while, come to think of it, it might still be bypassed and I replaced the upper clutch interlock switch's pedal stopper pad on my Civic instead, but same concept.

Mine are the white material.

Looks like the anecdotal evidence indicates white ones are not the breakage problem the blue ones are. I've got a 98 Accord MT so I checked and its got similar stoppers that appear to be the same white material. Its got 250Kmi as my daily for 20yrs w/o any problems. So Given the A**pain to change the upper as a preventive measure I think I'll leave it alone till theres more data on the white ones failing.
Are you the original owner of your 98 Accord, all 250K miles by you? If so, and those are the original pedal stopper pads, that'd be an interesting data point.
Either way, still a great data point, as you have some white ones with 250K miles/20 years on them!

There's one of these new damn plugs now in the glove box of each of the Honda/Acuras (the Honda 20 hp outboard and Z50 RD don't use them) I own. :frown:
Lol, you know what Neal, I have extras as well, but I just keep them in my garage, which I guess wouldn't be useful if I'm away or on the road and encounter the dreaded blue crumbles, lol.

Thanks for the data points. Still looks like whites are a non-failure at the moment.
How long have you had your 2000? A previous owner probably had replaced them, as I definitely know of post-2000 Hondas/Acuras that came with the blue ones.
Hopefully, someone with the knowledge will chime in on when the white ones were introduced.

A paper clip to bypass the upper clutch interlock switch in case of emergency is a good idea, too. That's actually what I had to do with my car for a while, come to think of it, it might still be bypassed and I replaced the upper clutch interlock switch's pedal stopper pad on my Civic instead, but same concept.

I have had my 2000 since 2011 so if they were changed, it was early on in its life.

The paper clip works as a temporary fix; however, not such a good solution if the button drops out while the car is in the grocery store parking lot. The plug on the clutch switch might be easier to access than the button; but, it is still not easy to access. Not something that I want to try and do in the parking lot. The jumper wire can get the engine going in under 5 minutes - if you know what you are doing.

Thread revival.

Replaced the white "plug" for brake pedal some time ago. 2005 with 52K miles now. It previously spent 7 years in S Florida....

Driving today, at first stop noted two small white "pebbles" on my NSX carpet driver's footwell under pedals. Second stop I reached down to grab them and toss them out. Umm, no. Not pebbles. Sh*t not this crap again :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad: Got her home and parked, with additional fragments having dropped. Don't yet know which of the two clutch pedal "plugs" ("stoppers", whatever) is deteriorating, but I know from NSXPrime it's gonna be a bee-yotch whichever. Anyone have any new advice and/or method(s)?

I have a photo of the fragments on the carpet if anyone wants to view it. Just need to host it elsewhere and link it up. As previously mentioned, I have extras. And so should you.
Mere days before it was to be placed into winter hibernation.

This happened to me a few months ago. I just glued a penny onto the hole so that the switch would be pressed.

I actually bought the right plastic piece but couldn't force it through the hole to seat it. Getting down there I realized my clutch was also missing- probably when I first got the car. Since it has never had issues starting I ignored it.

Really the hardest part is getting under the dash without taking out the seat.

So, I guess this kills everybody's fantasy that the white stoppers might be immune to failure?

I like the following replacement method:

1) drill a tiny hole through the center of the stopper
2) run some mono filament fishing line through hole with a knot to hold the stopper in place
3) fish the mono filament up into the stopper mounting bracket and use the mono filament to pull the stopper roughly into place.
4) use the method of your choice to seat the stopper

Its not my idea; but, I like it.

I use about a 3' long reversible wood working clamp as a kind of a pedal jack to position the clutch pedal as needed.

It occurs to me that if you remove the lower bolster in addition to the bottom cover it might make life easier. I don't think removing the bolster will improve access; but, I think it would make it easier to see what you are trying to do particularly if you are an 'old guy'.

Propping the brake pedal with something heavy (I used my wife's 20lb exercise weight) is a challenge in itself. The other challenge was seating it like you said. I pressed pretty dang hard and couldn't get the stopper in. I have a feeling even a fishing wire wouldn't have given me enough force to get the plastic on. Maybe my part was wrong? I actually ordered from two different companies since they were so cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C57TBY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016S1QPLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neither of them fit.

Thank you, Furinax and Old Guy, for your additional thoughts and experiences.

Update - I checked it out a few minutes ago and this one is the cruise control (lower of the two pad stoppers on the clutch pedal ass'y) pad stopper. So I lucked out, this time. I'm going to grab a photo of it, then take it for a drive and attempt to engage the cruise control. Then come back and replace it. While doing so I will try to at least view the clutch pedal's upper pad stopper AKA the sumb*tch. :redface:

Propping the brake pedal with something heavy (I used my wife's 20lb exercise weight) is a challenge in itself. The other challenge was seating it like you said. I pressed pretty dang hard and couldn't get the stopper in. I have a feeling even a fishing wire wouldn't have given me enough force to get the plastic on. Maybe my part was wrong? I actually ordered from two different companies since they were so cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C57TBY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016S1QPLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neither of them fit.

The fishing line definitely will not seat the stopper. Its just an easier way of getting the stopper roughly into place. That's why I left "4) use the method of your choice to seat the stopper" :smile: .

Back