• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad experience with Discount Tire Direct

I tried to buy the following tires from Discount Tire Direct for my 93 NSX with 97 16/17 OEM wheels, and they won't sell them to me because they claim the front tire doesn't meet Acura's load index (86):

Brand: BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
Front: 205 /45 R16 83W SL BSW
Rear: 245 /40 R17 91W SL BSW

I pleaded with them to sell me something that will work for my NSX, and they said they don't have anything. Guess they don't want our business. Anyone else have similar issues with them?

Interesting. I'm guessing they're refusing to install them on your NSX? I could see that. Can you just buy the tires and have them mounted and balanced elsewhere? Perhaps even bring the wheels loose, off the car. I know it seems like a lot of trouble.

Why are you disclosing vehicle details anyway? Why not get rubber from Tirerack with proper sizes?

Interesting. I'm guessing they're refusing to install them on your NSX? I could see that. Can you just buy the tires and have them mounted and balanced elsewhere? Perhaps even bring the wheels loose, off the car. I know it seems like a lot of trouble.
They won't sell them to me now that they know I have an NSX.

Why are you disclosing vehicle details anyway? Why not get rubber from Tirerack with proper sizes?
I didn't know I needed to keep my vehicle details secret, is that common knowledge or something? I don't see it in the Wiki. It was my understanding that the sizes I wanted were a good fit for my NSX (at least for my use) given that stock sizes are no longer available.

Also, I was trying to take advantage of this offer which ended yesterday: https://slickdeals.net/f/10240788-discount-tire-direct-july-4th-sale-w-rebates-up-to-320

Last edited:
Yes they are very restrictive as to what they can put on cars these days for insurance reasons obviously...

My brother in law is a manager at Discount Tire here in SoCal and I can remember having issues when I was trying to get tires for the oem 16-17 set up....he ended up just putting my car in the system as a "kit car" to get around it. I don't think it had the same issues with the 17-18 set up I have now for some reason?

If you can make a trip to SoCal(Murrieta) I can hook you up with great prices too.:biggrin:

I have a very good relationship with my local Discount Tire and when I bought (and they installed) set of Continental tires with fronts 205/45/16 instead of 215/45/16 because Conti does not make a 215/45/16, the manager pointed this same thing out to me and suggested that I increase inflation pressure of fronts by a few pounds to compensate. I did tell him I assumed all risk in connection with any issues caused by using tire that was other than OEM spec and he didn't make a big deal over this matter. I understand where they are coming from but I think refusing to sell you the tires is a bit of an overreaction. I am guessing you will figure out a "work-around".

Best,
Jeff

I had the same experience with a local tire vendor (Les Schwab). I was looking at the Yokohama Advans AD08R in a 215/40-17 and the tire had a load index of 83W (same as the BFG's you are looking at). Dealer said they couldn't sell me the tire(s) for reason the same as yours. I said OK, went home and ordered them from Tire Rack.

I like to help out a local business when I can but their unwillingness to help pushed me to Tire Rack for all my tire needs (for all my vehicles). Unfortunate.

Go to Tire Rack and don't look back.

Go to Tire Rack and don't look back.
Update: I called Tire Rack and they said the tires I wanted to order are absolutely fine for my NSX & specific usage (mostly street driving with occasional canyon/coastal runs). They even ended up being $40 cheaper than Discount Tire Direct, and were able to ship them directly to a tire shop near my house, versus Discount Tire Direct where I'd have to get the tires shipped to my house, then haul them to my local Discount Tire to get mounted/balanced/installed.

Such a night and day difference.

BTW, Discount Tire Direct called me back and insisted the the tires I ordered are unsafe for my NSX. Here's the info they provided as proof: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1OA-kmQodJDcjFMakdHVnA2Zk0

This is what I responded to them with:

"Per the Honda web site, my 1993 NSX has a curb weight of 3020 lbs, and its weight distribution (%F/R) is 42/58 (because it's a mid-engine car).

Even if we assume I use the tire with the smallest load index (BFG G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 205/45R16 with a load index of 83) on all four wheels, that means at 33 psi the tires can support 3,968 lbs (4 x 992). However, the rear tires that I want to buy have a load index of 91, which means the total load capacity is even greater. Therefore, I think I will be perfectly safe in using the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires that I originally wanted to buy from you. Unfortunately, since Discount Tire Direct does not want to sell them to me, I have no choice but to purchase them from Tire Rack.

Sincerely,
PHOEN$X"

Last edited:
My Discount Tire would not install tires directly on the car for similar reasons but would allow me to bring the wheels in loose, thus they would not know what car they were going on.

Back