• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield Replacement - OEM Glass No Longer Available.

Some time during 2016 new OEM windshields for the NSX passed into the history books. Acura is now outsourcing the windshields from a single outside vendor. If you are in the market for a new windshield your best bet is to go to one of the reputable glass shops such as Safelite Auto Glass and have them purchase the glass and install it. Several owners, myself included, have been very pleased with the work that Safelite has done. One thing you will want to do is pre-purchase the moldings, spacers and rubber components from Acura since these are not generic parts that the glass installer will have in stock or replace. For your convenience here is the list of parts you'll need.I would also recommend providing Safelite with the pages out of the service manual regarding the windshield replacement just in case the techs aren't completely familiar with the NSX and it's parts you'll be supplying them with.

• RUBBER B, FR. WINDSHIELD DAM 73125-SL0-000 1 $59.85
  • RUBBER, FR. WINDSHIELD DAM (A) 73124-SL0-000 1 $8.77
  • SPACER, FR. WINDSHIELD 73126-SL0-000 2 $9.50
  • MOLDING, FR. WINDSHIELD (UPPER) 73151-SL0-023 1 $43.58
  • FASTENER, FR. WINDSHIELD (UPPER) 73152-SL0-013 1 $75.75
(2016 Prices)
Make sure to let your glass shop know that they need to make sure the new glass has the VIN window. Also, don't accept any glass that has scratches or clarity issues. My shop rejected the first windshield that arrived due to it not meeting their spec's.

are these additional parts readily available?

how much is the windshield?

Some time during 2016 new OEM windshields for the NSX passed into the history books. Acura is now outsourcing the windshields from a single outside vendor. If you are in the market for a new windshield your best bet is to go to one of the reputable glass shops such as Safelite Auto Glass and have them purchase the glass and install it. Several owners, myself included, have been very pleased with the work that Safelite has done. One thing you will want to do is pre-purchase the moldings, spacers and rubber components from Acura since these are not generic parts that the glass installer will have in stock or replace. For your convenience here is the list of parts you'll need.I would also recommend providing Safelite with the pages out of the service manual regarding the windshield replacement just in case the techs aren't completely familiar with the NSX and it's parts you'll be supplying them with.

(2016 Prices)
Make sure to let your glass shop know that they need to make sure the new glass has the VIN window. Also, don't accept any glass that has scratches or clarity issues. My shop rejected the first windshield that arrived due to it not meeting their spec's.

(2016 Prices)
Good info, thanks!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Thank you for the information. My windshield had a few chips and I am having it replaced. They never told me to get the new weather stripping and other parts. Needless to say I called Tim Poliniak for the parts and got this response:

Hi Ken,

Looks like 73125-SL0-000 and 73152-SL0-013 are backordered with no current ETA. That said, I don't know how much good the rest would do you....

Best Regards,
Tim Poliniak
Acura of Peoria

So once again off to eBay I went. Found the other two parts on ebay and now just have to wait for everything to come in. Every time I have to do something with my car it is like a scavenger hunt. I wish Acura would start stocking basic parts for our cars. My windshield is an OEM replacement and evidently this is one of the last available. I think it is coming in from MD. Here is what I paid for the parts:
The ebay parts had horrific shipping but i had to pay.

Here is the Acura parts order:

Order Content

<tbody>
</tbody>
Part NumberMakePart NameListPriceQuantityTotal
73124-SL0-000AcuraRubber, Front Windshield Dam (A)$13.90$9.73 1$9.73
73126-SL0-000AcuraSpacer, Front Windshield$8.34$5.84 2$11.68
73151-SL0-023AcuraMolding, Front Windshield (Upper)$70.35$49.25 1$49.25

<tbody>
</tbody>
Subtotal Amount:$70.66
Estimated Current Total:$70.66

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/643bcaa2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/643bcaa2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/643bcaa2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/643bcaa2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Last edited:
I had to replace my windshield the other day due to a very large chip I received while driving on the freeway. The replacement brand was LKQ and appears fine but it lacks the cutout on the driver's side for the VIN# plate. It was the only brand available and last one in stock (in the Bay Area) so I didn't have much of a choice. It replaced the existing Pilkington glass which did have the proper VIN cutout. I also researched Safelite but from what I found, some folks there also received glass w/o the VIN# cutout. They also indicated that they only had one last windshield in stock (I suspect they get the glass from the same supplier). At more than double the price of what the local installer quoted me, I didn't want to take a chance. Besides, my 99 dash VIN plate only shows the first few letters with the rest of it on the door jamb. So I don't think it would make that much of a difference if it's covered up.

Thanks to this thread, I did purchase the seals and moldings. I didn't realize the top molding was painted black as my previous one must've been aftermarket as it was just faded black rubber.

FWIW, I saw an episode of Wheeler Dealers quite a while ago. They could not locate a very rare windshield replacement (a 1973 SAAB 96) so they went to these guys. They have a massive inventory of windshields and were able to match up the exact curvature of the original and CUT a new one out of a more commonly available product (a Chevy Impala). It was an amazing process to watch, and I have no idea about NSX application or warranty, etc, but you guys in CA might have a gold mine in your back yard.
Anyone out there know these guys?

http://kottoautoglass.com/

I found the episode. The glass replacement starts at 27:00

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x68vi96

Looks like they might be able to provide a now out of production door window also. Good to know. Thanks for the heads up ajmr2!

Thanks for the link, Ajmr2, really good video. Very impressive. I guess we'll find out soon which other glass matches the NSX best. :)

'Out of stock' in US and Japan is not 'out of production' or even 'discontinued'. So there is a chance that they'll do a batch in the near future, like the manual steering rack or the clutch.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Ajmr2, really good video. Very impressive. I guess we'll find out soon which other glass matches the NSX best. :)

'Out of stock' in US and Japan is not 'out of production' or even 'discontinued'. So there is a chance that they'll do a batch in the near future, like the manual steering rack or the clutch.

Agree- there are thousands of these cars on the road. Fully discontinuing a windshield- a consumable part- makes no sense. I agree with Gold, I think any delay is just time in between batches of production. While I can't see discontinuing, I can see running a big batch and then not producing any more until that batch runs out- it is a rare car after all. My windshield has a big chip right in the driver's eyeline- I'm planning to take it to Safelite (who did a fantastic job on my last NSX a few years ago). Just trying to decide whether to do it pre-paint or after. But, when I do, I'll report on stock status. FWIW, they used an OEM windshield the last time.

Have replaced mine about 3 month ago with a totally new one from Honda Japan - supposed to be lucky then
During that time Honda told only 3 ones would be available on stock world wide at Honda.
Shield as well as related weather seals etc. came new
Was covered by insurance (had to pay only 500 contribution) but costs in total were ~ 4000 Euro

Last edited:
Just some more info for anyone (eventually) needing to get a replacement windshield. As mentioned, it is possible to still get OEM glass from Japan but you're looking at anywhere from $1500-$2000 USD. If you're willing to go aftermarket I highly recommend you do your own research and find out exactly what you'll be getting. If you just let insurance handle it or let 'the guy you've been going to for years' for your other cars handle it, you may end up with something you're not happy with.

After 14 years I finally had the misfortune of needing to replace my windshield after a metal bolt hit mine on the freeway leaving a circular crack the size of a coaster (irreparable other than replacement). I reached out to my go-to windshield repair shop that had been repairing my windows/windshields for decades (even dealer recommended) and the only one they could source through their supply network was XYG. At the time I said ok, put down a $25 non-refundable deposit, and said I wanted to inspect it prior to install ... it was missing a VIN cutout, a no-no in my state adding unnecessary problems in the future, so I moved on to continue with my search which turned out to be a very good thing (you'll see why in a sec).

After doing some research, there are over a dozen brands out there manufacturing replacement windshields and not all are the same in terms of quality (nor make one for the NSX). For ex. here's a list from another forum ranked by glass installers' experience/opinion, so it's more for just letting you know where you'll land on the spectrum (note XYG's ranking!) vs to debate 10 is better than 11.

1. Sekurit
2. Pilkington
3. Guardian
4. Fuyao
5. AGC
6. Mopar
7. Carlex
8. Carlite
9. AP Tech
10. PGW (LKQ)
11. ATI
12. Vitro
13. TriVal
14. XYG
15. ...

The above are all similar in that they are all DOT approved which means they will all meet the safety requirements necessary to legally be put onto your car i.e. you can live with it and move on. However, they are all not the same in quality, clarity, durability, resilience, and finish details by any stretch. I initially set out to try and find a Pilkington but to no avail but finally found someone that could source a Fuyao. Being that it was about as high up the list I could get locally (has VIN cut-out, high quality, etc.) I pulled the trigger, ordered new OEM top moldings (the pair) from BlackHawk Japan (they're great!), got new yellow OEM clips for the base, and very pleased to report I'm happy with the end results.

Last edited:
Just some more info for anyone (eventually) needing to get a replacement windshield. As mentioned, it is possible to still get OEM glass from Japan but you're looking at anywhere from $1500-$2000 USD. If you're willing to go aftermarket I highly recommend you do your own research and find out exactly what you'll be getting. If you just let insurance handle it or let 'the guy you've been going to for years' for your other cars handle it, you may end up with something you're not happy with.

After 14 years I finally had the misfortune of needing to replace my windshield after a metal bolt hit mine on the freeway leaving a circular crack the size of a coaster (irreparable other than replacement). I reached out to my go-to windshield repair shop that had been repairing my windows/windshields for decades (even dealer recommended) and the only one they could source through their supply network was XYG. At the time I said ok, put down a $25 non-refundable deposit, and said I wanted to inspect it prior to install ... it was missing a VIN cutout, a no-no in my state adding unnecessary problems in the future, so I moved on to continue with my search which turned out to be a very good thing (you'll see why in a sec).

After doing some research, there are over a dozen brands out there manufacturing replacement windshields and not all are the same in terms of quality (nor make one for the NSX). For ex. here's a list from another forum ranked by glass installers' experience/opinion, so it's more for just letting you know where you'll land on the spectrum (note XYG's ranking!) vs to debate 10 is better than 11.

1. Sekurit
2. Pilkington
3. Guardian
4. Fuyao
5. AGC
6. Mopar
7. Carlex
8. Carlite
9. AP Tech
10. PGW (LKQ)
11. ATI
12. Vitro
13. TriVal
14. XYG
15. ...

The above are all similar in that they are all DOT approved which means they will all meet the safety requirements necessary to legally be put onto your car i.e. you can live with it and move on. However, they are all not the same in quality, clarity, durability, resilience, and finish details by any stretch. I initially set out to try and find a Pilkington but to no avail but finally found someone that could source a Fuyao. Being that it was about as high up the list I could get locally (has VIN cut-out, high quality, etc.) I pulled the trigger, ordered new OEM top moldings (the pair) from BlackHawk Japan (they're great!), got new yellow OEM clips for the base, and very pleased to report I'm happy with the end results.

Good info, thanks for sharing. How much was the Fuyao?

Fuyao: $377 usd
Oem Yellow Clips (8x) shipped: $60 usd
Oem upper windshield moldings (pair) shipped: $103 usd (¥ was at a low that day)
Labor w/tax: $100 usd
Total: $640 usd

If your yellow clips are all in tact (it is possible to remove them VERY carefully as mentioned but keep in mind they are old plastic so might as well replace) and your top moldings are still good, it could've been done just under $500 (common deductible amount which is part of their game perhaps).

One more thing I forgot to mention, my decision boiled down to cost and a "lack of warranty issue" going the OEM route ironically in this case. Not only would it have cost around 3x's as much and taken longer since shipped from overseas ... I personally wasn't able to find an installer who would warrantee it if I bought the glass myself, nor could I find a business willing to order the OE glass from Japan. But if any of YOU can, that might be the secret sauce because the lifetime warranty (obviously comes w/fine print) that many of these windshield replacement companies offer applies only when it's ordered by them and typically through their normal supply chains.

I recently got a Fuyao installed by Safelite since no one else in my area could source an NSX windshield. No complaints, seems fine. Price was right around $450 for the glass and installation.

Around the same time I had a Fuyao installed in my 540i as well. The clarity on that glass is not as good as the OEM BMW glass but I haven't noticed any issues on the NSX glass.

Last edited:
I recently got a Fuyao installed by Safelite since no one else in my area could source an NSX windshield. No complaints, seems fine. Price was right around $450 for the glass and installation.

Around the same time I had a Fuyao installed in my 540i as well. The clarity on that glass is not as good as the OEM BMW glass but I haven't noticed any issues on the NSX glass.

I just got mine replaced by Safelite too and its Fuyao. Honestly Fuyao is one of the decent aftermarket glasses out there. I have asked a couple other shops and they have even more inferior glasses like xyg, etc...

That is the glass Joe replaced mine with and noted it was quality...

Which shop in SoCal did you use? Did they do a good job? I'm looking for a place in the LA area to replace my windshield.

What I got from other prime members are that Jake Johnson from Safelite has experience with the nsx install. I specifically asked for Jake Johnson in my order, and asked I do not want XYG brand glass. Safelite called me back and said Jake is on light duty (probably from injuries) so they recommended me to Jorge from the West Covina branch. He seems to be knowledgeable and claimed he did many NSX as well as the new NC1s also. I just took his words. Only problem is I have to drive to the store instead of doing it remote at home.

Safelite ended up ordering the Fuyao glass (which is alot better than the XYG) which I am happy with. Before you bring your car in, I would order the two top molding pieces or else they might use aftermarket ones.

Overall I am happy with the work except that they did not put the weather seal back correctly under the hood. It is supposed to be sandwiched between the chassis and the molding. No big deal since I just have to remove the clips. Ended up that the clips they used were aftermarket and it is really hard to remove, I had to cut all the clips off and replace with correct ones. The important part is they did not damage anything and nothing rattle after. No gaps.

Good luck.

What I got from other prime members are that Jake Johnson from Safelite has experience with the nsx install. I specifically asked for Jake Johnson in my order, and asked I do not want XYG brand glass. Safelite called me back and said Jake is on light duty (probably from injuries) so they recommended me to Jorge from the West Covina branch. He seems to be knowledgeable and claimed he did many NSX as well as the new NC1s also. I just took his words. Only problem is I have to drive to the store instead of doing it remote at home.

Safelite ended up ordering the Fuyao glass (which is alot better than the XYG) which I am happy with. Before you bring your car in, I would order the two top molding pieces or else they might use aftermarket ones.

Overall I am happy with the work except that they did not put the weather seal back correctly under the hood. It is supposed to be sandwiched between the chassis and the molding. No big deal since I just have to remove the clips. Ended up that the clips they used were aftermarket and it is really hard to remove, I had to cut all the clips off and replace with correct ones. The important part is they did not damage anything and nothing rattle after. No gaps.

Good luck.

Great, thanks for the info, much appreciated. Does the Fuyao glass have the black imprint where the rearview mirror mounts to? Or is it completely clear there with no marking? Is there a black border that goes all the way around the outside edge of the windshield? Also, does it have the VIN cutout? Can you post a pic of your new Fuyao glass? I've read good things about this brand of glass but haven't seen anyone post pics yet.

Back