• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The 95/96 might be the least desired, but i love mine LOL

8R6

Experienced Member
The 95/96 might be the least desired, but i love mine LOL and i wrapped it myself!

Hey everyone!

Wasn't sure if I wanted to make a "build" thread or an "intro" thread, but ended up choosing the former just to help keep track of the car and if I ever sell it in the future (highly doubt it, but never know) then this would help add some history on the car too.

I've always loved the NSX when i first saw it revealed in 1990. I even bought a poster of a red one (separate thread in the Memorabilia subforum) and told my mom i would one day own this car. Took 27 yrs of learning how life can be a b*tch and not always fair, but dammit im here now making a thread about owning mine!! Brief car history for me is, 4 hondas, 2 bmw's, 2 toyotas, 1 audi, 1 infiniti. Grew up with what i consider the "glory days" of import racing back in the late 80s until the early 00s. I love all things automotive and am blessed to be working in the auto industry. I am also definitely an old school Honda guy at heart.

Bought my 95 NSX-T 5-speed Berlina Black with camel interior (JH4NA1186ST000713) earlier this year at the beginning of March. Searching on prime, looks like the car started off in the east coast and the 2nd owner was a prime member. 1st owner (according to the 2nd owners posts) was an older man who drove the car an average amount and not really a garage queen. Not sure who the 3rd owner was, but it ended up here in SoCal where the 4th owner purchased and owned it for about 4yrs i think? I don't think he was an active prime member, but was on here and how i found the car. Maintenance records only go back to when he (4th owner) had it but luckily it was maintained by Ramon at Niguel Motors the whole time who knew this car inside out. The car was almost bone stock when I got it... only mods were Racing Brake front bbk (calipers and 2pc rotors), ARK DTX exhaust, CC headers and an unknown HID low-beam kit.

Here's the car parked outside of the bank on the day i got the keys and title:
IMG_6841_resize.jpg

i loved the oem wheels, but the finish was pretty messed up with curb rash on the lips and faces on 2 of the wheels. Found a good deal on a set of og advan rg with tires from another prime member C30VTEC. I wanted to wait until i lowered the car before putting the wheels on, but i threw it on to see how the fitment looked and then just didnt bother removing it lol.
View attachment 147067

well, the 4x4 look was way too funky so i got the car lowered, replaced the disintegrating original front lip with the later version of the NA1 oem lip and swapped out the power antenna with a short fixed antenna like the s2k. the original power antenna worked perfectly fine but i knew it was a matter of time before it eventually would start getting stuck so i just took it out and am storing it.
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 2.12.14 PM.jpg

Next up was the oem steering wheel that had to go. it was actually in decent condition considering its age, but i just didnt like the way it looked exactly like my old 95 accord steering wheel haha. Got a smoking deal on a new Mugen3 wheel from a friend in Japan who shipped it over for me, and then bought a worksbell short hub and quick release for it. Got a free shiftknob from another friend and i liked the way it looked and the height, but was too small in diameter so eventually swapped it out for an oem euro accord r shift knob (a few weeks ago).
my_mugen_r3_wheel.JPG

then 5 weeks ago, i decided to wrap the car........ by myself. oh man that was a WAY bigger project than i expected. i completely overestimated my skills having done only simple roof wraps and small interior pieces lol. However, thru the process i got to meet a few great people and support system that helped encourage me on and eventually finish after 53 grueling hours hahaha. The oem paint was "ok" but the front bumper had been resprayed for sure once by the 2nd owner and im guessing possibly one more time again later. Plus the original hood had a dent/scrape in it so i bought a replacement one but the black was a slightly different shade probably cuz it was 4yrs older than mine :( so my car had 3 different very slight shades of berlina black... unacceptable. so instead of shelling out the money right now for a respray (eventually will do champ white), i decided to wrap. this was my first time ever wrapping a full car and damn. if i can give one advice, DONT DO IT ALONE. hahaha. i questioned owning the car a couple times and even wondered if this is what my life has become sitting and dripping sweat in a garage trying to change the car color with f***in vinyl. LOL. definitely a humbling experience and im more proud that i did it by myself than i am of the results itself! haha.
View attachment 147071IMG_7292.jpgIMG_7350.jpgView attachment 147074View attachment 147075

The final 53rd hour was this past Saturday at 10pm. Added a Pride CF NSXR wing and the car was ready for the Nisei week parade the next day. Nisei week is a 1 week festival in Little Tokyo (LA) with the parade including several of the showcars that will be in the Nisei Showoff event (this upcoming Saturday).

I must say... Prime has been an AWESOME resource and the community is hands-down the BEST car community I've ever come across. Also, being fairly close by to Ramon who has immensely helped make this car run strong and healthy again, was a blessing for both me and the car! He's helped replace a few gaskets, all sparkplugs and coilpacks, realign front hood, swap both rear axles/driveshafts, install suspension, and basically check out the whole car with and for me.

Anyway, enough talking for now and here are some pics of the car as it finally sits after 6 months of restoring/modding:
View attachment 147076View attachment 147077

Last edited:
I have to applaud your perseverance.....car looks nice in the pics.

Nice car.

I have seen "pro" wrap in person and was not impress by it. In photos, look great. Not so much in person.
Maybe i'm just really picky.

I'd have kept it black. Nsx deserves ninja attire....

I'd have kept it black. Nsx deserves ninja attire....
i liked the berlina too... but the paint condition was pretty horrid. swirl marks EVERYWHERE, mismatching hood, front bumper paint respray was shitty and the paint was flaking off around the edges :(

Great write up, congrats on the car!

thanks!

Nice car.

I have seen "pro" wrap in person and was not impress by it. In photos, look great. Not so much in person.
Maybe i'm just really picky.

Then it wasn't a very good pro... A good pro job looks like paint.

There is bad wrap jobs and there are good ones.

Car looks great!!! Can't wait to see it in person someday....interested to see how well the wrap turned out. That is not an easy thing to do as you found out.:smile:

Car looks great!!! Can't wait to see it in person someday....interested to see how well the wrap turned out. That is not an easy thing to do as you found out.:smile:

thanks man! yeah i havent been able to make it out to any events/meet since getting the car as any free time was spent restoring/replacing/wrapping until now. but hopefully i can come out to one in the near future. i wanna see your car too and compare how vastly different a professional wrap is compared to mine hahaha

Then it wasn't a very good pro... A good pro job looks like paint.

There is bad wrap jobs and there are good ones.

I agree. I havent seen a good wrap in person, yet. Not saying all wrap are bad. Just the one ive seen, so far.

'95's and '96's are actually my favorites. The 6 speed boxes on later cars feel crowded to me, the lower 2nd gear and new rear diff introduced in '95 make it feel quicker, and I love the targa top.

Very nice! Props for all that work on doing the wrap yourself. Your NSX looks great.
thanks!

looks amazing man!!
thanks!

'95's and '96's are actually my favorites. The 6 speed boxes on later cars feel crowded to me, the lower 2nd gear and new rear diff introduced in '95 make it feel quicker, and I love the targa top.
oh, i didnt know the rear diff changed in 95. i thought it was a 97+ thing.

I am with BamaFan. I have had two 1991s a 1997 and now have the 1995. My 1995 feels solid, tight and spirited when I put the foot into the accelerator.

As to the wrap, I have Brooklands Green. I love it. But there are days when I wish I could roll up in Kaiser Silver. I may have to get a wrap one day to test it out - so long as it I can take it back stock without issue.

I am with BamaFan. I have had two 1991s a 1997 and now have the 1995. My 1995 feels solid, tight and spirited when I put the foot into the accelerator.

As to the wrap, I have Brooklands Green. I love it. But there are days when I wish I could roll up in Kaiser Silver. I may have to get a wrap one day to test it out - so long as it I can take it back stock without issue.
as long as your paint condition is good and you dont use cheap quality vinyl, it'll be easy and safe to return back to oem condition.

Been following you on fb and IG.. good job because wrap sucks to do!
thanks man! if my car looked like yours tho, i would've never even bothered trying to wrap my car hahah

When I bought mine I didn't know there was any difference except 3.0L to 3.2L and Targa, so I drove several cars 94-00, all but one a targa, and ended up liking the 95 I bought the most, though to be fair it was the lowest mileage car. Don't know how to say it other than it felt like it had more arhhhhhhg! pull to it. Plus the 95 was $8K cheaper so it was a bargain to me. But knowing what I know now it was likely the lowered 2nd as Bama says that made the difference, and I've always liked that long pull thru 2nd.

update:

contacted @Johan@SjoebergDP about his s2k cluster conversion kits for 95/96 models... well more like i've been bugging him ever since i discovered the thread lol. He finally had time to develop a test kit for 95/96 models and had graciously let me be the one to help him test it out for accuracy and functionality. It's allllllllmost perfect, save for a small fix that he's working on now and looks like he thinks the kit should be ready soon for other 95/96 NSX's!! (and according to his thread, the 97-05 kits are also almost there too!)

Have to say his work on these kits is nothing short of exceptional and professional!
IMG_7518_resize.jpg

update:

contacted @Johan@SjoebergDP about his s2k cluster conversion kits for 95/96 models... well more like i've been bugging him ever since i discovered the thread lol. He finally had time to develop a test kit for 95/96 models and had graciously let me be the one to help him test it out for accuracy and functionality. It's allllllllmost perfect, save for a small fix that he's working on now and looks like he thinks the kit should be ready soon for other 95/96 NSX's!! (and according to his thread, the 97-05 kits are also almost there too!)

Have to say his work on these kits is nothing short of exceptional and professional!

I'm very glad that you agreed on helping me test this, and that the kit seems to meet your quality expectations!

Best regards,

Hello 8R6 - Your photos of your wrap is inspiring because I was debating on whether or not I should take on a similar project. After seeing your photos, I decided to give the green light and go for it. I can confirm that your quote of 50+ hrs is not an understatement. I have lost count on how many hours I have spent. Still work in progress.

Thanks for your in progress photos. I was wondering how you did the front grill. I am assuming you used knife-less tape to cut around the grill opening. Yes?

Did you do wrap the area behind the wheels (running board and rear bumper) in sections in case rocks get kicked up and damage the wrap. In an effort to try to think ahead, I thought it would be easier to replace those small sections instead of rewrapping the entire running board or rear bumper. The down side is that, I have a slight line or seem.

Anyways, well done on the car updates and thanks for the motivational photos of your project.

Hello 8R6 - Your photos of your wrap is inspiring because I was debating on whether or not I should take on a similar project. After seeing your photos, I decided to give the green light and go for it. I can confirm that your quote of 50+ hrs is not an understatement. I have lost count on how many hours I have spent. Still work in progress.

Thanks for your in progress photos. I was wondering how you did the front grill. I am assuming you used knife-less tape to cut around the grill opening. Yes?

Did you do wrap the area behind the wheels (running board and rear bumper) in sections in case rocks get kicked up and damage the wrap. In an effort to try to think ahead, I thought it would be easier to replace those small sections instead of rewrapping the entire running board or rear bumper. The down side is that, I have a slight line or seem.

Anyways, well done on the car updates and thanks for the motivational photos of your project.

hey thanks man! and yeah, the number of hours to do this is no joke huh? haha.

Yes, i used knifeless tape when doing all the front bumper inlays for the front grille area and side openings. And for the side skirt, i did it in one piece. Honestly i didnt even think about the rock chips happening behind the wheels, but i think itll be ok as i dont drive the car everyday. The front and rear bumpers however, i did do it in two pieces though because i wasnt professional enough to stretch the vinyl properly using one piece. lol. And because of this, unfortunately i do have a seam thats visible (in person) on both bumpers.

One of the most important tip/advice i can give though is, please make sure to properly squeegee and post heat all the surfaces and especially curves. this is where a thermometer gun and a decent heat gun will be super helpful. this step is pretty tedious and boring, but if you dont post heat properly then i can almost guarantee that there will be surface lifts and/or slight bubbles that will appear in the concave curves.

Good luck man and let me know how the progress goes! if you need any additional tips or insight, feel free to ask me anytime. i can help share what mistakes i made so you can avoid it hahah. If you have instagram, i have more progress photos from start to finish posted - @brg_nsx Another prime member (his instagram is "nsxsicle") wrapped his car too and he actually started a week before me. he helped me a lot in giving tips on avoiding mistakes he made too lol. so hopefully you can avoid the mistakes both of us made!

Back