• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sound system problems and possible solutions....

I want to find out what I need to do in order to put an in-dash CD player into the dash of my NSX...

Do I have to replace the speakers if I have an aftermarket CD player in the dash since the after market players push 40+ watts per channel??

Where can I find a template to modify the dash trim in order to fit the CD player?

At the same time I want to refinish the trim pieces and paint them silver... I know Chris @ Science Of Speed has done this..>
Chris, what does it take to refinish the dash parts and how much did it cost you? My dash pieces are peeling and its buggin me.

I'm not sure if I trust any of the high-school kids around here that work at the local hifi buys or circut city to do the CD player install for me....

I also am having problems with my CD changer... no matter what I have done (believe me i've done everything short of taking it apart or having it sent of - which is my last resort) my CD changer skips for no friggen reason.. I've tried cleaning the lens to no avail... check the springs.... they're fine. What else should I do?

What does it take to "repair" a skipping CD changer?

I may just end up replacing it... which leads me to my next question:

Can I use the existing CD changer cable to use with a new CD changer connected to the new in-dash CD player?

I know this is alot of questions but I'm sure alot of us are asking the same things... just not getting the information layed out in an easy-to-read thread....

Thanks for the input -Electro

What does it take to "repair" a skipping CD changer?

See the "Sound System" section of the FAQ (under the "Troubleshooting" heading). About halfway down, there's a section in it called "How Can I Stop The CD Player From Skipping?"

I just adjusted the springs to be in the middle... instead of perpendicular to the ground... so we'll see how that works out...

-Electro

[This message has been edited by Electro (edited 07 August 2001).]

Ok so adjusting the springs does nothing... I've read the FAQ 15 times and have found nothing to help me on this.... so I guess i'm going to have to replace the damned thing.

Anyone have any answers for me on my other questions?

-Electro

Try cleaning the lens with compressed air?

re: replacing speakers w/ aftermarket CD player - I believe you can just run pre-amp outputs to the factory BOSE amp/speaker units. I don't think they use a special input voltage do they? However, you are going in the wrong direction here. The OEM head unit is the best part of the factory stereo. The speakers and amps are what suck.

Re: trim pieces - you just have to pull the center console apart a bit. It's not too complicated. You don't have to do anything else but have them painted and re-install. You may want to do some light sanding, etc. to cut the cost down a bit so the painter doesn't have to do it.

Originally posted by Lud:
Try cleaning the lens with compressed air?

re: However, you are going in the wrong direction here. The OEM head unit is the best part of the factory stereo. The speakers and amps are what suck.

The thing is that I want to be able to have an in-dash CD player that I can load cd's into without having to get out of the car and reload the CD changer... plus i want a cd player that will play mp3's... already have a few i've been looking at.

So I guess the pre-amp outputs of the aftermarket cd player should be fine for the stock speakers...

But if I wanted to replace the speakers what will fit in the doors with the least amount of modification?

-Electro

Originally posted by Electro:
The thing is that I want to be able to have an in-dash CD player that I can load cd's into without having to get out of the car and reload the CD changer... plus i want a cd player that will play mp3's... already have a few i've been looking at.

So I guess the pre-amp outputs of the aftermarket cd player should be fine for the stock speakers...

But if I wanted to replace the speakers what will fit in the doors with the least amount of modification?

-Electro

Electro: This is the set up that I have.
Sound System:
Alpine Head unit, Equalizer, Amplifier and CD-Changer/Mounted on the Glove Box.
MB Quart Speakers Door 6.5 and Center 4.5
JL Audio 10" Bass.
http://www.jeepoutfitters.com/crazy4/nsx18.jpg

Regards,
Enrique Thompson
Crazy4Cars Racing

FYI: I have the Aiwa CDC-MP3 player, which plays MP3 data CD's as well as normal music CDs. Once you install an MP3 player in your car, you won't want to change back...normal CDs just don't hold enough data for me. I'll take 700 minutes of music over 74 minutes any day of the week
smile.gif

From my experience, I would have gone the Sony route instead....the Aiwa player doesn't remember what point you were at in a song when you shut it off, so it starts at the beginning every time. VERY ANNOYING. The Sony model doesn't do this.

The Kenwood's seemed VERY overpriced for what they deliver. Look into the Sony models instead....you won't be dissapointed.

Originally posted by bartonkt:
FYI: I have the Aiwa CDC-MP3 player, which plays MP3 data CD's as well as normal music CDs. Once you install an MP3 player in your car, you won't want to change back...normal CDs just don't hold enough data for me. I'll take 700 minutes of music over 74 minutes any day of the week
smile.gif

From my experience, I would have gone the Sony route instead....the Aiwa player doesn't remember what point you were at in a song when you shut it off, so it starts at the beginning every time. VERY ANNOYING. The Sony model doesn't do this.

The Kenwood's seemed VERY overpriced for what they deliver. Look into the Sony models instead....you won't be dissapointed.

Did you end up replacing your factory speakers also? If so, what did it cost you or how long did it take you to re-wire the system for the new speakers?

I really want to be able to play mp3's in my car... since i have over 500 hours of mp3's on my PC!

Also, does your CD/mp3 player have a CD changer controller too?

Thanks, Electro

All I Want is a center console piece that is DIN compatible!!!! HOW COME NOBODY MAKES ONE? I know there is a market for this..... everyone I know has had the desire to tamper with the stock stereo system. CHRIS! PLEASE MAKE A SOS Center console piece. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by bartonkt:
smile.gif

Pah, 700 minutes? I've got 20,000 minutes in my NSX... a 20GB rio-car (www.riohome.com). Some people have upgraded theirs to 96GB units, which is over 2 months of music without repeating, 24 hours a day
wink.gif

Hugo
(ok, ok, so I was involved in designing it. It's still cool...)

Back