• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX LED Headlights?

My solution was to design and 3D print LED-specific dust caps:

IMG_4598.jpg

All wiring is hidden in the housing for an OEM look.

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

The LED fan pulls cooling air through the rear vent. The air passes through the heat sink and exits via the two side vents.

IMG_4604.jpg

Looks very OEM.

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_20200801_101546.jpg

Russ back in the house!!!!

This looks awesome! Do they lock in place like oem?

Thank you. Yes they do, the bayonet design is faithfully recreated for a secure fit.

I've gotten a number of requests to sell these, which is humbling, but I don't have any plans (aka time) to do so at the moment.

One of the concerns is not all LED bulbs have the same size heat sink, so the caps may work with some bulbs but not others. Although it's possible to change cap depth in the 3D model to create individualized caps, this takes time and there's no guarantee the caps will work with your particular bulbs. I'd have to come up with an ordering process which again takes time.

Some have asked which bulbs I used, so that they might use the exact same bulbs to get the same fit. I bought the bulbs for this project two years ago (JDM Astar 9006 low and 9005 high). Of course with the short product lifecycles in the LED market the ones I used are no longer available.

In fact with current LED technology special caps might be unnecessary. Check out these LED bulbs, they use the same form factor as halogens and should fit under the factory cap: https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Lumens-Extremely-Bright/dp/B07SPDMHHX

BTW I've tried a number of LED brands and JDM Astar make consistently reliable, great-performing products at a reasonable price. I had an issue with an earlier set I tried and they were very accommodating and made it right.

Overall I'm really happy with LED headlights. Having instant-on pure white high beams is awesome, and coverage is excellent. As for the low beams, it took several tries to get LEDs that work with the projector pattern of the NSX low beam. LED bulbs have a side-to-side pattern while halogens emit light 360° around. In reflector housings this is no big deal, but in the NSX projector housing this causes some 9006 LEDs to generate a low beam pattern that is dim, narrow and unsafe. So for your low beams, you want a bulb that emits light in a 360° pattern or close to it, and you want to get the highest-lumen bulb you can find. Also make sure to re-adjust your headlights afterwards to optimize low beam coverage and to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.

-Russ

Can someone who has their headlight assembly on the bench let me know the distance between the recess in the housing where the bulb sits and the top of the rubber gasket that goes around the base of the cap?

2020_12_17_15_32_55.png

Can someone who has their headlight assembly on the bench let me know the distance between the recess in the housing where the bulb sits and the top of the rubber gasket that goes around the base of the cap?

View attachment 168060

I think [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] still has them on the "bench"

@Russ I know you're a very busy person; is it possible you'd share your 3D design specs? I'm thinking a 1 inch extension would the support the majority of bulbs out there.

Again, a very nice design!

Last edited:
Okay, PM your email address and I'll forward the .stl files. I created a range of sizes so you can pick whichever one fits your bulbs.

In for a pair of these dust caps plz [MENTION=4740]Russ[/MENTION]! I’ve installed Boslla LED and they are near identical to yours in form factor, heat sink size, protrusion and hidden wiring too. My OEM dust caps fit on with no issue but the ventilation is ingenious.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Done! http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/216287-Vented-Dust-Caps-for-LED-Headlights?p=2036244

Thingiverse link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4885847

If you don't have a 3D printer you can freely download the .STL files you need and have it printed at one of the many online 3D printing services.

Thank you for your generosity!

Just one question - how are the various sizes measured? Outside dimension from the bottom of the cap to the outside of the rear vent? Or something else?

Last edited:
Thank you for your generosity!

Just one question - how are the various sizes measured? Outside dimension from the bottom of the cap to the outside of the rear vent? Or something else?

My pleasure. It's the interior depth, from the base of the cap to the inside face of the back (the non vent portion).

Measure the distance from the mounting flange of the LED to the end of the heat sink. From that subtract the dimension I asked for 12 posts up. Then choose the next largest cap size.

Last edited:
Not all heroes wear capes. Many thanks from someone who had some sub-optimal covers 3d printed that I then modified a bit to fit my LED bulbs. Will definitely have my local printer churn me out a few of these as a far better solution.

I got the bigger cups for the high beams. Everything looks great now!

IMG_9524.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9524.jpg
    IMG_9524.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Back