• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX LED Headlights?

Just wondering if anyone has installed LED Headlights or done any research on them. I did a search on here but didn't find much.

There’s a few options. But they require modified dust boots to accommodate the heat sinks. I forget who, but there is a member here who did this recently.

I think [MENTION=31515]Kenwould[/MENTION] did this mod.

I did LEDs several years ago. I did both the low and high beams. The NSX OEM cups are very narrow so I had to modify them and added rubber cups so that the entire LED assembly fit behind the headlights.

I just had to take them apart in order to get them adjusted correctly.

I bought the lights on Amazon and made sure to get the best ones that were the most white.

I attached the cups with good waterproof tape. Some of the guys may have custom cups. I know at the Florida NSXPO there was a guy who has a company that does the modification.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f205c09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f205c09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

View attachment 150179View attachment 150178<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f205c09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f205c09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Does anyone make an NSX specific kit for both high and low beams? Don't want to get into modding them myself, would prefer an already proven system. Maybe a nice little "venture" for someone to get into?

Hello Kenwould
Thanks for posting photos of your setup. How are your LEDs cooled? Are there heatsinks that protrude form the back of the bulb?

I bought the Hikari 2020 series for my low beams. I'll report back when I install and use them.

I recently purchased and installed Boslla Bullet B1 for low beam on my 97 flip up. I did have to remove the OEM headlight terminal connector since space inside the dust-cap is limited, but happy to report that after a bit of Tetris fandangling, the dust caps close and secure fine w/o modification. These do not come attached with a relay box of any sort, so that helped a bunch. While I was at it, I added Crown 1156 P21W LED Bulbs to my cart. Very satisfied.

I installed my Morimoto LED headlights, that I bought from https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and the install was pretty easy and plug and play. However the dust caps for my 92 NSX, no longer fit. Are the dust caps necessary?

Yes, for longevity.

There was someone on FB selling 3D printed extended dust caps which fit LED bulbs.

Update for my previous post. I emailed www.theretrofitsource.com about the dust caps not fitting with the LED wiring. They responded quickly and sent me dust cap extenders that were too small. But at least they tried. Currently I left the dust caps off. I could squeeze all the wires together to make them fit but I think the heat generated might cause a problem with that. So for now they're just out in the open. Anyone else have similar issues. Or have dust caps that actually fit all the LED wiring?

I installed rubber dust caps when I did mine. I cut out the old caps and attached these on top. I measured the diameter of the OEM caps and got these. My low beam and high beams are both LED.

IMG_5378.jpgIMG_5375.jpg

It was a long time ago. I think I stumbled onto them in an internet search. When I did them I cut open the OEM caps and attached the cups to those. I ordered another set so I could reverse the mod if necessary.

I think if you put the diameter of the cups needed in a search you may be able to find something online.

Try this site to start: https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr...MI08ma7b__6wIVkuDICh3piw4xEAQYFiABEgK_Q_D_BwE

Again measure the diameter of the opening and then get the caps. I used water proof tape to adhere them to the caps. They seem to be holding up fine. My car sees very little rain since it lives in the garage.

Last edited:
Hey Kenwould, where did you get those dust caps from?

Caps are available from VLEDs.

This is what I did with mine. Ignore the slot at the bottom of the high beam housing - that was an early cut and was not necessary. In all of the housings I wound up cutting the slot in the top through which to run the wires and then sealed them with silicone.

IMG_3847.jpgIMG_3845.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see the ingenious and clever solutions for the dust caps.

Is there any concern about cooling requirements for the LEDs? In the photo from the above post, there is a heat sink and fan. My concern would be enough airflow behind the dust cap to allow proper cooling.
I'm sure different LED run at different operating temperatures and maybe some are cooler than others. I suggest doing a test run and monitor the heat coming off the LED lights, just to make sure they do not prematurely fail or something worst due to overheating.

Other than that, nice to see folks adding modern advantages for our old machines.

Is there any concern about cooling requirements for the LEDs? In the photo from the above post, there is a heat sink and fan. My concern would be enough airflow behind the dust cap to allow proper cooling.
I'm sure different LED run at different operating temperatures and maybe some are cooler than others. I suggest doing a test run and monitor the heat coming off the LED lights, just to make sure they do not prematurely fail or something worst due to overheating.

Other than that, nice to see folks adding modern advantages for our old machines.

According to the VLEDs website, their Micro Extreme LEDs can safely run behind a dust cap.

The dust caps are super cheap, so we can experiment. I was thinking about drilling some vent holes in them that would permit airflow for the cooling fans but keep most of the dust/water out. But I think I'm just going to run the low beams without caps and see how it goes.

Clear Corner L.E.Ds installed about 10 years ago
2e02bdf342295ee9ccce5238dc0e17ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

LED headlight Update

Update, sorry it took so long. I got another set of dust cap extenders from https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and they work pretty good. I modified them and cut the bottom a little bit to pull out the extra part of the LED cables. So now that hangs out the back and everything else remains inside the dust cap. I drove around today without securing the dust caps and they didn't move. I might just leave them they way they are. I'll take pictures and post later.

Back