• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Saving a Zanardi’s life

The Jedi master of NSX repair, Joe Lomoriello of Vince’s Autobody in Poughkeepsie, New York, is breathing new life into this unfortunate Zanardi......

4C68575F-5B36-4DC5-B788-2897B2AA64A9.jpg

F01B4236-68FA-47D7-96CF-2C585B7C6F27.jpg

634632F3-4B83-4DC1-BDD9-CB16EF13F4BE.jpg

1027DC09-582C-40C8-855C-F5A19C2D1FA8.jpg

F546F713-EC97-4B53-9B61-62379120F321.jpg

274388FB-59E1-4857-A02C-F9B0B4E609B4.jpg

:frown: OUCH! Those photos are tough to view.

Good fortune to this NSX's owner and Joe. Thank Heaven for Joe - no where else I would ever go.

fu$& up that is.....fix it he will.......

Looks like this cars was totaled 8 months ago! Where has it been since June of 2017

The settlement was being negotiated. The car ended up at another member's home in the interim (he was the person doing all the negotiations) and shipped once settled.

Zanardi notes I keep for all 51 Zanardi's already showed accidents on 3/4/03 and 4/6/06 for this particular VIN. Hope they can make it look new again.

Bob

Last edited:
That can be buffed out.

subscribed...anticipation an amazing project.
Thank you for saving this rare car :)

this should become the first of the "refresh" program:wink:

this should become the first of the "refresh" program:wink:

That's it! Fixing the dash and refinishing the intake cover now. Took items off left apron to prepare for measure and chassis re-alignment. We will NOT be splicing the replacement rail but installing the OEM complete assembly (side member and shock tower) The drivers side floor will need some work to be ready to accept the rail at original factory locations.

As we get into this I will be posting pics of the latter and before/after unibody specifications.View attachment 151476
BTW I've observed more than a few build here and I wanted to point out the correct way to mount a NSX for unibody pulls/repair. This pic shows what was popular on then model Honda cars ie., a "horizontal pinch weld". This dual clamp mount holds both the horizontal pinch weld and the under rocker clamp/jack mounts. This positively holds the vehicle so the pulling force does not effect the mount/hold down point area. It really doesn't matter what brand of rack one has but this is how a 1st Gen NSX is properly mounted and held for chassis alignment.

Last edited:
Excellent Joe. A car worth saving....but I reckon any NSX is worth saving!.

I can hardly wait to see how beautiful this Zanardi becomes.

I am as sad as everyone else to see the car in its present state, but also kind of happy because... that means it was out being DRIVEN!!!

The worst thing that can happen to these things is not an accident, but for them to sit in the garage and not get used.

Drive it, and if you wreck it, fix I and keep driving it :) just make sure it gets fixed by the best which we all know is what's happening to this one.

Is this the one from Indiana that was driven frequently? If so, I hope the owner is doing better last I heard from Mitch was that the owner was in serious condition.

Good of luck on the refresh

Looks amazing! Can't believe what you are doing.
Please keep the pictures and status coming!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/22e9de41/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/22e9de41/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Measuring and structure alignment beginsView attachment 151501View attachment 151502

In the first pic you see the tech measuring a control point on the left side member. One click and he will know the height, width and length of this and any point he so chooses. It will let him know any variance as little as 1 millimeter in any of those three dimensions. The second pic shows him hooking up for preliminary pulls. Here he'll be pulling and applying pressure in two directions at once all the while he can monitor the changes in the control points by observing the changes on the computer screen, seen just beyond the car. It's pretty cool. It gives both visual and audible prompts of the progress.

Last edited:
Tough to look at those wrecked pictures, but glad to hear the car is being resurrected. Hope the driver made it through the crash ok. Is the New Formula Red paint still available?

Tough to look at those wrecked pictures, but glad to hear the car is being resurrected. Hope the driver made it through the crash ok. Is the New Formula Red paint still available?
We blend our own water based paint so every formula is available.
Here's today's pics of the chassis correction. The roof has come down and the panels are starting to be where they should. Now we do another set of measuring to address the twist in the rails. View attachment 151559View attachment 151560View attachment 151561View attachment 151562

Back