• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Took a 1300 mile trip in our Noveulle Blue NSX and got to intimately get to know her!

We recently picked up a 2017 Noveulle Blue NSX and took her on a 1300 mile road trip. Up to this point, we've been driving this car around town with our friend's car so haven't noticed many of these quirks / features of the car so wanted to write a follow-up.

Background info - we have driven this car quite a few times so this is not a new driver thing but when you spend nearly a whole day behind the wheel doing a road trip by yourself you really get to notice all the little things about a car. In this case we found some really cool things (by luck and chance in some cases) to other things just from repetition. We found ourselves at the gas pump quite often for example. During this trip the weather was adventurous to say the least...we ran into sunshine, snow, fog, heavy rain, high winds in the desert and finally snow again in Lake Tahoe area at night. This is not something you would do in most exotics but then again the 2017 NSX is not like most exotics. It handled pretty much everything effortlessly.

Pluses:

a) Car seats are extremely comfortable! We would never attempt this in any other exotic but didn't hesitate with this NSX. My back was pretty good considering just some fatigue giving the long drive.

b) Very good visible at high speed passing, quick lane changes in heavy traffic. There is virtually no blind spot in this car which is important in day to day traffic. The Huracan had horrible blind spots in comparison.

c) We got 18.9 mpg on the 1300 mile road trip driving pretty conservative (Wyoming has a 80mph speed limit!)

d) ELS audio system is amazing, don't see any need to upgrade

e) The CarPlay interface allows the computer to read text messages to you and you can dictate a reply all from the touchscreen on the car, never have to touch my phone, AMAZING!

f) Trunk is pretty good size with roomy front seats but car lacks some storage in the door sections

g) Car is smart, won't let you lock a key in the trunk if you try to close it, pops up automatically. It happened to us 3 times before we realized the spare key was in the backpack and had to remove it

h) The car is effortless at accelerating and cruising at triple digit speeds if needed.

i) Valentine 1 radar works well in this car, none of the electronics interfere with the V1. Saved us at least 3 times on the trip

j) We were super lucky this car is either frugal on gas or the designers thought of people like us. We were driving in the middle of the salt flats (desert) with nothing around when we noticed the gas was down to 36 miles range. We quickly looked on our NAV and nearest gas station was 56 miles away. When the gauge dropped to 0 miles range, we were nervous to say the least, dropped to 65mph and drove with a steady grip praying......those last 20 miles to the gas station was the longest 20 miles. Luckily the car made it without having to go to electric power. Not even sure if the car can cover 20 miles with electric only power and no gas?

Ok now to the bad things which can hopefully be fixed:

1) Wind leakage noise is pretty apparent and bad - it was coming from both windows near the side mirrors and started around 60mph and comes and goes. Definitely need to have dealer address this, we read about this from another owner, how was it fixed?

2) The car has a relatively short range with 280 miles. We had to fill the tank quite a few times over the 1300 mile trip. Good news is when it does read 0 miles you can still cover roughly 20 miles on empty without any issues (don't ask how we found out, along with a few white hairs and knuckles) - See line J

3) The ride quality reminded us of our F80 m3 in Track Mode. The ride was rough and and pretty stuff. Running over the lane bumps really woke you up immediately. The bad here is even in Sport mode, the ride doesn't change. So all 3 modes is same suspension feel.

4) We wish you can engage "D" by holding both paddles back (same as Huracan and McLaren) - Call it habit but we really had to get used to hitting the D button everytime

5) Paddles should be larger and prefer mounting to the steering column. The longer paddles we will address shortly with extended CF paddles!

6) Stock Conti tires are HORRIBLE grip. We had to slow down quite a bit for the snow when we felt the back slip

7) Exhaust note in all 3 modes is the same, very quiet which is quite disappointing. No comparison to the Huracan or even the Turbo McLaren which we thought was quiet too

8) Gas socket we noticed was extremely small and the lower portion of the pump handle sometimes would touch the paint, not sure why Acura made it this way but it's a bad design you have to be careful when pumping gas depending on where you go

Overall take: If we had to do this trip again, we would grab the keys to the NSX EVERY TIME! The biggest gripe is the wind noise from both windows. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE for a $200k car to have this issue. For those who have not heard this, it sounds like an s2000 with a hardtop that is not properly sealed. It's quite bothersome and on a long trip sucks

Besides the wind noise, the car was awesome - even the cupholders worked extremely well! This car with a new set of rubber is really a capable car and can do pretty much anything whether you want to cruise around town or hit the track. Even as a sport touring car it would be fine for 2 people on a weekend trip as long as you don't pack too heavy.

Leaving Denver and into Wyoming this was the view, perfect weather, about 45 degrees and open road:

Wyoming has a really cool 80mph speed limit and a statue of Abe Lincoln, who would have guessed!

Love the cup holders in this car, holds everything:

Going into Salt Lake City, this sucker was covering distances and making short work of the twisties:

One of the many fuel stops, this one was the one we barely made with those borrowed 20 miles on empty:

Stunning view right after the heavy rain storm as we were leaving Utah for Nevada:

Last edited:
We recently picked up a 2017 Noveulle Blue NSX and took her on a 1300 mile road trip. Up to this point, we've been driving this car around town with our friend's car so haven't noticed many of these quirks / features of the car so wanted to write a follow-up.

Background info - we have driven this car quite a few times so this is not a new driver thing but when you spend nearly a whole day behind the wheel doing a road trip by yourself you really get to notice all the little things about a car. In this case we found some really cool things (by luck and chance in some cases) to other things just from repetition. We found ourselves at the gas pump quite often for example. During this trip the weather was adventurous to say the least...we ran into sunshine, snow, fog, heavy rain, high winds in the desert and finally snow again in Lake Tahoe area at night. This is not something you would do in most exotics but then again the 2017 NSX is not like most exotics. It handled pretty much everything effortlessly.

Pluses:

a) Car seats are extremely comfortable! We would never attempt this in any other exotic but didn't hesitate with this NSX. My back was pretty good considering just some fatigue giving the long drive.

b) Very good visible at high speed passing, quick lane changes in heavy traffic. There is virtually no blind spot in this car which is important in day to day traffic. The Huracan had horrible blind spots in comparison.

c) We got 18.9 mpg on the 1300 mile road trip driving pretty conservative (Wyoming has a 80mph speed limit!)

d) ELS audio system is amazing, don't see any need to upgrade

e) The CarPlay interface allows the computer to read text messages to you and you can dictate a reply all from the touchscreen on the car, never have to touch my phone, AMAZING!

f) Trunk is pretty good size with roomy front seats but car lacks some storage in the door sections

g) Car is smart, won't let you lock a key in the trunk if you try to close it, pops up automatically. It happened to us 3 times before we realized the spare key was in the backpack and had to remove it

h) The car is effortless at accelerating and cruising at triple digit speeds if needed.

i) Valentine 1 radar works well in this car, none of the electronics interfere with the V1. Saved us at least 3 times on the trip

j) We were super lucky this car is either frugal on gas or the designers thought of people like us. We were driving in the middle of the salt flats (desert) with nothing around when we noticed the gas was down to 36 miles range. We quickly looked on our NAV and nearest gas station was 56 miles away. When the gauge dropped to 0 miles range, we were nervous to say the least, dropped to 65mph and drove with a steady grip praying......those last 20 miles to the gas station was the longest 20 miles. Luckily the car made it without having to go to electric power. Not even sure if the car can cover 20 miles with electric only power and no gas?

Ok now to the bad things which can hopefully be fixed:

1) Wind leakage noise is pretty apparent and bad - it was coming from both windows near the side mirrors and started around 60mph and comes and goes. Definitely need to have dealer address this, we read about this from another owner, how was it fixed?

2) The car has a relatively short range with 280 miles. We had to fill the tank quite a few times over the 1300 mile trip. Good news is when it does read 0 miles you can still cover roughly 20 miles on empty without any issues (don't ask how we found out, along with a few white hairs and knuckles) - See line J

3) The ride quality reminded us of our F80 m3 in Track Mode. The ride was rough and and pretty stuff. Running over the lane bumps really woke you up immediately. The bad here is even in Sport mode, the ride doesn't change. So all 3 modes is same suspension feel.

4) We wish you can engage "D" by holding both paddles back (same as Huracan and McLaren) - Call it habit but we really had to get used to hitting the D button everytime

5) Paddles should be larger and prefer mounting to the steering column. The longer paddles we will address shortly with extended CF paddles!

6) Stock Conti tires are HORRIBLE grip. We had to slow down quite a bit for the snow when we felt the back slip

7) Exhaust note in all 3 modes is the same, very quiet which is quite disappointing. No comparison to the Huracan or even the Turbo McLaren which we thought was quiet too

8) Gas socket we noticed was extremely small and the lower portion of the pump handle sometimes would touch the paint, not sure why Acura made it this way but it's a bad design you have to be careful when pumping gas depending on where you go

Overall take: If we had to do this trip again, we would grab the keys to the NSX EVERY TIME! The biggest gripe is the wind noise from both windows. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE for a $200k car to have this issue. For those who have not heard this, it sounds like an s2000 with a hardtop that is not properly sealed. It's quite bothersome and on a long trip sucks

Besides the wind noise, the car was awesome - even the cupholders worked extremely well! This car with a new set of rubber is really a capable car and can do pretty much anything whether you want to cruise around town or hit the track. Even as a sport touring car it would be fine for 2 people on a weekend trip as long as you don't pack too heavy.

Leaving Denver and into Wyoming this was the view, perfect weather, about 45 degrees and open road:

Wyoming has a really cool 80mph speed limit and a statue of Abe Lincoln, who would have guessed!

Love the cup holders in this car, holds everything:

Going into Salt Lake City, this sucker was covering distances and making short work of the twisties:

One of the many fuel stops, this one was the one we barely made with those borrowed 20 miles on empty:

Stunning view right after the heavy rain storm as we were leaving Utah for Nevada:

sir you are the first person to say that the ride of the 2017 nsx is rough in all mode's . i have read from other drivers that in sport mode which is the default ride it ride's very good . did you check your tire pressure?

As I've already said on FB, CONGRATS! Glad you're enjoying.

sir you are the first person to say that the ride of the 2017 nsx is rough in all mode's . i have read from other drivers that in sport mode which is the default ride it ride's very good . did you check your tire pressure?

Ride quality is always subjective so a few things....

At the beginning of the trip, the ride quality was not noticeable but when you spend 15+ hours sitting in the same car, you start to feel things that either may be due to being more sensitive or just being tired but those bumps especially over the lane bumps just seemed more much harsh. We did notice the car communicated road imperfections very well.

For an exotic car, this isn't necessary a bad thing but rather a compliment. Very few people want to take a McLaren or Lamborghini on a long road trip because of all the difficulties from exhaust note, ride quality and lack of visibility. All of these cars ride harsh but the NSX is probably the best choice of the bunch.

The tire pressure at time of trip was 32 pSI on all 4 tires. Don't think this was a contributing factor.

+1 on the wind noise, terrible for a $200K car (mine has even been in service for the "fix")....JM2C...I could be wrong...NOT....:tongue:

Congrats!

Gotta disagree on the ELS system though. Pretty garbage. For the price of the tech package I had an aftermarket system put into my old NSX that sounds waaaaaaay better. That's what I was comparing it to and it came up very short so it got ripped out a month into my ownership. Very happy with what went in its place, though. The sound system should be as advanced as the sci-fi powertrain and it just isn't.

Glad to hear you are having fun adventures with the car.

The Sinclair Gas station brought me back to my childhood.

They were in MA for a while in the 60s/70s and when you got a fill up they gave your a dino shaped bar of soap.

I thought the ride was acceptable. Certainly not amazing, especially for magnetic dampers and I agree... not nearly as bad as the NVH transfer of a 12C, which they later addressed in the 650S. The 12C has this awful metal-to-metal resonance that vibrates the entire chassis as it goes over the bots dots. I think that's a NVH issue.. not exactly a ride quality issue but related.

I think the NSX ride is on the harsh side, but that's what you expect from a car built to perform on the track. It would have been nice if they could have softened up the suspension by mode. In Colorado here, as in all Northern states I'm sure, the roads are terrible with potholes, cracks, depressions, etc. The road in to my house from the main street jars me, even at 25mph...... But on a smoother road/highway it glides along beautifully.......

Hey I figured it out. Finally understood this was an avatar and not the profile pic....... Duh

Last edited:
I think the NSX ride is on the harsh side, but that's what you expect from a car built to perform on the track. It would have been nice if they could have softened up the suspension by mode. In Colorado here, as in all Northern states I'm sure, the roads are terrible with potholes, cracks, depressions, etc. The road in to my house from the main street jars me, even at 25mph...... But on a smoother road/highway it glides along beautifully.......

Makes you wonder though... My aftermarket suspension, albeit on the high end side, can be manually adjusted to ride like a El Dorado or a Race car. So I'd have thought with a $150k+ car...

Glad to hear you are having fun adventures with the car.

The Sinclair Gas station brought me back to my childhood.

They were in MA for a while in the 60s/70s and when you got a fill up they gave your a dino shaped bar of soap.

Dino shaped bar of soap ~ WOW! :) Didn't now this gas station has so much history but it was the most welcome sight with ZERO range showing on the dash for 20 miles! Another engineering feat by Acura because it was my the Huracan we are pretty sure we'd be stranded!

Driving through of Denver, the roads weren't that bad, seen much worse before. From our experience with the R8's with mag ride and the Huracan / Mclaren's - the car can be adjusted through the driving modes and it would feel different for sure. Very surprised the NSX adjustments from Sport to Sport+ did nothing in terms of ride quality. We ended up driving it in Track mode 30% of the time on the twists and rest of the trip in Sport+ mode. The exhaust tone changes during Sport+ but most certainly not enough sadly. We are hoping a good aftermarket exhaust will solve some of this problem. The plus side is on the highway the car is perfect except for the wind noise. Will call our local Acura dealer later this week, thanks!

Dino shaped bar of soap ~ WOW! :) Didn't now this gas station has so much history but it was the most welcome sight with ZERO range showing on the dash for 20 miles! Another engineering feat by Acura because it was my the Huracan we are pretty sure we'd be stranded!
ChrisN confirmed it will not run without gas.

ChrisN confirmed it will not run without gas.

Interesting, that sucks! How did he confirm out of curiosity? haha

Don't think this situation will present itself again but it's nice to know the car has roughly 20 miles range after it hits ZERO range.

Great story

That’s a great story. It reminds me of our 1250 mile trip home from buying our 2000 NSX in Ft Lauderdale. My NSX is the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

We just test drove a ‘17 Novelle Blue today. We only went about 20 miles but here are my thought.

In default sport mode I find it “clunky”. I do not like the engine kicking in and out during around town driving. In sports plus it gets quite loud in the cabin. Not the musical sound of my ‘00. There is a rattle in the “a” pillar that drive me crazy. On the plus side, it’s a gorgeous fast car.

This particular car is driven by a local Acura dealership owner. He has put 1200 miles on it and will sell it to me as a certified used car for $148k. Original sticker is $202k. Too much carbon fiber that I have no interest in. I don’t like the CF spoiler. Also, the “flower” wheels are not something I would order.

What do you think of the deal? My ‘00 would have a garage buddy.

Thanks for your great road trip story.

That’s a great story. It reminds me of our 1250 mile trip home from buying our 2000 NSX in Ft Lauderdale. My NSX is the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

We just test drove a ‘17 Novelle Blue today. We only went about 20 miles but here are my thought.

In default sport mode I find it “clunky”. I do not like the engine kicking in and out during around town driving. In sports plus it gets quite loud in the cabin. Not the musical sound of my ‘00. There is a rattle in the “a” pillar that drive me crazy. On the plus side, it’s a gorgeous fast car.

This particular car is driven by a local Acura dealership owner. He has put 1200 miles on it and will sell it to me as a certified used car for $148k. Original sticker is $202k. Too much carbon fiber that I have no interest in. I don’t like the CF spoiler. Also, the “flower” wheels are not something I would order.

What do you think of the deal? My ‘00 would have a garage buddy.

Thanks for your great road trip story.
What does certified pre-owned get you? Extended warranty? Find out the exact warranty dates. Have they maintained it with oil changes, etc? Paint chips? The color combo didn’t do it for me with the chrome wheels and orchid interior (if it’s the same one I’m thinking of). You have to live with it. Sounds like it might not be what you want.

Most NSX owners want to make their cars louder. But if you want quieter highway cruising, just use "sport" mode. Which is mis-named; should be called Standard or Normal mode.

Thank you for the reply. I know about sport mode but then the engine is constantly kicking in and out. I find this makes the car “clunky”. I really don’t like sitting at a stop light in total silence—very weird!

I’m asking around if there’s a way to turn off either the noise or the clunk.

After my test drive I’m now not so hot on getting one. I was ready to do the deal tomorrow.

Back