• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

fender liner fasteners

I found the fender liner fasteners on my 1997 were a mess of different types and my anal retentiveness wants to get it all lined out. I've spent the day searching fasteners/clips/washers etc. but I'm missing some entirely so was hoping someone could help me out and we'd finally have a definitive guide to what you need if you're missing some.

The parts we need are:
91545-SE0-003
91545.jpg91545 desc.PNG

These were sourced from Auveco - part #19231 which are cheaper and will likely end up being easier to find than the 91545 part.

93903-253G0
253GO.jpg

90121-SA7-000
90121.jpg

This clip which I can't find a picture of:
74103-SL0-000
clip assembly.PNG

And evidently this washer but I have yet to find where it goes:

90312-SS1-003
90312.jpg

There are 15 fasteners on the front fender liner:
wheel fastener locations 2.jpg

I am hoping someone could spend a few minutes helping me with what goes where and I will edit this up for posterity.

Holes 3,4,6,7,8, and 10 are empty holes with no nylon female end so I am guessing these are either part 91545 or 93903 with the retainer clip but I must be missing all of the clips as I don't see any. Evidently there are 6 clips needed so does each side need 3 of these screws (93903) with a clip?

And where does the washer fit in? Is it the same washer that comes with part 90121?

Rear wheel

rear wheel fastener locations3.jpg

It looks like the plastic rivets (91545) are used in positions 2,3,4,5,9,10,11,12, and 13 and the screw (90121) is used in positions 1,6,7, and 8.

Last edited:
1 & 2 - screw with washer
3 & 4 - push rivet looks like 91545
5 - screw with washer looks like 90121
6 & 7 & 8 - push rivet looks like 91545
9 - screw with washer looks like 90121
10 - push rivet that looks slightly different from 91545
11 - screw with washer looks like 90121

Screws 1 & 2 have backing washers that look larger in diameter than 90121. On my car the washers do not appear to be black anodized; but, the black may have faded and everything was cover with road dust so hard to check.

You are missing four retainers close to the inside edge of the fender liner. They are located approximately across from fasteners #4 , #6 , #7 and #8 . On my car they are all push rivets; however, they look more like the rivets in position #10 than the 91545 rivets. They look just slightly smaller than 91545. 91545 might work.

I expect that the clip is a U clip required for use with the screws. However, I have never had my liners off so I can't be sure and therefore have no idea how many are required.

Fair warning - I have never taken my liners off; but they were removed when the front end was re-sprayed to deal with a million little stone chips. So - depending on the memory and skill of the body guy my retainers may not be exactly where they should be; but, the left and right sides match so at least he was consistent!

Thanks Old Guy. I see there are 5 more retainers on the inside of the lining on the rear which must be 91545. The parts diagram says 46 are needed. I'm still having trouble coming up with that number. It must be for the entire car and not just the fender linings.

If you need to buy a significant quantity of the 91545 push rivets, consider these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Bross-BCF1535-Pieces-Bumper-Retainer/dp/B0148TJRMU

If you need more than a couple, much cheaper than purchasing the OEM Honda parts. The rivet is the correct size for the hole so no problem with fitting. The overall diameter of the head / retainer is slightly larger (perhaps 2mm) than the OEM part. Available on Amazon.com; but, for some reason cheaper to purchase on Amazon.ca.

FYI: A box of exact match 91505-SL0-003 is the Auveco 19231. Box of 25 for about $16 + ship.

quick search source here
http://www.dixied.com/product7862.html

I saw the dixieland stuff when I got the Bross fasteners. Its a box of 15 not 25, which would still be OK. The problem is that Dixieland has a min order of $35, so it becomes $35 plus shipping. Of course, if you buy 7 boxes you get free shipping (in the continental US, not if you are like me north of 49) and a lifetime supply of push rivets (105) :smile:.

Guys,

Just at FYI, my local NAPA parts place carries just about every type of these made. They actually have a rack display dedicated to these types of clips/fasteners. I just take one with me, and match it. Has been very easy to find every one I have needed, very cheap too:).

HTH,
LarryB

While I don't need to repair my fender liners, this is a great post and kudos to [MENTION=34102]TxGlenn[/MENTION] for such a concise and well illustrated post. Props also to [MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION] for deciphering the numbered illustration. This should be valuable for anyone interested in re-doing the fasteners on their liners. This is what makes this forum so great.

Biggest plus of all . . . . the OP didn't bump a years old thread to ask the question. LOL.

Thanks mwagner10702. I was bouncing around between a dozen posts trying to get what I needed and they were full of broken links/pictures and outdated sites so hopefully I can get it all in one post.

I'd still like to find someone with an untouched example to see exactly where these other clips and washers are supposed to go.

Hmmm...so these things aren't exactly cheap, are they? I'm seriously considering ordering and replacing all four of my fender liners because they all have, to a varying extent, broken tabs and are beginning to sag below the fenders (unsightly). Thanks TxGlenn for the thread and all who have contributed!

Last edited:

Attachments

• clip total.jpg
    clip total.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
I just pulled out a screw and a pin from my low mile 2005, and measured carefully. My fender liners have a few flaws, so I'm probably going to replace them.

Anyway, looks like each front liner uses 5 screws and 10 nylon pins, and each rear uses 5 screws and 8 nylon pins.

In looking closely at the parts on my car, I think these are the matches- the pin is slightly different than the one shown in the previous posts. This place sells each in packages of 25.

I just ordered some, I'll update this after making sure they fit correctly.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Honda-Nissan-Push-Type-Retainer-14mm-Lgth-p/a16782.htm

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Honda-Specialty-Sems-Screw-M4-8-1-61-X-19mm-p/a20259.htm

Attachments

• screws.jpg
    screws.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
I have tried every aftermarket offering for NSX fender liners clips. They will go on and seem to hold,as do the Auveco, but they are not the same.

OEM fit exact and perfect while the aftermarket ones are not as tight. I found after a while some of the Auveco even fell out. They are just a little bit off.

I could not accept this, so, the extra money I felt made it worth getting the right ones for the customer.

Perhaps if I only had one car to deal with, say just my own, I might have sworn by the a/m clips as well but I could not have the clips popping off ANY car I repaired. The savings were not worth it to me.

It's not a taxi, get the right part, IF YOU CAN, that is.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I have used auveco fasteners and I agree with Joe. They just aren't quite right, don't fit as well, don't hold as well, and don't release as well. I've actually found that its almost impossible to release the auveco fender clips by pushing the middle in, the head is too big and will often snap off, so I had to use a knife to carefully pry the head outwards. I'm not buying that junk again, I'll just bend over and pay the price for OEM.

I have used auveco fasteners and I agree with Joe. They just aren't quite right, don't fit as well, don't hold as well, and don't release as well. I've actually found that its almost impossible to release the auveco fender clips by pushing the middle in, the head is too big and will often snap off, so I had to use a knife to carefully pry the head outwards. I'm not buying that junk again, I'll just bend over and pay the price for OEM.

I guess I got lucky- I used them all over my 91 and, as far as I know no problems. It's been almost 10 years. I'm using the leftovers from those boxes on my S Zero project and so far, they're holding fine.

Here's a pic of that, although I have no idea where it is used.....
See attached pic, looks to be (remnants of) clip 74103 - pic is of position 11 in OP's front fender liner diagram on my car.

I am not certain if it is used elsewhere in the liners. I suspect the majority of the screw type fasteners in the liners are the tap screws like 90121 (again, not sure). Notably the screw in the pic used with clip 74103 is not a tap screw, and looks to be 93903.

My apologies if it was bad practice to resurrect this years old thread. I came across it today as I started researching fasteners to replace the ones I seem to be missing and found the info here immensely helpful (so thanks again TxGlenn and everyone else that's contributed). Hopefully this adds a little clarity on this clip.

Attachments

• IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 23
See attached pic, looks to be (remnants of) clip 74103 - pic is of position 11 in OP's front fender liner diagram on my car.

I am not certain if it is used elsewhere in the liners. I suspect the majority of the screw type fasteners in the liners are the tap screws like 90121 (again, not sure). Notably the screw in the pic used with clip 74103 is not a tap screw, and looks to be 93903.

My apologies if it was bad practice to resurrect this years old thread. I came across it today as I started researching fasteners to replace the ones I seem to be missing and found the info here immensely helpful (so thanks again TxGlenn and everyone else that's contributed). Hopefully this adds a little clarity on this clip.
You actually exhibited GOOD forum etiquette! Having the discussion in one thread helps future people who are searching. Starting a new thread to talk about something already discussed just creates fractured discussions all over the place.

I just went through this with the S-Zero liners and something I didn't know that will hopefully help other owners is that new fender liners from Honda come with the 74103 clips pre-installed! I bought new clips (and screws and washers lol) and ended up not using them. Otherwise, the liners use the tap screws with the big washers at the side skirt (90121) and then the push clips (91545) everywhere else.

Back