• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing exterior door handle?

Hi Prime,

I’ve gone thru the wiki and service manuals but can’t figure out how to detach the latch inside the door. Can someone who’s done this before shed some light on the best way to remove the handle?

Much appreciated!

IMG_2490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Larry! Aside from taking out the obvious screws is there anything else that is needed to remove the handle?

What I do is spray the plastic (white piece) with a little WD40. Then take a pair of long nose pliers, grab the metal rod and pull. I use long nose pliers with a bend in the tip:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-204064450-_-206200670-_-N

The metal rod will pop out of the white plastic, and you are good to go.

HTH,
LarryB

You may want to remove the inner/outer weatherstrips for the window (inner chrome, outer black piece) The handle interconnects with that (just is under it) I find if I remove that (it is in the door with 4-5 black plastic clips) it lets the handle piece come out easier, and less chance of scratching anything:)......

Last edited:
Much appreciated Larry. So in short does this sound correct?

1) remove screws
2) remove outer plastic piece along the window that the handle interconnects with
3) Spray WD-40 on the latch then remove with a pair of long bent needle nose players
4) remove exterior handle

You may want to remove the inner/outer weatherstrips for the window (inner chrome, outer black piece) The handle interconnects with that (just is under it) I find if I remove that (it is in the door with 4-5 black plastic clips) it lets the handle piece come out easier, and less chance of scratching anything:)......

Not exactly the same question but I've read weatherstrip. I'm going to replace the door's one. Any hint what is involved?

1) remove screws
2) remove outer plastic piece along the window that the handle interconnects with
3) Spray WD-40 on the latch then remove with a pair of long bent needle nose players

That will do it:)...

Not exactly the same question but I've read weatherstrip. I'm going to replace the door's one. Any hint what is involved?

Please define "Weatherstrip". I was referring to the strip on the door at the base of the window (inner and outer)

Do you mean the entire weatherstrip around the window?

I have not had to replace these, but they are held on by "T" shaped clips, as well as a kind of "Button" clip, does seem pretty straightforward. I have had to remove the lower section during interior window work, like re-greasing the window tracks and it is pretty easy..
Thanks. My concern is more about the upper section as it touches other parts up there as well. We'll see...

1) remove screws

Do you have to roll the window down to get that outer black strip off?
Also, the black strip comes off before the door handle?

A bit late in responding.

Is the black strip you are referring to the long black aluminum trim piece with the rubber wiper that is at the base of the window on the outside? If so, yes the glass should be all the way down. That allows you to get your fingers in there so that you can pull up on the piece. I found the best way to get it off was apply a couple of layers of masking tape over the door paint at the base of the trim piece. Starting at one end and push some soft plastic wedges between the door skin and the base of the trim to start it moving up. Then use your fingers to gently pull up until you hear the first clip release. Then move down the door with the wedges and your fingers to release the next clip. The trick is to slowly pull the trim piece up without applying much bending moment to the trim. If you release one end and then try and pull up the trim from that end you will bend it (its aluminum and relatively soft) and it is a really expensive piece to replace.

If you are doing this just to replace the rear sash (piece with the handle) or do a latch replacement you don't need to completely remove the trim piece. You just need to pry it up enough to allow the rear sash piece to slide out and slide back in where it mates with the trim piece. If you do need to completely remove the trim piece, some of the white plastic clips that retain the trim on the door and I can pretty much guarantee that if they are original some of them will brake. You may want to have 2 or 3 new ones on hand.

The trim strip should be wedged up at the back first to allow you to remove the rear sash with ease. However, you can probably do the removal without wedging it up.

If you are removing the latch, Larry B. might have been able to get the latch retaining clips off without snapping them; but, I wasn't and I expect that most other NSX wrenchers who don't have deity status will snap the clips. Read all the details here:

You might want to plan to have replacement clips on hand ahead of time because they are an NSX only piece and typically not in stock. @stuntman had a nice solution where he 3D printed some new clips.

I know this is an old thread but props to showing a picture and being able to walk through the steps. I was stuck on not being able to pull the rod out of the plastic piece and then I tried something that I thought to pass along was getting a "blow dryer" on max heat to heat up the plastic and metal then pull. The whole door got really hot like it was 120 again here in Arizona :)

I am not very strong and even with the angled pliers I needed the heat to get that piece out. I too tried with Wd40 and Lithium grease.

Also, I was lucky that I did not break any of those white plastic clips on the trim. I did not have to pull the whole strip out but just lift part of it up.

So if anyone else ever gets stuck like I did, maybe the heat will help one as well.

I know this is an old thread but props to showing a picture and being able to walk through the steps. I was stuck on not being able to pull the rod out of the plastic piece and then I tried something that I thought to pass along was getting a "blow dryer" on max heat to heat up the plastic and metal then pull. The whole door got really hot like it was 120 again here in Arizona :)

I am not very strong and even with the angled pliers I needed the heat to get that piece out. I too tried with Wd40 and Lithium grease.

Also, I was lucky that I did not break any of those white plastic clips on the trim. I did not have to pull the whole strip out but just lift part of it up.

So if anyone else ever gets stuck like I did, maybe the heat will help one as well.
Good call out. I read through each response just to come here and say it, but you beat me to it. Heat will also help keep the plastic retainer from breaking which is a special order part and crucial to keeping the door handle working (although I've rigged up a ghetto washer and zip tie solution in the past!). The only caveat with using heat is that it has the very small chance of keeping the plastic retainer "bent" out of shape, so you'd just need to reheat it and bend it back into shape (and let it cool) before inserting it back in.

Hi, I'm new to nsxprime and glad to be finally active! I've had my Silverstone 2005 for 4 years now.
I have over 40 years of design experience, and have designed two great devices for our NSXs.

The RX is a frictionless pulley assembly that replaces the static nylon guide on the window regulator. Use it in conjunction with the Science of Speed yellow window guides. Both of my windows are like butter now.

The RSX is the Rear Sash eXtractor. My passenger side sash removal was a nightmare, so i created this small tool to help with the driver side. It makes the sash arm removal portion of the job a breeze! Attach the tool to the sash arm, turn the knob, the arm pops free. Contact me at [email protected] for more details. Steve

Back