• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From generic LEDs to OEM to Boslla Bullet B1.

The first time driving my new, to me, 91 NSX at night was a bit of a shock. I knew from the listing that the low beams had been replaced with LEDs but I was not prepared for how bad they were. The low beams left a disconcerting dark spot in the middle of the road and the OEM brights left peculiar shadows right in the line of sight.

Thankfully, the seller gave me the OEM bulbs (His prior owner changed to LED and passed on the OEMs.) Also, I’d started watching the Lap of the World Youtube channel for some sound NSX advice and found this on LEDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LypYs70MEkA

I swapped in the OEM, which were much better, and then swapped in the Boslla 9006s, which were better still. Pics from 20+/- feet from flat surface (right side beam is a little low.)

Generic LEDs
414489721.jpg
[/IMG]

OEM
414489730.jpg
[/IMG]

Boslla
414489727.jpg
[/IMG]

The difference was even more apparent over a longer distance.

414489723.jpg
[/IMG]

414489729.jpg
[/IMG]

414489726.jpg
[/IMG]

With the brights, you can see the shadow, which was more vivid than the picture shows. It largely went away with the OEMs but the Boslla’s get rid of it.

414489722.jpg
[/IMG]

414489728.jpg
[/IMG]

414489725.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are the generics and also the Boslla’s

414489724.jpg
[/IMG]

414489732.jpg
[/IMG]

414489731.jpg
[/IMG]

I bought 9005 high beams as well but the box came with another set of 9006s inside. I’ve contacted Boslla through Amazon and they got back to me in a day and are shipping some 9005’s. (Awaiting confirmation.) Will fix that passenger side light alignment (or try at least. Tried adjusting the driver’s side, to no avail.) and put up some more pics when done.

I have to tell you, I am thrilled to be able to see where I’m going!

Last edited:
Hmm, will have to figure out why pics not showing.

Hmm, not sure why pics not showing. Will have to sort it out later.

If you are linking pictures from an outside host, you have to select "from URL" in the action window, paste the image link and uncheck "retrieve remote file". Should work, assuming the pics are set to be shared on the host site.

Thanks Honcho. That did it.

So the Boslla are LED? From what I read LEDs have great heat efficiency and are instant-on but expensive and sometimes not as powerful as HIDs. Then again, I'm also guessing the LED ones don't come with ballasts.

3000 Lumens is very bright. I would hate to get high beamed by an LED that bright!

So the Boslla are LED? From what I read LEDs have great heat efficiency and are instant-on but expensive and sometimes not as powerful as HIDs. Then again, I'm also guessing the LED ones don't come with ballasts.

3000 Lumens is very bright. I would hate to get high beamed by an LED that bright!

LEDs have come a long way in terms of quality and durability. Only real issue now on the NSX is fitting the dust covers. I installed the Hikari 2020 version on my low beams. Will make sure to update one the car is back together.

These were $40 for the 9006s and the same again for the 9005s (still pending confirmation from Boslla that they're going to send me the correct 9005s.) That grated area at the back of the units contains a fan for cooling. If you turn on the lights with the car off, you can hear the fan if you are close to the bulbs. The generic LEDs that came with the car didn't have the dust caps and they'd been on the car for 5 years and looked no worse for the wear. I'm still figuring out what to do about the dust caps since I'm also concerned about heat effecting the unit. A member hear computer printed some extended caps that had a vent in the back. Too cool, but he didn't have the time to produce.

I also took a test drive with just the low beams since I was concerned about the mismatched alignment. No one flashed me coming the other way, which was a relief.

Update regarding high/low difference and result

So, I thought I'd received two sets of 9006s but the reality was that I'd received two sets of 9005s (imprint on white collar is hard to read.) The further reality is that it doesn't really make any difference. The bulbs are the same, only the plastic collar is different, which is easy to fix with a dremel. Installed the high beams and am pleased. Better than the oem. Great to be able to see at night.

414501708.jpg
[/IMG]

414501709.jpg
[/IMG]

414501710.jpg
[/IMG]

The pictures are not exactly apples to apples since it was darker out but should still be good enough for comparison.

I noticed that my picture host, the long lived but now departed picturetrail pics no longer appear, so I'm reposting in case anyone is interested in the comparison. Going to put up the generic LED's as well, just to show how poor they were.

Generic bulb
12 generic LEDs.jpg

Boslla
9005s.jpg

Generic LED low and high beams
3 LED low with annoying dark spot.jpg

4 LED brights with annoying shadow (2).jpg

OEM low and high

7 OEM lows field (2).jpg

8 OEM brights field (2).jpg

Boslla low and high

10 Boslla lows field (2).jpg

15 Boslla brights.jpg

And the collars showing the bulbs are the same, difference between 9005 and 9006 is only how they fit.

9005 and 9006 (002).jpg

One of the best, if not the best, mods I've done for less than $100. Gotta see where you're going, right?

Back