• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

automatic nsx

I'm in the market for an nsx and wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of buying an automatic. Are there any inherent problems associated with the automatic transmission?

Uh oh... I smell another flame war coming on.
biggrin.gif

Here are some links that could help you:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002027.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001862.html

Auto does not produce as much Hp (252). In my opinion it takes the sports car out of the NSX.

Originally posted by morpheus:
I'm in the market for an nsx and wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of buying an automatic. Are there any inherent problems associated with the automatic transmission?

Advantages: better in stop and go traffic, easier to drive fast as you can focus on the lines versus learning to shift properly, typically lower cost to purchase, lower cost of ownership - no clutch to buy

Disadvantages: a little harder to sell, manual owners will give you a hard time, gearing is not optimal for drag racing, gearing for over 125mph is not optimal, you may miss the shifting experience if it's not a SportShifter (95+)

There are No inherent problems with an automatic. While some folks state that the automatic can not handle the extra power from engine performance mods this has been proven thus far to be false. There are SC and Turbo automatics on the street today that are not seeing any problems. The only transmission problems I have heard of were caused by not maintaining the transmission as prescribed by Honda.

There are the purist that only will drive the manual, but I purchased a 95 auto with the tiptronic and just love it. I beleive you have the best of both worlds with this set up! The tiptronic lets you shift like a manual from the column, and then in everyday trafic you can just slide it into Automatic!

I have driven manuals most of my life, and find this setup to be great!

Strato

Originally posted by Steve:
Auto does not produce as much Hp (252). In my opinion it takes the sports car out of the NSX.

Sorry Steve but what is that all about? Using your logic then the Viper, Ferrari, etc. guys would say the NSX is not a sports car regardless of model.

You can gain the HP diff through exhaust, air and headers. The auto produces more torque at the lower end so it pulls harder at lower RPMs. You can SC or Turbo them too. If you want to kick ass in a drag race put a levelten torque converter on the car and wave at the manuals as you sling shot by them.

I don't think that he's saying that horsepower makes the car. I think that he's saying that the auto makes less power and does not feel as much like a sports car. I have to agree that (in my opinion) if you take the average car, and you both reduce the power and replace the stick shift with an automatic, it does lose some of what makes it a sports car.

That doesn't mean that power makes the NSX a sports car.

If power is what you're after... I have an automatic 90 Corvette convertible that will run the 1/4 in the 9s with the top down. nuff said
smile.gif

We need to start running that baby again so I can win some more money for mods to the NSX.
biggrin.gif
Oh... that's right. Can't because convertibles are not allowed anymore.

Any tranny, whether it be an auto or manual, would need to be reinforced for larger amounts of power.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 28 August 2001).]

I was in your exact situation two months ago, deciding between an automatic or manual NSX. I had never in my life driven a manual, which made it all the harder to choose.

After a LOT of thinking, we decided to buy the 6-speed, and I am VERY VERY glad we made that choice. While the manual is more "work" to drive, it is very fun work, and I simply don't drive it under conditions (lots of stop and go commuting) in which an automatic would be much better.

Advantages to the manual:

1) CONTROL!!! Being able to shift from 6th to 3rd, etc.-- and being able to use the clutch to exert fine control over the car's movement

2) FUN FACTOR-- There is something viscerally enjoyable about going through the gears in my opinion

3) POWER-- 290 vs. 250ish HP is a significant difference

Disadvantages

1) Manual is more work to drive
2) Clutch is not 100% flawless 100% of the time, and will eventually need replacing
3) Under certain conditions (stop and go commuting, lots of upwards hills), manual can be a pain to drive.

Overall, I would strongly advise getting the manual, and learning to drive stick if you don't already. When I'm tired or worried about stop and go traffic, I simply don't drive the NSX (nor should I).

-David ('01 Silverstone 6-speed)

"Realism came on the open road,driving what the intelligent customer would choose to drive if (as cannot be the case in some markets)he had the option,the NSX with automatic transmission and electrically powered steering.
Honda automatics are like no others and second to none.."
LJK Setright
The Honda NSX/Honda's Super Sports Car

Originally posted by drliu:
I was in your exact situation two months ago, deciding between an automatic or manual NSX. I had never in my life driven a manual, which made it all the harder to choose.

After a LOT of thinking, we decided to buy the 6-speed, and I am VERY VERY glad we made that choice.

There was also a lot of interesting discussion here at that time. I'm sure it would be useful to review. You can find it by clicking here.

[This message has been edited by Forums Nazi (edited 28 August 2001).]

Here's my $.02 as I have driven an autoshift and manual NSX back to back.

First off, any shift car is better than an automatic imho, and the NSX clutch and tranny are easy to drive; I think everyone will agree with me on that. The 5/6spd gives you the ability to have more control over the full range of power. But, the same can be said for the autoshift. When I drive my fathers autoshift, I usually forget to shift it because my hand/feet are used to working together. It's fun holding my foot to the floor with the auto and flicking the lever, but I also find that I'm looking at the tach more often with the autoshift. I think that I'm able to feel/hear the engine more so with the shift. Maybe that's because I have an exhaust and removed the engine cover, whereas my father's '97 is completely stock.

Secondly, the auto is fun to drive with the open top. My fathers 97 feels quicker than my 94 off the line but I know it's not. I think that's due to the electric power assist and maybe some more low-end torque. Personally, I like the autoshift, I will not lie, but I'm a purist and enjoy shifting.

The overall experience of driving an auto or manual NSX is relatively the same. You're driving a masterpiece no matter what. I say go with whichever one you feel more comfortable with.

Now for the shameless plug: My father is now interested in selling his '97 NSX-T Monte Carlo Blue/Tan/Auto. Anyone interested can e-mail me for more information.

-Cheers

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 28 August 2001).]

I have owned one auto car in my life (my current C43) and my only complaint about the car is that it is only available with an auto. That said, the NSX is a great car and if you personally prefer an auto, then that is what you should get. After all, you are buying the car to maximize your personal enjoyment.

However, if you are considering an auto because one is available or you found one for a good price - don't do it. Hold out for a manual.

------------------
Don't no nuttin 'bout no NSX;
Don't no nuttin 'bout birthin' no babbies.

Originally posted by David:
the NSX is a great car and if you personally prefer an auto, then that is what you should get. After all, you are buying the car to maximize your personal enjoyment.

However, if you are considering an auto because one is available or you found one for a good price - don't do it. Hold out for a manual.

And thus, with four short sentences, David aptly summarizes the essence of this thread as well as the 43 posts in the earlier one.
biggthumpup.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 August 2001).]

Back