• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spacers vs Wheel adapter for "dummies"?

Hi

I am a bit confused. :confused:

What is the difference between wheel adapters and spacers?

I did a search on Prime and read everything about the subject...but I guess I am just dumb..:rolleyes:

I just do not understand. Could anybody explain this to me?

What are the advantage to wheel adapters beside the "look" of the car? Are there any disadvantages that I should be aware of? Does it put more strain on the suspension? Does it screw up the car in any way compared to not putting on wheel adapters.

I read that with wheel adapters it makes the car feel like it has "power streering", but I am concerned that it will put more strain on the wheel bearings (spelling?) or other things.

Please explain this to me and I would be greatfull.

First I read this

Gheba's WW Nsx

That Gheba has wheel adapters and _not_ spacers.Then I read this and was confused...

Spacers

Could anybody please explain this to me. First of all I do understand how the spacers are put on, but I do not understand how the mounting for the wheel adapters are any different than the spacers...

I understand that wheel adaptes are "better" than spacers but I do not understand why.

Well I will not write any further because I will only be more confused.

Please help.

TIA

Regards

I don't know much about them, but I do know that ther is a section on the in the Wheel Tech section of the FAQ's.

KGP said:
I don't know much about them, but I do know that ther is a section on the in the Wheel Tech section of the FAQ's.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that I had read that section too. But I am sorry to say that I am still confused.

I may need to read it a few times and then I maybe a little less confused.

Regards

Typically spacer is a term used to describe a disc that pushes a wheel away from the hub, hence lowering the offset at which it sits. They are sometimes used to clear a tall caliper, a strut that is in the way, etc. There are some good safe spacer fittments and then there are "other" fittments as well. Due to a lack of time or a soapbox to stand on right now, I'll leave that one alone at that.

A wheel adaptor is usually a spacer of sorts, however a change in bolt pattern (and possibly center bore) occurs in the process. For example a common use (not by us!!!!) for wheel adaptors is on older VW Jetta's and GTI's. People will put a wheel adaptor on these cars that have a 4-100 bolt pattern on the hub side (that will bolt on the car's factory studs)and the wheel side of the adaptor will have studs on it in a 5-130 bolt pattern. This allows 5-130 Porsche wheels to be bolted on a 4-100 VW. There are often load issues, hubcentric issues, and a variety of other safety issues involved here as well. You will never see this in any original equiptment application, as well here at the Tirerack....you won't see it either. Most of us in the industry make strange faces when we hear people want to use them :D

Hope that helps,
Aaron

I think most of us refer to wheel adapters as any bolt on type device that offsets the wheels, i.e., a spacer with its own set of bolts. I use h&r adapters to move my wheels 25mm outward to help lower my center of gravity on the track car.

Most spacers that are thinner than 25mm do not have their own set of bolts, meaning that you have less turns when you put your lug nuts back on the wheel studs:eek: or you replace your studs with longer ones so you still have the same amount of threads covered with your lugnuts.:D

spacer is safe to use if is no more then 1/8" thick or custome made one to fit yor hub and use ET lug for the wheel(need to re-drill the lug hold). Most the Japanese car have hub size 4~6mm tall. If you put spacer more then 1/8"(3.18mm) you start to loose the contact between hub and wheel center. This might couse vibration. Average contact point on the bolt is about 6~9mm, if you put 1/8" spacer you only have 3~6mm contact point for the bolt. That is not safe!
Adapter take care the bolt contact length problem. Only problem is the thinnest adapter they can made is 19mm(for most the aftermarket wheels). to have the best fit for adapter make sure the center of the adapter is hub center.

In my simple brain it comes down to semantics:Spacer=a disc that does nothing other than push the wheel further off the hub when bolted.Adapter= indirectly does the above but more specificly allows for a change in bolt pattern say 4 lug to 5 lug.Hubcentric ring=small ring placed inside wheel bore to match the hub center of the car.

docjohn said:
In my simple brain it comes down to semantics:Spacer=a disc that does nothing other than push the wheel further off the hub when bolted.Adapter= indirectly does the above but more specificly allows for a change in bolt pattern say 4 lug to 5 lug.Hubcentric ring=small ring placed inside wheel bore to match the hub center of the car.
My brain must be simple as well, because that makes sence Doc. Nice reply.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. I understand now. (Docjohn simple and effective answer) :)

I have more questions thoug :)

Since a wheeladapter changes the width of the car it will enhance cornering abilities. It will also make the car feel like it has "powersteering" according to a post here on Prime somewhere. It will also make the car look cool.

This sounds all good too me, but are there any disadvantages to having wheel adapters?

I am worried about strain on the suspension and so on. That this will screw up the thing that Honda wanted the NSX to do?

TIA

Regards

AaronR said:
You will never see this in any original equiptment application, Aaron

Well, Some early porsche like the 944 have a OEM 25mm spacer in the rear.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by AaronR
You will never see this in any original equiptment application, Aaron
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Some early porsche like the 944 have a OEM 25mm spacer in the rear.

That quote came from my definition of a "bolt-pattern changing adaptor" , not a spacer fyi.

You are indeed correct that there are a few OE aplications with spacers in them. Early 80's P-cars are the primary example, as they started this on 1984 928's (and ended using them in early 1985 in favor of a correct offset wheel :p )
Aaron

Back