• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alignment

My alignment is a little off (car drifts to the left when the steering wheel is straight, need to keep it turned right slightly). I know a great mechanic in town that I've used for a while, should I take it to him or opt for an Acura dealer instead?

Also, can anyone suggest any optimal alignment settings for the street? I'm getting larger/wider wheels soon if that makes any difference.

I'm asking because I used non-stock alignment specs from the MKIV.com site on my 94 Supra Turbo with good results.

I'm assuming that the stock settings on the NSX are perfect though.

[This message has been edited by nsx808 (edited 22 October 2001).]

I know a great mechanic in town that I've used for a while, should I take it to him or opt for an Acura dealer instead?

The NSX alignment is neither simple nor straightforward. I would take it ONLY to someone who does a lot of work on NSX's (which means not just ANY Acura dealer, either). Greenwich Acura is one such dealer in Connecticut.

can anyone suggest any optimal alignment settings for the street?

Even on the street, it depends on your driving style. For most folks, the 1993+ factory alignment settings (see the Alignment section of the FAQ, under the Tires and Wheels heading) should be fine. If you drive VERY aggressively on the street and don't mind rapid tire wear, you might consider the '91-92 settings. If your miles are mostly highway miles, you might consider the "alternative" setting shown in the FAQ.

I've found that if you're running the OEM tires that if the car is slightly out of alignment you'll chew them up. When I first got my car I had an alignment done by a NSX tech because I was taking my car for 2500 mile road trip on a brand new set of tires.

Unfortunately by the end of the trip my new set of front tires were gone. It turned out his equipment was slightly off and just wore the 1" inside tread down to the cord. The rest of the tire looked new. I didn't notice it until it was too late as I did the whole trip in about 4 days. The dealer was cool about it and bought me a new set of tires.

Since then I have the alignment checked once a year even though I only put on about 6000 miles a year. Today I have over 10k miles on the set and 3/8ths tread left. For me it's the one thing on the NSX I wouldn't have anyone but an NSX tech perform.

------------------
hejo
Speed%20of%20Heat.gif

Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Assuming the alignment machine is calibrated and the tech knows how to use it correctly, the front end is not a technically difficult alignment, in fact it's rather simple. However, the way one setting impacts another can be very trying on the patience if the tech doesn't have NSX experience and that can lead to giving up with less than optimal settings. Again assuming the machine is good and the car properly set up, the final readings will tell you what you've got. Just don't accept it if it's wrong.

The rear is very simple for any alignment tech.

By the way, take a close look at the tie rods to be sure one isn't bent, which would explain the drift. From what I know of the NSX chassis and suspension, you should not see a significant alignment change unless something is bent or broken, or shifted. If one side is noticeably different and out of spec, try very hard to discover the reason. Chances are something has moved that shouldn't. Lots of tricky parts there, eccentrics and such. Another possible reason for drift is uneven tire wear or belt shift, so check and compare those side to side.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 22 October 2001).]

Originally posted by sjs:
Assuming the alignment machine is calibrated and the tech knows how to use it correctly, the front end is not a technically difficult alignment, in fact it's rather simple...
By the way, take a close look at the tie rods to be sure one isn't bent, which would explain the drift...

This is exactly what happened to my NSX. A cinder block fell off of a truck and I ran directly over it with my passenger front wheel. Well, not only did I bend the rim badly and gouge the sidewall of the tire, but I also bent a tie rod. A week later I took the car to a dealer for a tech inspection and they found nothing wrong with it. Then, when I took the car to another dealer for my 15k service which included an alignment, they could not get that side aligned. They ordered me a new tie rod and everything was fine afterwads.

Ok, so you're thinking what's the reason for this post. Well, when I looked at the bent tie rod, you couldn't even tell it was bad.

These cars have very specific tolerances, and if something is out of spec it will manifest itself very clearly.

Hmm, that's funny because on a recent scenic drive in Mass on RT. 7.. maybe a month ago, I accidently ran over a piece of wood that made an unpleasent clunk under my car. I hope that's not my answer.

How much would I be looking at for alignment at Acura? Furthermore, how much for the tie rod if broken?

Originally posted by nsx808:
Hmm, that's funny because on a recent scenic drive in Mass on RT. 7.. maybe a month ago, I accidently ran over a piece of wood that made an unpleasent clunk under my car. I hope that's not my answer.

How much would I be looking at for alignment at Acura? Furthermore, how much for the tie rod if broken?

I got my front end alignment at Acura for $76 or something like that and it seemed to fix the car pulling to the right. Of course I spun and hit the grass during track school so now I'll have to get alignment again
redface.gif

Originally posted by nsx808:
...How much would I be looking at for alignment at Acura? Furthermore, how much for the tie rod if broken?

I can't quote the price of an alignment, but I'd say somewhere between $75 and $125 is reasonable dependingon where you live. As for the tie rod, it only cost about $85 and the install only takes ten minutes since they need to an alignment anyway.

I got my front end alignment at Acura for $76 or something like that

...after they wanted to charge you $200 and someone here gave you some tips.
biggrin.gif

An NSX alignment done properly by an experienced tech should take at least an hour and as much as an hour and a half.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
An NSX alignment done properly by an experienced tech should take at least an hour and as much as an hour and a half.

This has been my experience too. Actually I'd be suspect if it takes them less than an hour.

Back