• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will 98 cluster work in my 91 NSX??

Guys, I have a strange question. I did a search and didn't find anything. I bought my 91 wrecked with salvage title. When we got the car running, the gauge cluster was not working. I believe it was like this before the accident because the title already reads not actual miles.
I have a gauge cluster out of a 1998 NSX. I noticed the part numbers are different but gave it a try. When I installed it, it partially worked.
Now, I don't know if it's the new cluster that's not compatible, or something wrong with the car like electrically (which is a possibility).
Thank you

You either need a manual or soem very good handy work. However, still a tough job to make this work properly.

What specifically did not work? Everything should be the same as far as function with the exception of the indicator in the center which now includes the targa top. It may help to compare pinouts between the two years.

Cheers,
-- Chris

The cluster did plug in perfectly as the pinouts looked the same. When I turned the parking lights on, only some of the cluster lights up. I mean the orange illumination. I can't remember exactly. I tried the emergency lights and turn signals too, but those weren't working in the cluster correctly either.
Basically I was curious, should a gauge cluster from a 98 work perfectly in my 91. This will help me know whether something is wrong with the wiring or if the cluster is not compatible.
Also, my 91 gauge cluster that I removed is at an electrician. Hopefully he can see if the cluster is bad and fix it.
Thank you

Back