• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial Spa Yellow Thread

Thought this photo was too nice to not share.

ae34a7b9f40b32b1a29f3b75e8422530.jpg

Black and gold coupe FTW. @Osiris_x11 may like this one. Seeing this photo, I don't know how anybody could not like the black roof.

From here:
http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/honda/nsx/628/1990-2005-honda-nsx

Last edited:
Beautiful Pic indeed! Thanks for sharing!

Isn't that the Honda Press Photo for the '95? UK model (RHD with headlamp washers)? Great photo, as you would expect. Wonder where it was shot - UK or Japan?

Can I ask you guys a question, this seems like the perfect thread to ask. I'm looking for my first NSX, hopefully a 97-2001 yellow or red. How hard is it to match the Spa Yellow paint. It seems quite a few for sale have had people back into them and needed some repair. I looked at a 97 a couple of months ago. I'm not a paint expert but even I noticed that one fender had been repainted, I didn't notice from some angles, but it just didn't quite look the same as the rest of the car when looking at certain angles.

There is another one I'm interested in but it's in the process of being repaired. I believe they are having to replace the front bumper. How tough is it to match the paint and how would they do it, paint the bumper, paint the bumper and blend it into the front fenders and hood, or repaint the whole car.

I really appreciate any advice anyone can give me. If it were your car, how would you handle it.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
Can I ask you guys a question, this seems like the perfect thread to ask. I'm looking for my first NSX, hopefully a 97-2001 yellow or red. How hard is it to match the Spa Yellow paint. It seems quite a few for sale have had people back into them and needed some repair. I looked at a 97 a couple of months ago. I'm not a paint expert but even I noticed that one fender had been repainted, I didn't notice from some angles, but it just didn't quite look the same as the rest of the car when looking at certain angles.

There is another one I'm interested in but it's in the process of being repaired. I believe they are having to replace the front bumper. How tough is it to match the paint and how would they do it, paint the bumper, paint the bumper and blend it into the front fenders and hood, or repaint the whole car.

I really appreciate any advice anyone can give me. If it were your car, how would you handle it.

Thanks
Bob

Very tough to match my friend....
Most Body Shops will tell you that you will have to at least blend
the paint in order to acheive success! But, there is also the select
few / handfull that I have seen that have acheived a really good
match without blending ... roll of the dice!

Good luck with your hunt!

Very tough to match my friend....
Most Body Shops will tell you that you will have to at least blend
the paint in order to acheive success! But, there is also the select
few / handfull that I have seen that have acheived a really good
match without blending ... roll of the dice!

Good luck with your hunt!

I just got my 97 spa yellow back from the paint shop after having a new ducted hood, 2002 rear valance and Shine front lip painted. The difference in color between the original and the new paint is very noticeably. The new paint is much darker. It appears to be Rio yellow and not Spa yellow. I'm going to check the codes on the paint can to verify that it is Spa yellow and not Rio yellow. Now it looks like I will have to paint most, if not all, of the other panels. I'm not a very happy camper right now! I feel that it was a mistake to have modified my car.

Last edited:
I just got my 97 spa yellow back from the paint shop after having a new ducted hood, 2002 rear valance and Shine front lip painted. The difference in color between the original and the new paint is very noticeably. The new paint is much darker. It appears to be Rio yellow and not Spa yellow. I'm going to check the codes on the paint can to verify that it is Spa yellow and not Rio yellow. Now it looks like I will have to paint most, if not all, of the other panels. I'm not a very happy camper right now! I feel that it was a mistake to have modified my car.
What about making them repaint the parts Spa Yellow?

Well, as I suspected, the paint the shop used was Rio Yellow. I took my car to a fellow NSXer's house and compared my paint to his Rio Yellow car, and the two colors matched. So, someone made a mistake. I think the paint supplier is the culprit. I have a part from the Rio Yellow car, and I'm going to present it to the paint shop as proof. I just hope I don't have to go to small claims court to get this resolved. Im hoping that one or both of the parties step up to the plate.

I'll keep you posted.

Well, as I suspected, the paint the shop used was Rio Yellow. I took my car to a fellow NSXer's house and compared my paint to his Rio Yellow car, and the two colors matched. So, someone made a mistake. I think the paint supplier is the culprit. I have a part from the Rio Yellow car, and I'm going to present it to the paint shop as proof. I just hope I don't have to go to small claims court to get this resolved. Im hoping that one or both of the parties step up to the plate.

I'll keep you posted.

Ok, I just got back from visiting the paint shop and they are making several excuses for the difference in color. They showed me the color card when they order paint for my car, including the Acura Paint code for Spa Yellow Pearl, which was correct Y52-P. But the color swatch attached to the card was much closer in color to a Rio Yellow Pearl car part that I borrowed for a fellow NSXer who has a Rio Yellow Pearl NSX. The paint shop manager and the paint technician finally admitted that the paint color they used is much closer in color to Rio Yellow Pearl than to Spa Yellow Pearl. But, they stopped short of admitting that a mistake had been made. I told them that the party that is most responsible for the mismatch was the paint supplier. The paint shop is now going to confer with the paint supplier, and I'm sure that the paint supplier will be trying real hard to shed responsibility. So, I'm afraid that I'm going to have a big fight on my hands. However, in the end, I also believe that someone will need to make things right, and repaint my car as required to get a paint match.

I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:
Update!

The paint shop is finally coming around. On Monday they are getting assistance from the paint supplier, and for the first time the shop said that they will make things right. I'll get the car back in about a week. I hope the repaint turns out OK, but I'm trying not to get mu hopes up too much.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Best of luck on this Mario. Please share with them the test swatches with the different number of coats of clear coat trick I shared with you.

Update!

The paint shop is finally coming around. On Monday they are getting assistance from the paint supplier, and for the first time the shop said that they will make things right. I'll get the car back in about a week. I hope the repaint turns out OK, but I'm trying not to get mu hopes up too much.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Good luck!

Hope a great result is achieved!

The paint shop sent me an email stating that with the help of the paint supplier's help, they have come up with a test panel that matches the color of my car. I'll keep you posted!

OK, the paint shop asked me to come in to look at color match for the parts that they have painted so far. It looks like they finally were able to get the right formula and made the necessary adjustment in that I could not tell the difference from the new paint and the original paint. There were a few parts missing parts from the car, so I have not yet seen the finished product. But, I feel a whole lot better now. I'll post some PIC's when I get the car back.

Back