Thread: Car runs rough/misses after HEAVY HEAVY rain!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Car runs rough/misses after HEAVY HEAVY rain!

OK, after heavy rain my car runs real rough and seems to be missing. Happened once after just washing it too. What's going on? Is there a bad seal or something somewhere?

The only thing I can think of is water somehow gets on the engine from the air duct behind the rear glass and gets in through a bad seal on the rear coil cover. Could that happen and cause this?

Only other thing I've thought of regarding rain is the Tubi exhaust. The tips are angled up and could catch quite a bit of water through the nights rain. But I doubt that would account for the rough running motor. Is that a problem anyway? I was thinking of making some slip on covers for the tips that I could put on when it's raining and I can't park indoors or when washing the car.

I haven't looked into it much, but this is the third time it's happened and now I'm sure it's water related now.

Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check rear igniton coils

You might want to check the rear bank of ignition coils for moisture seeping in. If the weather seals arent working or the coils are installed improperly, water could be dribbling down and causing the misfiring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Deuce,

I say 'ditto' to JoeShmoe's advice, and would check the distributors and all the wiring connected to each of the spark plugs. Same thing happened with my old alfa romeo spider. The seal on the distributor cap was bad, and every time it rained heavily water would get in there and the car would not fire properly. If it's running right and not firing properly after heavy rain or washing, I suspect it is an electrical problem somewhere. A seal is probably bad or there may be an exposed wire or something.

P.S. Still hoping on the turbo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem before. The problem is that during rain, water will come in from the air vent behind the engine hatch and it falls on the rear bank of the engine. The seal on the coil cover could be installed backwards(it should be installed on the bottom part if I am not mistaken. What I did was take the rubber seal from the front bank as well and put both seals on the rear bank cover. I have not had any problem since and I've driven in pouring rain.

Ak

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ak
    I had the same problem before. The problem is that during rain, water will come in from the air vent behind the engine hatch and it falls on the rear bank of the engine. The seal on the coil cover could be installed backwards(it should be installed on the bottom part if I am not mistaken. What I did was take the rubber seal from the front bank as well and put both seals on the rear bank cover. I have not had any problem since and I've driven in pouring rain.

Ak
    Just curious - do you just "clean up the water" or did you replace the coils, plugs, wires, etc.?
    Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
    04' Toyota Sienna XLE AWD RES with Many Kids
    00' BMW 540i Steptronic with M Sport Package

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by matteni
    Just curious - do you just "clean up the water" or did you replace the coils, plugs, wires, etc.?
    I just cleaned it thoroughly. I haven't had any problem since.

Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ak
    The seal on the coil cover could be installed backwards(it should be installed on the bottom part if I am not mistaken.
    The coil covers should be installed so that the rubber seal runs along the upper portion. This keeps water from washing down into the coils/plugs, especially when washing the engine. If youre concerned that water might be entering from the lower edge, you might want to run a small bead of RTV Blue down the lower edge of the cover and let it completely dry overnight before installing.

Most likely you have water somewhere by the spark plugs. If you think that you might have standing water still, then Id remove the coil covers and coil packs and use an inspection mirror to take a look. Use a shop-vac to suck out any standing water you might see. If the problem persists, then you may want to check your coil packs for proper operation: http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/sp...spark_plug.htm

Good Luck,
    DanO

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DanO
    The coil covers should be installed so that the rubber seal runs along the upper portion.
    wops

User Tag List